The Dominik Hasek # retirement ceremony

LGR4GM

I slept on this. I tried not to over react or get caught up in the moment. Waking up this morning one of the first tweets I saw was the Sabres posting random crap people had said about Dom and his career. At that point I realized, my first reaction was entirely correct, the ceremony was piss poor grade A s#!t.

For the past 2 and a half seasons I have quietly been content with what the organisation was trying to do. I understand the selling off of Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Gaustad, Miller etc... in an effort to reform the team around a new core. I understand that the previous core just didn't have the talent and will to get us to the promised land. I, understood.

This I don't understand. Being a younger fan my memories of Hasek are less rose colored than most. I just remember that I liked how he flopped around and always managed to save the puck. He was fun. As I grew older I came to realize that Hasek had been the best player to ever grace the ice of the HSBC arena. A once in a generation GT that we would not see again. Yes his leaving was a major issue but he is a competitor and he needed to set off and win the cups he deserved.

Now last night after years of waiting the most talented Sabre player was to have his number retired. I would have started with him being welcomed to the ice by Hasek Heroes kids, the red wings who were on the cup team, maybe found some members of his Czech Olympic team, and of course old Sabres teammates and maybe even coaches who had played with Hasek. I would have given the most important of them time to tell a story about the man they know, how he was the Dominator. The video board would have lit up at some point with music that was perfectly timed to some of his best saves (there are plenty) ending in his Olympic and Stanley cup celebrations. Through it all the Pegulas, Ted Black, Ted Nolan, Tim Murray and Dominik's wife would have been standing in solidarity with him at Center ice. After all of that, I would have let Dominik speak, being introduced by Rick Jeanneret. Let him tell us of his triumphs and struggles and how he became the greatest player in Sabre history. Finally I would have found the 4 people that Dominik wanted most to unravel his Number and then I would have had that number ascend into the rafters of immortality with the Czech national anthem being sung live by someone. After all that, I would have had a ceremonial puck drop taken by the two Czech goalies who owe so much to the man being honored. Finally as Dom left the ice for the last time I would have had the Sabres and Red Wings surround him and raise their sticks to one of the best players in NHL history, officially ending the ceremony.

I don't work for the Sabres. I am no longer even in the same State as my team but even from hundreds of miles away I generated a better more moving ceremony in the course of 12 hours. Hell we could have had a thread on this very board that in the course of a week could have planned the best ceremony the NHL had ever witnessed. It is a rare day indeed when I say this, last night actually made me disgusted to be a Sabres fan and although I will always love my team, the taste of that lackluster, ill conceived, poorly executed, "ceremony" will linger in my mind for the foreseeable future. That ceremony should have brought tears to Dominik's eyes and everyone watching. Instead it brought nausea to our stomachs and pain to our hearts to see the best player in Sabres history retire his number with less fanfare then Rex Ryan got earlier in the day.

So to the Buffalo Sabres, the team I love, f##k you very much for screwing this up.

Sincerely

Liger, For General Manager.

Edited by LGR4GM

I slept on this. I tried not to over react or get caught up in the moment. Waking up this morning one of the first tweets I saw was the Sabres posting random crap people had said about Dom and his career. At that point I realized, my first reaction was entirely correct, the ceremony was piss poor grade A s#!t.

For the past 2 and a half seasons I have quietly been content with what the organisation was trying to do. I understand the selling off of Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Gaustad, Miller etc... in an effort to reform the team around a new core. I understand that the previous core just didn't have the talent and will to get us to the promised land. I, understood.

This I don't understand. Being a younger fan my memories of Hasek are less rose colored than most. I just remember that I liked how he flopped around and always managed to save the puck. He was fun. As I grew older I came to realize that Hasek had been the best player to ever grace the ice of the HSBC arena. A once in a generation GT that we would not see again. Yes his leaving was a major issue but he is a competitor and he needed to set off and win the cups he deserved.

Now last night after years of waiting the most talented Sabre player was to have his number retired. I would have started with him being welcomed to the ice by Hasek Heroes kids, the red wings who were on the cup team, maybe found some members of his Czech Olympic team, and of course old Sabres teammates and maybe even coaches who had played with Hasek. I would have given the most important of them time to tell a story about the man they know, how he was the Dominator. The video board would have lit up at some point with music that was perfectly timed to some of his best saves (there are plenty) ending in his Olympic and Stanley cup celebrations. Through it all the Pegulas, Ted Black, Ted Nolan, Tim Murray and Dominik's wife would have been standing in solidarity with him at Center ice. After all of that, I would have let Dominik speak, being introduced by Rick Jeanneret. Let him tell us of his triumphs and struggles and how he became the greatest player in Sabre history. Finally I would have found the 4 people that Dominik wanted most to unravel his Number and then I would have had that number ascend into the rafters of immortality with the Czech national anthem being sung live by someone. After all that, I would have had a ceremonial puck drop taken by the two Czech goalies who owe so much to the man being honored. Finally as Dom left the ice for the last time I would have had the Sabres and Red Wings surround him and raise their sticks to one of the best players in NHL history, officially ending the ceremony.

