Grigorenko

DirtDart

Haven't seen him talk to media all year long, and if i was in his postion i wouldn't either because you won't have much good to say.

Zemgus will play for two next year :P

To be fair, a line of just Girgensens and Foligno is probably tougher to play against than most of the lines that the Darcy Regier era teams trotted out there.

It's hard to know really....what I think is needed is just time playing at speed. Indecision at the NHL level is the real killer.

Slower players than Grigorenko have survived in the league. 

Yep. I was thinking a nice comparison to the upside of Grigorenko's game was playing last night: Jason Spezza.

This also explains why the "earn it" doesn't wash with me. In Grigo's case it should be more about "learn it."

Whatever Hodgson has been through this year, you gotta give the kid credit for keeping his yap shut. 

It's actually been amazing how quiet and polite he's been.

It's a factor in why I don't think Coy will be bought out.

You have to think there is a GM out there who used to be fan, and who thinks there is an opportunity to buy low.

If I'm Colorado, I picture him with Duchene or McKinnon and say hmm....

Edited by dudacek

Nicely put.

Agreed. I can see subtle improvements in the brief time he has spent up this year. He needs to stay up the rest of the year, I think that will do him a lot of good. He has all of the intangibles to become a threat every time he is on the ice. 

I think he's earned it.  Frankly you can see when a player is taking a shift off and I think he's working most of the time.

This team is abysmal and no single talent will change that.  When the other team doesn't have to fear your offense they can take chances that normally don't occur.  This can become a misleading look at how a team performs. 

I think some talent on the Sabres is muffled because the other team simply can play a much more aggressive style without fear of the puck ending up in their net.  I watch Grigorenko make smart, quick, passes that are spot on and I feel that when the opposition has to back off (and the people he is passing to are better) there will be this awakening that he has somehow improved.

At this point I'm not sure that any single great player from any era of hockey wouldn't look much worse than they actually were if they were in this lineup.

It might.  That said, if the GM doesn't care how great a coach you are anyway then it doesn't matter what the team on the ice does.

not to get sidetracked but the best calculated move Murray could make was to keep Nolan.  He knew if it was a 1 year deal Nolan would walk.  So he offers him 3.  Nolan knows he's not going far here but he's going to do everything he can to convince another team to take a shot on him.

Nolan's other option was to say no and then have no chance of coaching in the NHL.

Done deal.

If no other changes are made up front, next year we are looking at:

Kane Reinhart Girgensons

Moulson Larsson Ennis

Foligno Grigorenko Gionta

Add a McEichel, a free agent and a possible Hodgson rebound and I'm not sure there is a spot for Mike in the top nine.

He's not a fourth-line player.

He's looking more and more like the square peg, and trade bait as far as Buffalo goes.

If no other changes are made up front, next year we are looking at:

Kane Reinhart Girgensons

Moulson Larsson Ennis

Foligno Grigorenko Gionta

Add a McEichel, a free agent and a possible Hodgson rebound and I'm not sure there is a spot for Mike in the top nine.

He's not a fourth-line player.

He's looking more and more like the square peg, and trade bait as far as Buffalo goes.

Bump Foligno to the 4th line and put Grigs on the line 3 wing.

Definitely would be inclined to have Foligno on 4th line when McEichel is added into the mix.

Am really starting to like this lineup in 2-3 years. Not thrilled with the idea of 3-4 rookie centers next year. I'd expect there'll be some other trade to bring in another top 6 winger and another D or 2 brought in in FA. Find a goalie and this team has a nice mix of skill and size. (At least on paper.)

Don't see that as matching Murray's vision, and personally I think Foligno has more to offer than a Kaleta or a Deslauriers.

I think he is pencilled in long-term as adding heavy to the top nine, either with one of the young centres, or on a shutdown unit.

And I think his play most of this season has shown he can do that: 15/15/30 with a lot of hits, some PK time and some protection for the kids.

In Murray's world, I think Grigo for Foligno makes our top nine too soft.

(Isn't it nice to talk hockey?)

I think we're just seeing the beginning of Grigo's physical game. He might be able to fill the role you spell out for Foligno, with a higher offensive output.

Don't see that as matching Murray's vision, and personally I think Foligno has more to offer than a Kaleta or a Deslauriers.

I think he is pencilled in long-term as adding heavy to the top nine, either with one of the young centres, or on a shutdown unit.

And I think his play most of this season has shown he can do that: 15/15/30 with a lot of hits, some PK time and some protection for the kids.

I agree that Grigorenko doesn't appear to fit Murray's vision...but Reinhart isn't exactly a big bruiser either. I think my biggest issue with trading Grigorenko right now is exactly what is he worth? I feel like we're selling at absolute minimum value. The team isn't going to contend next year even if we land McDavid, so I'd like to see Grigorenko in a position to get playing time and prove he's part of the long-term here or at least resuscitate some of his trade value. 

I agree that Grigorenko doesn't appear to fit Murray's vision...but Reinhart isn't exactly a big bruiser either. I think my biggest issue with trading Grigorenko right now is exactly what is he worth? I feel like we're selling at absolute minimum value. The team isn't going to contend next year even if we land McDavid, so I'd like to see Grigorenko in a position to get playing time and prove he's part of the long-term here or at least resuscitate some of his trade value. 

Girgorenko is still ranked as a top-50 NHL prospect. I think he pretty easily has a late first- early second-round value still.

Unless he emerges as 40- 50-point scorer next year, it's not going to get much higher. If he's in and out of the lineup i probably gets lower.

The presence of Reinhart (and Ennis) is exactly why I think Grigorenko will go.

Reinhart is a better prospect and Ennis the better player.

Girgorenko is still ranked as a top-50 NHL prospect. I think he pretty easily has a late first- early second-round value still.

Unless he emerges as 40- 50-point scorer next year, it's not going to get much higher. If he's in and out of the lineup i probably gets lower.

The presence of Reinhart (and Ennis) is exactly why I think Grigorenko will go.

Reinhart is a better prospect and Ennis the better player.

I suppose I'd be surprised if Grigorenko had late-1st round value in a trade.

At present, because of how little he's played in the NHL, I'd agree. Which is what's so frustrating about the way he's been used this year. I doubt they really know what he'll end up. I hope he isn't traded this off-season because I doubt he has much trade value currently but still believe he can (and likely will) be a good player.

Due to the Girgensons injury, Larsson finally got a chance and his stock has gone up some. I'd like to see Grigorenko get a legit chance these last 8.

I'm taking that from the Hockey News Future watch ranking, which is a poll of NHL scouts and management types.

Overall, he's ranked the 38th best prospect not in the NHL. 

He's ranked ahead of all but three of the prospects that went in the lower third of the first last year.

Perlini, Vrana, and Sanheim, the 12th and 13th and 17th picks last year are just ahead of him (34, 33 and 36), Malcolm Subban (41) just behind.

Hudson Fasching and Brendan Lemieux are 75 and 74 on the list.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.