qwksndmonster

I broke out my old PS2 this past week.  It wasn't that long ago, but that machine already feels like a dinosaur.  It's amazing how something as simple as wireless controllers completely changed things.

The PS2 is over 17 years old.  How old do you feel now? :P

Wireless controllers and top notch headsets. The sound is incredible. It's very difficult for me to play games w/out a headset on.

And before we know it it'll be virtual reality. The Playstation VR, when a game is developed properly for it, is supposed to be incredible. Many refuse to play RE 7 with it. And the refusal is a good thing. For they choose not to because it's too scary and feels far too real.

A headset is one investment I don't feel the need to make.  I don't play too often and I'm happy enough with the sound system I have hooked up to my tv.  I can definitely see where it has it's advantages, but it's just not worth it to me.

VR is in a strange spot.  It seems like it is essentially impossible to market it since you can't give people a sneak peak of the action unless they actually have that system already.  It's something I'm not interested in for that very reason, I've never actually seen it.  Then again, I'm not in their target demographic anyway, the people who will casually walk into a gamestop type store and browse around for an hour.  I'd imagine that the stores have something setup to push that hardware now, but I'm the type that only goes if he has a specific game in mind.

The PS2 is over 17 years old.  How old do you feel now? :P

That sounds about right.  I was starting college at that point and waited a year or two to buy one.

SNES library easily beats ps2. Ps3 library was better than ps2.

The quality is better obviously, but as I glance through my stash of old games, I'd say that I have more PS2 games than PS3.  That even includes a bunch of PS3 games that I sold (Red Dead Redemption is the first that comes to mind) when I had to replace my system that died.  It's probably has a lot to do with the lifetime of the system though.  I'm flying by memory here, but the PS2 must have been around longer than the PS3.  I'm too lazy to look this up, but every franchise I can think of that I played always had more games on the PS2 than the PS3 (GTA, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear).  Not the most scientific way to measure it, but I think it's a safe assumption.

The quality is better obviously, but as I glance through my stash of old games, I'd say that I have more PS2 games than PS3.  That even includes a bunch of PS3 games that I sold (Red Dead Redemption is the first that comes to mind) when I had to replace my system that died.  It's probably has a lot to do with the lifetime of the system though.  I'm flying by memory here, but the PS2 must have been around longer than the PS3.  I'm too lazy to look this up, but every franchise I can think of that I played always had more games on the PS2 than the PS3 (GTA, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear).  Not the most scientific way to measure it, but I think it's a safe assumption.

No, but it's pretty close.  The PS2 debuted in March of 2000.  The PS3 debuted in November of 2006 (6 years, 8 months later).  The PS4 debuted in November of 2013 (7 years later). 

No, but it's pretty close.  The PS2 debuted in March of 2000.  The PS3 debuted in November of 2006 (6 years, 8 months later).  The PS4 debuted in November of 2013 (7 years later).

4 years already?  Time can go by fast. Thankfully with the PS4 Pro recently being released many are not expecting a PS5 until 2020.  That'll be 7 years since the PS4 release.  Fits average lifespan for a Playstation nicely.  

So the PS3 was actually around longer?  Wow, I would have never guessed that.  I assume games just took longer to develop on that platform.  Anyway, it's nice to be able to break out the (not so) old PS2 and have no issues other than remembering exactly which plug on the AV plug goes where.  I do not miss all the hassles that came along with any of the cartridge based systems.  I'll take some slow loading times instead of needing to blow on a game and trying to position it just right (paging inkman, unintentional innuendo alert in the video game thread).

Also, I forgot about one major tech advance that came along with the jump to PS3, internal memory.  Thank god I threw the old memory cards in the box with the PS2 or else I'd be out of luck with my final fantasy game.

This could probably go here, the TV/movies thread, and the awesome thread....but probably will have the best audience here. Netflix is going to make a series based on The Witcher books. I'm beyond excited. They're some of my favorite RPGs of all time, and the books (which I didn't read until after I played the games) are also fantastic--gritty, dark, brutal high fantasy. Think GoT, but possibly more vicious. Seriously giddy right now.

This could probably go here, the TV/movies thread, and the awesome thread....but probably will have the best audience here. Netflix is going to make a series based on The Witcher books. I'm beyond excited. They're some of my favorite RPGs of all time, and the books (which I didn't read until after I played the games) are also fantastic--gritty, dark, brutal high fantasy. Think GoT, but possibly more vicious. Seriously giddy right now.

that should be awsome

Have only experienced The Witcher 3. It was incredible! Netflix just made me very happy.

Announcement trailer

Gameplay trailer

Can't wait for this game.  Game is open world.  Can go the stealth route or blow everything away.  Choice is yours.  Days Gone is a PS4 exclusive.  Bites for the Xbox gamers.  

I wanna play NHL 17 on PS4. But I don't want to blow 35 bucks when 18 will be released in 4 months. I strongly disliked this year's Sabres team. Why do I want to play so bad?

To make them a Stanley Cup contender.   ;)

What's the big appeal to you guys with those fighter games?  Is it mostly about the ability to go multi-player?  I pretty much always play games on my own, so they've never appealed to me.  I want to get pulled into a game for months at a time, so I always flock to your longer story-oriented games.

What's the big appeal to you guys with those fighter games? Is it mostly about the ability to go multi-player? I pretty much always play games on my own, so they've never appealed to me. I want to get pulled into a game for months at a time, so I always flock to your longer story-oriented games.

For me some of it is nostalgia, another part of it is the "pick-up-and-play" aspect. Deep, immersive games with long stories are awesome but I like to pick up a game, play an hour or two and be done til next time. Also I grew up on SF2 it takes a long time to truly master a fighting game.

What's the big appeal to you guys with those fighter games? Is it mostly about the ability to go multi-player? I pretty much always play games on my own, so they've never appealed to me. I want to get pulled into a game for months at a time, so I always flock to your longer story-oriented games.

I only play sports games. My kid only plays FPS. I do not understand it. It's awful. They all suck since GoldenEye! And I take pleasure in beating him and his friends in 3 on 1.

I only play sports games. My kid only plays FPS. I do not understand it. It's awful. They all suck since GoldenEye! And I take pleasure in beating him and his friends ###### in 3 on 1.

The FPS games wind up falling into the same trap for me.  They ultimately wind up being the same thing over and over, only good with multiple people in the room.  If I can get my hands on 5 or 6 story based games, I'm covered for a couple years at that point.  By the time I finish that 6th one, I've forgotten most of that 1st one and can replay it.  I just recently started Final Fantasy XII, which came out 11 years ago.  At this point I remember very little and at my rate, will probably take care of me into the fall.

To each his own.  I'm mostly curious about what draws people to specific games.

I used to love the competitive aspect of FPS games. But then two things happened: 1) Everything was morphed into a class-based team shooter, and 2) I lost the free time to play enough to be good, and getting smoked by a bunch of 14 year olds who play 6 hours per day is not fun.

So I'm on to mostly RPGs and adventure games.