GDT: Toronto @ Buffalo; 7:30m pm EST

WildCard

They beat the only two teams in the league that are currently playing marginally worse than they are. That's hardly proof that they're now world beaters because they're pissed about some fans cheering for the opposition.

But they're showing a lot of character!  And Buffalo is a blue-collar town that needs a team with character!!

This is really frustrating.  Where was all this "pride" earlier in the season when there was actually flickers of hope after that 10 game run?  So now they don't want to be in the basement and it's motivating them.  Sorry, followed this team since 1970 and don't root for them to lose.  However, that was the plan for this year and now they will blow it.  I think every thinking fan wants to be able to go to a Sabres game with a Crosby or Stamkos-like player.  While clearly there is a lot of hype over the top two guys and there's no guarantee it won't be Alexander Daigle, I think most fans understand, have put up with this miserable suffering for two years, and now want the "plan" to pay off.  I don't blame anyone at this point for having mixed feelings and being very disappointed about this sudden surge of "player pride."  Many of whom would have loved to have been traded to a playoff contender at the deadline.

Edited by Saudi Arabia Rob

It's a combination...

Teams that play the Sabres come in barely awake for the game, play their worst possible goalie just to get him ice time, and sleepwalk through the game.

The Sabres, meanwhile, are out to prove some point about pride and character and treat every game like it's game 7 of the cup finals.

So it looks like they are doing better than they are. Arizona and Toronto just plain do not care.

We just have to pray that Arizona gets points this weekend.

This is really frustrating.  Where was all this "pride" earlier in the season when there was actually flickers of hope after that 10 game run?  So now they don't want to be in the basement and it's motivating them.  Sorry, followed this team since 1970 and don't root for them to lose.  However, that was the plan for this year and now they will blow it.  I think every thinking fan wants to be able to go to a Sabres game with a Crosby or Stamkos-like player.  While clearly there is a lot of hype over the top two guys and there's no guarantee it won't be Alexander Daigle, I think most fans understand, have put up with this miserable suffering for two years, and now want the "plan" to pay off.  I don't blame anyone at this point for having mixed feelings and being very disappointed about this sudden surge of "player pride."  Many of whom would have loved to have been traded to a playoff contender at the deadline.

The "player pride" is hilarious.  Way to go, guys.  Nice job sending the league a message that your first 70 games of sucking actually *did* have to do with the fact that you never gave a crap.  Enjoy the big contracts and bright NHL futures that are surely on their way to you.

You got that right.  I have been a fan since 1970.  I have a gut feeling that this effort to unofficially tank may be for naught.  Oh well.

A strange calm has come over me. I think this is the last two points we garner this year. Now that the team has "challenged" itself to win the last 7 games and players like Meszaros and Co. have decided that all they need to do is "work harder", I am more convinced than ever that the newly found deep character of this team will promptly go out and screw it up by losing 5 in a row to end the year. 

The wins over Arizona and TO were completely predictable. As are the next five straight losses. For all intents and purposes, we are three points behind the 'Yotes given the tie breaker we have. 

This team of losers will go out the same way they came in. 

GO SABRES!!!

"The Sabres" are not blowing this.  The current shlubs on the ice that were openly disrespected are.  We gave them a cause.  "We" screwed this.

There are several here that I'd expect to run w/ this narrative; you weren't one of them.

The disrespect the Sabres got upset them so much they promptly trailed the Avs 4-0. It upset them so much that they were an OEL post from going to OT for a 2nd time against the DD's. It makes for a nice story, but the disrespect didn't alter their fortunes recently; the powerplay waking up did.

A team that had 20 pp goals through 68 games has 8 in their last 8. If they pick up 2 pp goals over that stretch like they'd been on pace for, they have at least 4 fewer points on the season and Arizona probably has at least 1 more. Which would put the Sabres at needing 3 points of the last 20 breaking against them to end up in 30th rather than the 8 they do need.

There is still a strong possibility that they end up 30th. If they don't, then they earned getting out of that spot. But their getting out of the cellar would have been started on 3/16, not 3/26.

The "player pride" is hilarious.  Way to go, guys.  Nice job sending the league a message that your first 70 games of sucking actually *did* have to do with the fact that you never gave a crap.  Enjoy the big contracts and bright NHL futures that are surely on their way to you.

Does anyone actually buy this line? The idea that these guys just suddenly started trying? Please, they're just saying things to justify the fact that they're just going to keep doing what they've been doing all season despite the fans. Nothing has changed. 

It's said riding the rail back with leaf fans smiling that they lost and asking me how I feel about our team blowing the tank and talking about how they will win the lottery... Of course I reply with, "how does it feel to lase to Matt Ellis" which shuts them up.... I'm still disappointed

Does anyone actually buy this line? The idea that these guys just suddenly started trying? Please, they're just saying things to justify the fact that they're just going to keep doing what they've been doing all season despite the fans. Nothing has changed. 

NO, YOU'RE WRONG!!! ANGRY MIKE WEBER HAS THE ABILITY TO AFFECT THE OUTCOME OF NHL HOCKEY GAMES IN HIS FAVOR!!!

Weave does.

Yuri:  Lots of folks aren't into your Marner-at-all-costs Agenda.

They'll come around to my way of thinking once they see him playing professionally.  These are the same folks that wanted Leino gone.  Now, they waive the flag of long term vision.  One thing is for sure:  Tonight, tonight.  Marner, Mariner - Ladies, Lake Erie.

That way when we lose at trying to lose we can keep complaining as if we're somehow entitled to successful sports franchises for some reason. 

yo Dawg, I heard you like losin', so I got some losin' for your losin'.

I suppose one way to try and find hope in this is that Eichel could be a bust - he doesn't seem dominate when I've watched him plus from his quotes he may very well be distracted by the temptations of success.  I think McDavid is a different person in that regard but chances are slim we get him no matter where we finish.  So if Eichel doesn't dominate the player we get stuck with could actually be better.  Plus Murray, unlike Regier, can wheel and deal and is very creative.  Add to that mix when we get close to winning at all Pegula will open the checkbook and buy a good team. 

That's the best I can do to console myself at this moment.  Is it working for anyone else? Someone convince me Strome or Warner could be as good as Eichel.

Edited by smj

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.