Sabres only need 1 regulation loss in last 3 games to clinch last place now...

matter2003

I wonder if this is how Pens fans felt when they got Crosby, only to see their team finish with 58 points his first season, same point total as their previous season. They finished one point out of 30th, so I'm sure there was no rooting for losses down the stretch with Erik Johnson, Jordan Staal and Jonathan Toews in that draft class.

This feels like one of those horror movies where the killer is dead, the light music is playing and the final credits seem ready to scroll, then...

Interesting.  I think I will be rooting for wins even if the team is not playoff-bound next year.  I will be looking to see a team stick together and cohere.

I will do the same, especially because of the change in lottery odds.

Even with last year's odds, I wouldn't be thinking about the benefit of losses until the very end (if things were not to progress much from this year.)  With the new odds, might as well cheer for wins to the end.

Back to this season, we're down to just two possible outcomes:

1. Sabres finish the tank and finish 30th.

2. Sabres beat incredible odds to finish 29th, resulting in the literally the worst ending of any Buffalo sports season ever.

Oh, Rob. Robviously, the rally cap poster of SabreSpace. IMHO, our MVP for two straight seasons.

Even with last year's odds, I wouldn't be thinking about the benefit of losses until the very end (if things were not to progress much from this year.)  With the new odds, might as well cheer for wins to the end.

Weird. I guess there's nothing logical about any of this. Surprised this would come from someone who's so analytical.

Amen! As much as it sickens me to ever pull for Carolina, a regulation loss on Monday would mean that everyone could finally exhale. It would be fantastic for the fans to be able to actually cheer for the team to win on Saturday and rid themselves of a year's plus worth of pent up frustration. It would be a well-deserved party and the tankers & anti-tankers could finally kiss and make up.

Putting aside the idea that Sabres fans aren't exactly the type to cheer for crummy teams — or cheer, period; howdy Eleven — I'm afraid if there was some outpouring of support, it would be taken as more salt in the wound for the players. Wouldn't it come off as "good job, guys, tank you, Sabres"?

If we don't get McDavid after all this torture, it's pointless.

It's always been about Eichel, IMO. Even with a 30th place finish there is still only a 20% chance of landing McDavid. He's icing on the cake (and, yes, who I and everyone else want). Last place at least secures Eichel. McDavid is a lottery draw either way and, if you were banking on getting him after this torture, you're just setting yourself up for more heartache. The "consolation prize" is finishing 29th and only having a low percentage draw for either McDavid or Eichel. If Arizona wins the shart, it's back to hoping for a lottery draw for Arizona just to land Eichel. Embrace if Eichel, rejoice if McDavid.

Interesting.  I think I will be rooting for wins even if the team is not playoff-bound next year.  I will be looking to see a team stick together and cohere.

I will do the same, especially because of the change in lottery odds.

Ditto. There is no reason to support a tank after this race to hell ends. Here's to hoping for a Monday night clinching celebration.

Back to this season, we're down to just two three possible outcomes:

1. Sabres finish the tank and finish 30th.

2. Sabres beat incredible odds to finish 29th and beat tough lottery odds (33.5%) with Arizona or Buffalo winning the lottery.

3. Sabres beat incredible odds to finish 29th and don't beat tough lottery odds with anyone other than Arizona or Buffalo winning the lottery, resulting in the literally the worst ending of any Buffalo sports season ever.

fixed

Edited by carpandean

Oh, Rob. Robviously, the rally cap poster of SabreSpace. IMHO, our MVP for two straight seasons.

Weird. I guess there's nothing logical about any of this. Surprised this would come from someone who's so analytical.

Putting aside the idea that Sabres fans aren't exactly the type to cheer for crummy teams — or cheer, period; howdy Eleven — I'm afraid if there was some outpouring of support, it would be taken as more salt in the wound for the players. Wouldn't it come off as "good job, guys, tank you, Sabres"?

The downside to last night is that the Sabres are now perfectly positioned to blow this in the very last game of the season.  

Would the gods be that cruel?  We've seen Buffalo seasons end with missed field goals, trick play kick-off returns, illegal goals scored in the crease, top defensemen lost to staph infections, goals scored through the side of the net..... I'm bracing for another nasty surprise.  We're due.

fixed

Value added. :)

With Arizona's 5-3 win a few moments ago, the Sabres simply need to lose one game in regulation and they clinch last place as they win the tie breaker with Arizona even if hey are tied.

