All-time Sabres center ice logos and red line designs

PASabreFan

Very cool.

I think I like 1979 best.

EDIT:  On second thought, 74-75.  I like that solid line.

The orientation of the logos at the Aud is curious. They went back and forth. Why orient the logo toward the ends?

Do you know why red lines went from solid to designs in the first place?

The orientation of the logos at the Aud is curious. They went back and forth. Why orient the logo toward the ends?

Do you know why red lines went from solid to designs in the first place?

I don't.  I seem to remember one team having three slim straight red lines once, too.

The solid color to dotted design for the red line was originally done for television.  On early black and white TV broadcasts, it was hard to differentiate the blue lines from red lines (they all just looked dark grey) so the League mandated that the center red line should be dotted/designed.  It's actually an official rule (NHL Rulebook 1.5: "...This line shall contain regular interval markings of a uniform distinctive design, which will readily distinguish it from the two blue lines, the outer edges of which must be continuous. (Paintcode PMS 186)".

And for every other team, too. Spectacular site.

http://frozennhl.blogspot.com/search/label/Buffalo?max-results=100

That's pretty awesome! 

The solid color to dotted design for the red line was originally done for television.  On early black and white TV broadcasts, it was hard to differentiate the blue lines from red lines (they all just looked dark grey) so the League mandated that the center red line should be dotted/designed.  It's actually an official rule (NHL Rulebook 1.5: "...This line shall contain regular interval markings of a uniform distinctive design, which will readily distinguish it from the two blue lines, the outer edges of which must be continuous. (Paintcode PMS 186)".

Huh! Learn something new everyday

What's the difference between 1999 and 2000? The year labels are a little confusing.

That year, if I remember right, the NHL required white ice to border the red so it's easier to see icing and 2-line passes. If you put the images on two tabs a switch between them it's easier to see.

What's the difference between 1999 and 2000? The year labels are a little confusing.

The inside of the (bison's) right horn is black in one and grey in the other one. I don't see a difference between 98 and 99.

That year, if I remember right, the NHL required white ice to border the red so it's easier to see icing and 2-line passes. If you put the images on two tabs a switch between them it's easier to see.

ah. that's why it looks grey.

Thanks.

The inside of the (bison's) right horn is black in one and grey in the other one. I don't see a difference between 98 and 99.

ah. that's why it looks grey.

98 has more stripes.

Shouldn't that have been considered a Sabres' CI logo rather than a Pens' logo?

I don't even see a 2007 Winter Classic logo on there, much less a Penguins one.  It seems to start at 2008.  You might have to help me out here.

EDIT:  Pardon me, 2008.  But it definitely doesn't seem Penguins-centric to me.

Edited by Eleven

I don't even see a 2007 Winter Classic logo on there, much less a Penguins one.  It seems to start at 2008.  You might have to help me out here.

EDIT:  Pardon me, 2008.  But it definitely doesn't seem Penguins-centric to me.

If you look at the Sabres page, the WC isn't shown; it is shown on the Pens page.

This is just awesome information.  Thanks.  I feel fulfilled for the day.  I'm going drinking now.

Seriously.. sometimes the coolest stuff gets posted here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.