I don't work for the Sabres. I am no longer even in the same State as my team but even from hundreds of miles away I generated a better more moving ceremony in the course of 12 hours. Hell we could have had a thread on this very board that in the course of a week could have planned the best ceremony the NHL had ever witnessed. It is a rare day indeed when I say this, last night actually made me disgusted to be a Sabres fan and although I will always love my team, the taste of that lackluster, ill conceived, poorly executed, "ceremony" will linger in my mind for the foreseeable future. That ceremony should have brought tears to Dominik's eyes and everyone watching. Instead it brought nausea to our stomachs and pain to our hearts to see the best player in Sabres history retire his number with less fanfare then Rex Ryan got earlier in the day.

So to the Buffalo Sabres, the team I love, f##k you very much for screwing this up.

Sincerely

Well put. Just makes me think he didn't want anything elaborate. If that is the case the Sabres did a good job accommodating him.

I also have to wonder if he was the kind of guy that was so unpopular with his teammates that having the kind of ceremony you gave as an example was impossible.

Who knows. Regardless it sucked and was a piss poor reflection on what is becoming a bush league organization - AKA Hockey Heaven.

Sincerely

I'd like to co-sign this post.

Sincerely

That's seems a little excessive to me. I have no problem with the simplicity of what they had planned, just the execution and the TV coverage. Once they skated the banner over, they should have cut to the crowd and the wide shot. Don't show a guy with a headset up close floundering for a carabiner. And there should have been loud music the whole time, or even better, some RJ calls playing until the banner reached the top.

[/2¢]

Edited by SwampD

I have the feeling that you didn't see everything on TV that we saw at the game. There was a video montage of his best saves, for example.

The puck drop idea would have been a nice touch.

His speech was tepid--almost like he felt awkward at the attention.

EDIT: This line from the Mike Harrington article linked in the post above is right on: "When Hasek was done with his speech, there was an awkward silence." There should have been an immediate cut to some sort of triumphant music.

Edited by Eleven

i found it strange that his family wasn't with him... also, why have Gare and Robert bring out the banner and pose with him????? He must have shut some things down... I can't imagine the organization dictating some of those things. I'll ask my insider, see if he knows anything...

i found it strange that his family wasn't with him... also, why have Gare and Robert bring out the banner and pose with him????? He must have shut some things down... I can't imagine the organization dictating some of those things. I'll ask my insider, see if he knows anything...

The no family thing must have been his idea, right?

Gare and Robert make some sense; Perreault and Robert would have been better.

All in all, no, it wasn't the greatest ceremony ever. Pat LaFontaine, who meant a lot less to the organization and whose number shouldn't be retired at all, had a better ceremony, IIRC.

But it wasn't a tire fire, either. It was likely a very nice night for Hasek. And the replica banners that the fans got are pretty nice, too.

I have the feeling that you didn't see everything on TV that we saw at the game. There was a video montage of his best saves, for example.

The puck drop idea would have been a nice touch.

His speech was tepid--almost like he felt awkward at the attention.

EDIT: This line from the Mike Harrington article linked in the post above is right on: "When Hasek was done with his speech, there was an awkward silence." There should have been an immediate cut to some sort of triumphant music.

They showed the highlight video. I thought the production of that was craptastic.

I suspect Ted Black has a certain attitude about Sabres fans. He's talked before about a "mature" market that doesn't need to be told when to cheer, when icing has taken place, etc. I think he is content to let the mellow, almost burned-out atmosphere go on, because he thinks that's what "no illusion" Buffalo wants, and anything more energetic would be offensive or something. I've beaten this drum, but Doug Allen sets no tone. Imagine him in Chicago. The P.A. guy must be someone's nephew.

I would hope Ted is smart enough to realize that a certain generation of fans is , not dying off, but petering out. A new era seems to be at hand. It's just time to totally remake the arena atmosphere for when we are good again. That's when it comes back to the role your building plays in a few extra points here and there, which could be the difference in making the playoffs or not, or in one more playoff win, because it's such an intimidating place to play. If creating that atmosphere is a problem for the bean-counters, because some old STHs, or because Chet and Muffy, don't like it, shame on this franchise and its owner, who made it known he doesn't dirty himself with concerns about money.

Great post Liger.

I suspect Ted Black has a certain attitude about Sabres fans. He's talked before about a "mature" market that doesn't need to be told when to cheer, when icing has taken place, etc. I think he is content to let the mellow, almost burned-out atmosphere go on, because he thinks that's what "no illusion" Buffalo wants, and anything more energetic would be offensive or something. I've beaten this drum, but Doug Allen sets no tone. Imagine him in Chicago. The P.A. guy must be someone's nephew.

I would hope Ted is smart enough to realize that a certain generation of fans is , not dying off, but petering out. A new era seems to be at hand. It's just time to totally remake the arena atmosphere for when we are good again. That's when it comes back to the role your building plays in a few extra points here and there, which could be the difference in making the playoffs or not, or in one more playoff win, because it's such an intimidating place to play. If creating that atmosphere is a problem for the bean-counters, because some old STHs, or because Chet and Muffy, don't like it, shame on this franchise and its owner, who made it known he doesn't dirty himself with concerns about money.