If Arizona wins one more game we clinch regardless of if we win out.

More importantly is that the Yotes and Sabres are both playing hard to the end displaying pride and not disrespecting the sport. I've been more proud of this group of Sabres than I have been other more talented groups in recent history. If Vanek, Miller, Pominville, Stafford and others would have shown this much spirit we wouldn't be one of the worst teams in the league right now. Being one of the worst teams for a second straight season is embarrassing for most Sabres fans, we can take away that even though they do not have the overall talent right now, they're not quitters and they deserve not to have "fans" quit on them over the last few games.

The downside to last night is that the Sabres are now perfectly positioned to blow this in the very last game of the season.

Would the gods be that cruel? We've seen Buffalo seasons end with missed field goals, trick play kick-off returns, illegal goals scored in the crease, top defensemen lost to staph infections, goals scored through the side of the net..... I'm bracing for another nasty surprise. We're due.

We are due...for something good to happen. This is why all of the curse nonsense finally begins to evaporate. Once this is done, and it will be done, I never want to hear "because Buffalo" again.

Would the gods be that cruel?  We've seen Buffalo seasons end with missed field goals, trick play kick-off returns, illegal goals scored in the crease, top defensemen lost to staph infections, goals scored through the side of the net..... I'm bracing for another nasty surprise.  We're due.

If you believe in karma and the "Hockey Gods" you have to wonder if all this wishing for Sabres losses that has been going on will have an impact. What is that saying, be careful what you wish for. What if the "Hockey Gods" grant the wishes of some and the Sabres lose out and get 30th pick. The "season" isn't over, what if the "Gods" while granting this wish consider the "lottery" part of the season and the "Gods" cause the Sabres to lose out on the lottery and the Sabres have to settle for 29th and a team like the Leafs or Philadelphia wins McDavid? "Gods" are cruel and are often pranksters, just look at platypuses and Republicans. The desires of some may be the downfall of us all.

After all this "suffering," no. The consolation prize isn't enough.

Sorry man, but he isn't the consolation prize, he is the goal.  If you think otherwise then you have been misinformed badly, and statistics agree that McDavid is a silly goal since he can't be guaranteed.

I like how we had a garbage core, and we tore it down to rebuild and to build a new core.  And somehow that core has been perverted to some fans thinking these past two years are for McEichel (or just mcdavid)

If you believe in karma and the "Hockey Gods" you have to wonder if all this wishing for Sabres losses that has been going on will have an impact. What is that saying, be careful what you wish for. What if the "Hockey Gods" grant the wishes of some and the Sabres lose out and get 30th pick. The "season" isn't over, what if the "Gods" while granting this wish consider the "lottery" part of the season and the "Gods" cause the Sabres to lose out on the lottery and the Sabres have to settle for 29th and a team like the Leafs or Philadelphia wins McDavid? "Gods" are cruel and are often pranksters, just look at platypuses and Republicans. The desires of some may be the downfall of us all.

I think the Hockey Gods respect the long view, and the tank hockey sense in the long view. Thus, the Gods are appeased. In fact, I believe the Hockey Gods are going to throw the Sabres a bone - yes, I'm predicting a lottery win and 30th place. It's the ulitmate make-up call after some of the recent history (ie No Goal I & II, Drury/Briere)

Sorry man, but he isn't the consolation prize, he is the goal.  If you think otherwise then you have been misinformed badly, and statistics agree that McDavid is a silly goal since he can't be guaranteed.

I like how we had a garbage core, and we tore it down to rebuild and to build a new core.  And somehow that core has been perverted to some fans thinking these past two years are for McEichel (or just mcdavid)

It has to have been about McEichel. Any other explanation, if we get neither, is revisionist history. It was about getting elite talent. Reinhart's up there. But this doesn't work (Cup) without one of the big two. Or at least it takes a lot longer to work, and is a lot dicier.

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

More importantly is that the Yotes and Sabres are both playing hard to the end displaying pride and not disrespecting the sport. I've been more proud of this group of Sabres than I have been other more talented groups in recent history. If Vanek, Miller, Pominville, Stafford and others would have shown this much spirit we wouldn't be one of the worst teams in the league right now. Being one of the worst teams for a second straight season is embarrassing for most Sabres fans, we can take away that even though they do not have the overall talent right now, they're not quitters and they deserve not to have "fans" quit on them over the last few games.

