Are the current Buffalo Sabres our version of "The Marshmallow Test"?

MBHockey13

I can't help but think of the famous Stanford Marshmallow Experiment when I view the two groups of Sabres fans - the groups that are patient and on board with the short term pain for the long term goal of consistent excellence, and the other group who want to do everything to win now even if it denies us a realistic chance at the Cup and could set us back years.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_marshmallow_experiment

"The Stanford marshmallow experiment[1] was a series of studies on delayed gratification in the late 1960s and early 1970s led by psychologist Walter Mischel, then a professor at Stanford University. In these studies, a child was offered a choice between one small reward provided immediately or two small rewards if they waited for a short period, approximately 15 minutes, during which the tester left the room and then returned. (The reward was sometimes a marshmallow, but often a cookie or a pretzel.) In follow-up studies, the researchers found that children who were able to wait longer for the preferred rewards tended to have better life outcomes, as measured by SAT scores,[2] educational attainment,[3] body mass index (BMI),[4] and other life measures.[5]"

For the record, I'm on board with waiting for that second marshmallow.

Right; because in the marshmallow test, you also have the internal struggle of morality when opting for two later vs one now.

Oooo look, a retread way of belittling the other side of an argument!

Agreed. Sick of this BS and this GD season.

Oh settle down Bio and Weave. Yeesh.

No. You know why? Because this part pisses me off (and was unnecessarily included in the OP, IMO);

"... In follow-up studies, the researchers found that children who were able to wait longer for the preferred rewards tended to have better life outcomes, as measured by SAT scores,[2] educational attainment,[3] body mass index (BMI),[4] and other life measures.[5]"

Kids who binge on marshmallows grow up to be thin! More conflicting dietary advice!

Ha!

What has morality got to do with it??

With marshmallows? Nothing at all. But it's been explained and re-hashed to death about how the anti-tankers decided on our stance and how for many of us it comes down to feeling strongly opposed to losing on purpose. I'm comfortable with my decision and I'm tired of having to explain it to those who disagree. But mostly I'm tired of the insinuations by those who disagree that the rest of us are in some way mentally incompetent, which is why the last part of the OP has me riled up. I'm so done with this discussion and this season overall.

I look at it like this. Why pound the pavement day after day to get a job, work hard at it even if you don't really like it or it doesn't pay as much as you might like,… when you can just stay at home and collect unemployment.

Edited by SumpfV

I'll gladly wait for the two marshmellows. And although I support the ' rebuild ' I've never advocated losing on purpose. Losing is inevitable though when you are in a a full on rebuild so if thats the short term pain I'll take it. Remember , I have no control over my favorite teams decisions. That makes it much easier to accept. 

Why don't we just fire Ted Nolan ? Everythings his fault innit ? :flirt:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.