Great post Liger.

I think most of the "old STHs" would welcome the disappearance of crappy in-game music, applause-o-meters or whatever they're called, stuffed animals rappelling down a wire, and similar gimmicks. It seems to be parents with children at the game who are into all that nonsense.

I think most of the "old STHs" would welcome the disappearance of crappy in-game music, applause-o-meters or whatever they're called, stuffed animals rappelling down a wire, and similar gimmicks. It seems to be parents with children at the game who are into all that nonsense.

Why can't there be a hockey atmosphere? Isn't Kim Kickass? She knows hockey, allegedly, and I think I've heard she's overseeing all of this stuff. Doesn't she understand? Can't we start with the idea that a raucous atmosphere helps the team win, and making things family-friendly should be way down the list? And, yes, I know, it's never going to be raucous until the team is good.

Mike H. did burn himself by criticizing the in-game host's pronunciation of "Hasek." He doesn't know how it's pronounced either. Almost no one ever says it the right way, the way Dom does: HAH-sheck.

It just made me feel old.

This kind of nails it. We are starving, even us old nostalgic guys, for a new chapter, new legends, new greatest goals and games. Starving. When Rick said something about the "storied" Sabres franchise, I sighed. Storied? Really? They have to keep inflating what this franchise has been to make us feel better about today? It's been a good franchise, honestly. I do love it. But let's stop glorifying it. I swear, if another Sabre is inducted into the "Rafters Club" any time soon (is this really a thing? are there free lap dances, free drinks?), I am done.

Why can't there be a hockey atmosphere? Isn't Kim Kickass? She knows hockey, allegedly, and I think I've heard she's overseeing all of this stuff. Doesn't she understand? Can't we start with the idea that a raucous atmosphere helps the team win, and making things family-friendly should be way down the list? And, yes, I know, it's never going to be raucous until the team is good.

Mike H. did burn himself by criticizing the in-game host's pronunciation of "Hasek." He doesn't know how it's pronounced either. Almost no one ever says it the right way, the way Dom does: HAH-sheck.

What's a "hockey atmosphere" and does it mean the same to you as everyone else?

What's a "hockey atmosphere" and does it mean the same to you as everyone else?

I can't speak for PA, but for me, it starts and ends with having a decent team on the ice. The arena is plenty loud when the team is good. It didn't quiet down until 2012 (and I'm not interested in going around on this again).

Maybe Pegula Entertainment Corp. has diverted more of it's entertainment and planning resources to the real estate development side and the $1.4 billion team instead of the $180 million team?

The Sabres can pretty much run on auto-pilot. They successfully got a good portion of the fanbase to actually crave losing, let alone accept it. The building is the same, the vendors the same, the marketing and PR guys the same as always.....it's running like a finely tuned 2008 Toyota Corolla. There's plenty of miles left on that thing.

I will compare the atmosphere to going out drinking. When the team is good it is like going to a nightclub. Dancing, having drinks, and not knowing what the end of then night may bring. You might leave empty handed but you still had a good time.

When a team is this bad its like going to the Elks. Same people, many waiting to smoke their final cigarette, and just go home feeling like all you did was kill time. At least the drinks were cheap. Problem is hockey isn't cheap.

So as you sit there watching another epic showdown you start thinking of the money you are pissing away. You get depressed, could care less if we manage to score more than one goal, and then go home and vent on this forum. This is our hockey life and it SUCKS!!

I Haven't read sll the replies but I hope that pr side of the sabres shows that level respect that pegula family has shown in the recent past to the people that made life so entertaining in buffalo in the 70s and 80s. Hasek was one the stars of the 99 run which I am sure the kids that witnessed that era felt the same reverence for Dom as those of us that saw the French connection as kids and adults as well. We all have things go wrong but during a season like this, it seems, the team much show the a more exaggerated level of respect for former players and the fans who are present during this time where the product on the ice doesn't resemble any other time in sabres history.

I agree with direction of the team and am happy that we identified players on the other endof their careers so we are not witnessing first hand the debacle in Minnesota with nothing to show for it. The fact that we also aren't Edmonton and we are giving our future time to develope in the minors also makes me proud. There is only so much Tim Murray can do to make up for the inabilty to retain the future and the bad drafting by Mr Regier. I hope in the future the team will continue to show the same level of love and respect to everyone involved w the sabres that the team recieved nightly from its wealth of fans which validates nightly the idea of One Buffalo.

It's hard to define and no. But, Scott, they're not even trying.

I don't go to a lot of games (obviously not the Sabres, but the Caps neither). I couldn't define a hockey atmosphere other than the game being played. I think much would be tied to memories from our youth, but those are memories of what we think it should like. Our kids don't have the same memories or preferences.

I hear the same complaints here in MD/DC. I just don't know what they should do differently. Everyone complains about stadium/arena music. Not sure what anyone really wants to hear...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.