Joe Thornton, would you?

Claude Balls

I would love to get him, but he's locked in until 2017 at $6.75M/year. San Jose isn't going to just cut him, and I think the price of trading for him would be too steep. Trading Thornton would be a big indicator of a rebuild in San Jose, and they would want high picks/big prospects for someone as good as him. 

I would love to get him, but he's locked in until 2017 at $6.75M/year. San Jose isn't going to just cut him, and I think the price of trading for him would be too steep. Trading Thornton would be a big indicator of a rebuild in San Jose, and they would want high picks/big prospects for someone as good as him.

Not so sure. Things are ugly in SJ, either Thornton is gone, or the GM is gone. They will not both be in SJ next year, not after the comments Thornton made. I wouldn't be surprised if they try and trade him, especially if they don't make the playoffs.

Allegedly Wilson has wanted to rebuild and make sweeping changes for over a year now but Thornton and Marleau won't waive the no trade clauses he gave them.

At 35 years old each, I don't any return would be that high. Wilson should go to each and ask to move the NTC, if they refuse, I bring that to ownership and advise it is in the franchises best interest to buy out or just release. This team should have been handed over to Pavelski and Couture years ago. The two older vets are holding the franchise back.

At 35 years old each, I don't any return would be that high. Wilson should go to each and ask to move the NTC, if they refuse, I bring that to ownership and advise it is in the franchises best interest to buy out or just release. This team should have been handed over to Pavelski and Couture years ago. The two older vets are holding the franchise back.

I tend to agree. Their best years are behind them and even in their best years they couldn't get over the hump.

I should add that in the following post old inkoslav may have misunderstood my usage of the word hump. :blush:

I actually meant they couldn't win the big one. :blink:

Edited by bunomatic

They not only have no trade clauses, but no move clauses. So I think buyout would be the only option.

If Buffalo does get McDavid or Eichel, would you bring Thornton in for a few years? Looks like he is on the outs in SJ after telling the GM to "just shut his mouth". He is the best assist man in the league IMO. He could really mentor one of these young guys.

No. We already have too many players that would rather pass than shoot.

I tend to agree. Their best years are behind them and even in their best years they couldn't get over the hump.

I should add that in the following post old inkoslav may have misunderstood my usage of the word hump. :blush:

I actually meant they couldn't win the big one. :blink:

I agree about marleau, but not about Thornton, without him their possesion numbers just plain suck. 

If they want to ditch him i'd be glad taking him on board in the offseason.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.