Trading up for McDavid if we end up at #2

tallskiwallski83

Will having McDavid give the team a better chance to win the SC than Strome would? Nearly definitely. But noone should believe having McEichel guarantees a SC. And for the most part, the only people making that argument are anti-tankers setting up a strawman.

So true.

Because we want the best talent we can get and getting a star to lead a group of very good players is the best plan in the eyes of many.

It can be extremely important that we finish last and not be about one pick (it was NEVER about one player in this year's draft, it's always been McDavid and Eichel). We want the star to cap off years of gathering fantastic assets. If we went into this season without those players then it would've been a MUST that we finish last and you'd be right... But we have spent years gathering these assets and now it's time to cap off the building.

The argument you three are making is confusing to me. What are you ACTUALLY trying to say? This whole thing was about one player or this season? This season, you could say, was. But the entire plan doesn't hinge on one pick.

I think THIS SEASON is a major let down if we don't get one of the top two but that doesn't mean the entire plan is a failure. We're set up well for the future either way.

We're not arguing against a rebuild. Nobody ever was. Everything else you mentioned is called a rebuild, maybe even getting Reinhart. But we could have tried to get better this year. Ted Black even told us as much (not so wisely IMHO). But continuing to bottom out and assembling a roster to do so is a tank job for only one purpose, to get one (of two) guy, period. You can get "high end talent" just by sucking. This is the one thing that differentiates what the Sabres are doing this year from what every other team does when trying to rebuild.

Let's not forget, also, that this quest for 30th talk started before LAST season was even finished, so let's not pretend that getting that one guy only had to do with this season.

I will be upset if we pick third.

"Proven to work" is a pretty big swing. This method isn't proven. It has worked, yes. But hardly enough to be hit-me-over-the-head convincing.

If there are no guarantees then why root for the tank?

I've found myself agreeing with so much of what you say in regards to things not related to the tank (especially in the politics thread) but I think you're way off here.

"'Proven to work' is a pretty big swing... It has worked, yes."

That's exactly what he's saying. Proven to work isn't a big swing. It has worked. That's what he was saying.

And "if no guarantees then why tank?"

Cmon. The same can be said for any strategy. It's a different way than we've been doing for years and years...

I am saying this season was about one player, actually 2, but one more than the other, in the 2015 draft.

I would be happy if the Sabres drafted 3rd.  What a choice to be made in that slot.  At 3 and 4 the Sabres would get great talent and a good piece to add to the mix. Both the Hawks and Pens added many very good pieces in addition to their top picks before they made it to the pinnacle.  LA took a different route ... the one I prefer, but whatever.

Even if the Sabres do get one of the big two in this draft Murray still has a lot of work to do in building a cup contender and, hopefully, a cup champion.  

Murray has made some good moves, but he still needs to improve the bottom 6 and to add some pieces on D.  Probably needs a top 6 winger too.  Not too mention something really needs to give in net in order to end the revolving door of backups parading through the locker room.

I am saying this season was about one player, actually 2, but one more than the other, in the 2015 draft.

I would be happy if the Sabres drafted 3rd.  What a choice to be made in that slot.  At 3 and 4 the Sabres would get great talent and a good piece to add to the mix. Both the Hawks and Pens added many very good pieces in addition to their top picks before they made it to the pinnacle.  LA took a different route ... the one I prefer, but whatever.

Even if the Sabres do get one of the big two in this draft Murray still has a lot of work to do in building a cup contender and, hopefully, a cup champion.  

Murray has made some good moves, but he still needs to improve the bottom 6 and to add some pieces on D.  Probably needs a top 6 winger too.  Not too mention something really needs to give in net in order to end the revolving door of backups parading through the locker room.

You know you're a Buffalo fan when you'd rather be picking a much worse player just because it's more interesting...

Data has to be a little thin for high-end NCAA players (compared to CHL players).  Not that there aren't any (Toews, Heatley, Vanek, etc.), but Eichel's producing (point-wise) at a higher level than even those few data points.  Tough to infer what he's going to be capable of.

Troof.  Since 2005, the only players to be drafted top-five and make the jump directly from NCAA to a 30+ game NHL season are Jack and Erik Johnson, Toews, Kessel, and JVR, and they were all drafted 2005-2007.  That's too few to compare as a stand-alone group, which, even if you could do that, it wouldn't mean much anyways, because Eichel is on an extreme end of that data.

:huh: Give what a rest? I made one comment like that. And it is notable that you would rather have the third pick just because it's more interesting.

Don't play stupid with me, no one is better at it then me.

This whole Buffalo sports fan BS.

If you really read my post I did not say that I would rather have the 3rd pick.  I said, clearly, that I would be happy if the Sabres picked at 3.  It would be interesting to see which way the Sabres went with that pick.

the bolded is about the only thing I can agree with in this post.  

Edited by Ligerovich 4GM

Only in Buffalo could a fan with that user name tell us it's just a rebuild. :nana: ;)

Good thing I've NEVER said it wasn't a tank. You're confusing arguments haha.

Don't play stupid with me, no one is better at it then me.

This whole Buffalo sports fan BS.

If you really read my post I did not say that I would rather have the 3rd pick.  I said, clearly, that I would be happy if the Sabres picked at 3.  It would be interesting to see which way the Sabres went with that pick.

Given the conversation and the fact that others have said they hope we pick third rather than in the top two I assumed you saying you'd be happy if we pick three as an admittance that you would rather that than the top two. While I think that's fair to think considering the context of the conversation it's my bad for assuming.

Given the conversation and the fact that others have said they hope we pick third rather than in the top two I assumed you saying you'd be happy if we pick three as an admittance that you would rather that than the top two. While I think that's fair to think considering the context of the conversation it's my bad for assuming.

No worries.

This season can't end fast enough, as nerves have worn to an extremely thin thread.

Onward to the draft and free agency ... yikes, those events may not help the tension around here ...  ;)

Wow.  Eff this season.

Why is this argument important to people?  yeesh just let it die.

Cuz I'm bored and can't talk about the playoffs, and winning is losing and losing is winning and tanking is rebuilding except when rebuilding is tanking and cheering is booing and everything under the sun is in tune but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Tanking is about getting elite talent. We'll never know how much this particular decision to tank was about McDavid and Eichel, but tanking in general with a lottery format is simply not about a single player. No team is dumb enough to stake everything on a 20% chance at best. You want the 20% chance, of course, but you're not going to discard players acquired along the way because they aren't that one player. Does anyone think we're trading Risto, Reinhart and if we miss out, Strome? Of course not. It's not about one guy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.