I'm actually not embarrassed at all and I think there's actually a small portion of NHL fans who are a little envious of our position right now. We already own the best prospect pool in the league, and if/when we finish the season dead last we will also pick up a potential franchise changing player in the draft. I haven't been this excited as Sabres fan in quite some time

The Sabres final 3 games are far easier than Arizona's. I can see this going down to the wire.

They are but let's not forget Buffalo is a bad team and even teams like Carolina and Columbus are much better than us...Columbus is on a 9 game winning streak

You must not have watched much of Eichel. The kid is pretty good.

I would say that is an understatement...he dominated college hockey as a Freshman

I'm actually not embarrassed at all and I think there's actually a small portion of NHL fans who are a little envious of our position right now. We already own the best prospect pool in the league, and if/when we finish the season dead last we will also pick up a potential franchise changing player in the draft. I haven't been this excited as Sabres fan in quite some time

I expect us to become really good, really fast..playoffs within 2 years...moderate improvement next year, huge leap following year

Or you could simply be a rational human being and therefore believe in none of that nonsense.

They are but let's not forget Buffalo is a bad team and even teams like Carolina and Columbus are much better than us...Columbus is on a 9 game winning streak

If you went back in time 15-20 years and showed a 90s Sabres fan last night's game or, especially, the Blackhawks game without any context, I doubt they'd have any idea that we're a 30th place team.

The Sabres aren't playing poorly at all these last few games.  They're actually playing pretty well.  It took a Toews miracle on Friday and a lucky stick bounce last night to get us to where we are this weekend.

Yes, the Sabres are playing well right now but we just need one loss or Zona win to get McEichel. Sounds simple. How come as a Buffalo fan I cannot assume this will happen?! It is very sad that 98% odds aren't good enough! Why do I half expect Zona to lose all three and Buffalo to win the next two setting up a showdown with Pittsburgh who has broken Buffalo hearts before?

If Arizona:

Collects zero points, Sabres finish last with anything BUT 2-0-1 or 3-0-0.  One regulation loss would clinch it.

Collects one point, Sabres finish last with anything BUT 3-0-0.  One SO/OTL or regulation loss would clinch it.

Collects two points, Sabres finish last, period.

Sabres play Monday, Friday, and Saturday.  (CAR, @CBJ, PIT)

Phoenix plays Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.  (@CGY, @VAN, ANA)

Buffalo:

vs CAR 1-2-0

vs CAR at home 1-1-0

CAR is 3-4-3 in their L10.

vs CBJ 1-2-0

at CBJ 1-0-0

CBJ is 9-1-0 in their L10 (nine game winning streak)

vs PIT 0-3-0

vs PIT at home 0-1-0

PIT is 3-6-1 in their L10

ARI vs:

CGY 3-2-0

CGY at CGY 0-2-0

CGY is 5-3-2 in their L10

VAN 3-2-0

VAN at VAN 0-2-0

VAN is 5-4-1 in their L10

ANA 0-5-0

ANA at ARI 0-2-0

ANA is 7-3-0 in their L10

Edited by IKnowPhysics

If you're not ecstatic about Eichel, you don't watch minor hockey or you can't evaluate talent or you can't read the pages and pages of scouting reports. So which is it Andrew Amerk. Can't watch, read or analyze (hope you're not blind)? 

Like many have said, the whole goal of the tank was to ensure Eichel. I've trained myself to like his franchise story even more. A boon for USA hockey after what has been a decade of strong national momentum, right here on display in Buffalo. Match this with all the work that Terry has done with the Harbor Center and the organization has done in attracting U-18 events here and this fantasy tale could very well end with a new Hockeytown USA.  

All I know is if the Sabres clinch 30th BEFORE the Pittsburgh game, then the atmosphere in the building should be great for "fan appreciation night".  You'll finally get to see Sabre fans cheering the team, maybe in a way we haven't seen in a couple of years.  Not only will everyone want them to win, but its going to truly feel like the End of this whole process, and, in a way, the beginning of the new chapter EVERYONE has been looking for. That is what that Pittsburgh game might feel like.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.