Weber a 'cheap' player?

mjd1001

I know that Mike Weber isn't viewed by many people on this board as being important at all, but I had the opportunity to see the Sabres/Caps game from the DC area and listened to the local announcers.  The color guy for the Caps said that Mike Weber is a cheap player and disliked around the league by a lot of other players.

I just never really took Weber that way, as a cheap player more than anyone else.  Does he really have that rep? or is it just the Caps color guy making up something to have something to say?

dont read much into it. he also said laich is a cheap player

was a bad way of using the word "cheap" ... when he described it, it came out he meant stuff like getting under the skin of an opponent which players around the league obviously hate

Good. We need more players that other teams hate.

That was my immediate reaction.  A lot of players you call "cheap" on other teams are fan favorites when they play for your team.  Like the way Kaleta draws penalties.  Definitely a "cheap" move but he's good at it.  Must be frustrating for other teams and their fans.

I know that Mike Weber isn't viewed by many people on this board as being important at all, but I had the opportunity to see the Sabres/Caps game from the DC area and listened to the local announcers. The color guy for the Caps said that Mike Weber is a cheap player and disliked around the league by a lot of other players.

I just never really took Weber that way, as a cheap player more than anyone else. Does he really have that rep? or is it just the Caps color guy making up something to have something to say?

I don't look at Weber in that light at all. He seems like a stand up guy, and can never remember him ever taking cheap shots on other players. Edited by DirtDart

I hate him. My wife almost went to read in bed last night because his voice was so obnoxious. He also uses the word cheap, or "cheapie" as he likes to say, quite liberally. I pity that caps fans have to listen to him all year. In addition to his mediocre commentary, he also has no idea what's going on around the NHL.

Cheap, maybe contractually but aside from that he's a highly effective bottom pair/7th D-man. He's a guy you can insert into your lineup with no doubt he'll work his *** off, is experienced, and will stand up for teammates. Is he a top 4 guy, no, but bottom pairings/ depth defense men tend to help decide who wins series late in the playoffs. 

Nothing cheap about Weber - he's a pretty solid D player who's not afraid to make contact.  He's certainly no goon or thug out there;  I've never really seen Mike just cheap shot somebody or play dirty.  Weber's a guy, who, if you're on the opposing team, will make you work to take that puck from him;  I would think that would only gain respect in the league     WTF is wrong with Laughlin?  I've never heard him, or heard his broadcast, but that is stupid right there.  

Thought it interesting that during his interview during the Caps game that Murray referred to Mike as part of the core.

In the context, I took core to mean players who will be back next year.

Gionta, Moulson, Ennis, Girgensons, Gorges, Foligno, and "the two young defencemen" were others specifically named.

He included a "I'm sure I'm forgetting someone," but a notable omission to that list was Cody Hodgson.

I must say I’m very disappointed. Who cares if Mike Weber is a chess player? Some people make that sound like a bad thing. Chess is a wonderful game that helps people think through problems and be more objective. It also helps relieve stress and can help you to meet new and interesting people. I really don’t understand all this anti-chess bias around here, and…

<<shoulder tapped by Cheddar Chase>>

Not now Cheddar, I’m trying to make a point!

<<Cheddar Chase taps shoulder again and whispers into ear>>

Cheap?..........

Oh…….Never mind!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.