Free Agents this summer, who should Sabres pursue and why.

North Buffalo

I say try and get Niemi for a veteran goalie but I'm concerned he will want some serious bank.  Sign him for two years and see how our prospects develop, especially Petersen.  If not, then I'd be ok with re-signing Enroth but I'm still very concerned with Neuvirth.

Not to be a hater but Antti Niemi is not the answer. Hes too slow and just doesn't fit that well. Id so rather just bring back Neuvirth. Younger, and cheaper
Pominville is a UFA? Thats very interesting.

Neurvirth isn't the answer.  He's riddled with injury as a young goalie so it's going to get worse.  i only say Niemi to get us some decent veteran experience for a few years.  He is definitely not a long term answer by any means, just a stop gap until they can see if there is anything worth a s**t in the pipe line. 

Offensive:

Carl Soderberg, Jaromir Jagr, Michal Frolik, Matt Beleskey, Andrej Sekera, Johnny Boychuk

Secondary: 

Brad Richardson, Vladimir Sabotka

Goalies:

Michal Neuvirth

I think for various reasons there are guys like Frolik, Sobotka that could really help this team while still in their mid to late 20's.  I have reservations on Beleskey as this is his first 20 + goal season.  Neuvirth, Niemi and Dubnyk are the creme de la creme of the unrestricted goalie market and I'm not really sold on anyone there. 

Via Trade:

Offensive:  Ryan O'Reilly, 

Goalies: Jonathan Bernier

• 1 month later...

Although free agency will not be the foundation upon which this off-season is built, it will be interesting to keep an eye on it.

It should tell us something about how quickly Tim Murray wants to kick the rebuild into high gear.

He showed his cards a bit with the Myers/Kane deal, but just how much does he want to fast forward this thing?

Free agency will be one indicator to look at. 

Is Hammond from Ottawa a UFA??

I think Ottawa signs him to a pretty reasonable starting goalie deal for two years. Nothing that will break the bank, but will give him starter money on a shorter term, and allow them to work on an extension in a year if he proves to be the real deal.

That's not to say some team doesn't try to overpay him for basically two months of stellar work. 

Then again, if he still goes lights out in the playoffs and Ottawa wins a couple of rounds or better, they might have to sign him for longer. I don't see them letting him leave after that.

The Sabres will obviously be looking to fill RW with free agency.  They are pretty bare in the cupboard, and alot of their prospects at that position are too young to bring up.

I think a name that sticks out is RW Michael Frolik.  19 goals, 23 assists and 42 points in 82 games. At 27 he still has a good 2-3 years left in his prime, which paired with a scoring line should bump up his numbers.

Another player I could see them bringing back at RW is Chris Stewart.  After coming on strong he ended up with 14/22/36 in 81 games.  What I like most about him is his toughness and ability to protect our star players.  He's a guy that can get you 15-20 goals on a line with Eichel or McDavid who will boost his stats and protect our superstar in case someone starts crap with them.  You need that kind of player on your team.

It's no secret that Murray loves Ryan OReilly.  Although they are pretty stacked at LW, OReilly is better than half of them.  He is young, can score, has a solid two way game, and is said to be a phenomenal team player.   You give up a guy like Grigorenko who Patrick Roy used to coach and loves, along with another LW and maybe a pick, and OReilly could be had. 

Finally, I don't see anyone on the farm system coming in and stepping up at goalie.  Lindmark did a great job, which I beileve was more about Irbe than anything (since the Sabres kept putting no names in net that would play lights out games at a time).  Whoever Murray hires as HC in will want assurances that he will be given the tools to succeed, and there is no reason not too this season.  The tank is over.

(Correction:  I see a player like Cam Talbot more of a fit. After a great season in NY he won't see a starting job for a while. He'll be looking for his own gig.  Better stats than Niemi and younger.  With a great goalie coach like Irbe he will only get better)

Sabres have plenty of cap space to bring all of these guys in (and might need to just to reach the floor)

Adding those guys to the mix, your looking at:

FORWARDS

Kane - Ennis - Frolik/Hodgson

Moulson - Reinhart - Hodgson/Gionta

OReilly -  McDavid/Eichel - Gionta/Stewart

Deslauriers- Girgenson - Kaleta

RESERVES:   Foligno -  Larsson

DEFENSE

Ristolainien -Gorges

Zadorov - Bogosian

Pysyk - Weber

RESERVE:  McCabe

GOALIE

Cam Talbot, Lindback

Thats a playoff team with talent

Edited by dejeanneret

Girgensons is a top 6 player, McEichel will not start or ever play on the 3rd line, and Foligno and Larsson are not reserves. Other than that, I like the Frolik idea, but will pass on Stewart.

I think Minnesota might try to keep Stewart. My friend who's from there says they are all thrilled with him and what he's done since they got him. He seems happy there, too.

Edited by MBHockey13

Girgensons is a top 6 player, McEichel will not start or ever play on the 3rd line, and Foligno and Larsson are not reserves. Other than that, I like the Frolik idea, but will pass on Stewart.

it's based on the talent you have.  There are productive third lines in the NHL, Buffalo just hasn't seen one in a while.  I don't see McDavid or Eichel starting top six.  That's too much pressure.  Name a LW on that roster who Foligno should be a starter over?  I can't.

He might be part of a trade, who knows.

With those players, I'd go:

Kane - Reinhart - O'Reilly (O'Reilly centers this line during the first half of the season, Reinhart for the rest)

Moulson - Eichel - Hodgson

Larsson - Girgensons - Gionta

Foligno - FA 4th C - Deslauriers

You trade Hodgson at the deadline and slot Girgensons on that wing.  Larsson slides over to center the third line with Foligno and Gionta on his wings.

I'm not really sure how this shakes out with winger handedness, but it's not a bad set of forwards (if a bit young).

With those players, I'd go:

Kane - Reinhart - O'Reilly (O'Reilly centers this line during the first half of the season, Reinhart for the rest)

Moulson - Eichel - Hodgson

Larsson - Girgensons - Gionta

Foligno - FA 4th C - Deslauriers

You trade Hodgson at the deadline and slot Girgensons on that wing.  Larsson slides over to center the third line with Foligno and Gionta on his wings.

I'm not really sure how this shakes out with winger handedness, but it's not a bad set of forwards (if a bit young).

Ennis?

Most left shots play LW.  That's the case with Deslauriers & OReilly.  DAmigo played RW and he's a left shot.  If you could put Deslauriers at RW then yes he's an upgrade over Kaleta and you can move Foligno into the LW.  Foligno is still young and did improve. 

I don't see them playing OReilly at RW. He's a lefty and has always played LW or C.  We are stocked at Center, so I don't see him playing there.

Edited by dejeanneret

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.