(OT) Skating at Canalside

PASabreFan

2014 was the first year of my life where I never set foot in the Buffalo area for even a single day. Is it crazy that I kind of want to go back just to see this place?

Same here, shrader... last year was the first one where I didn't come up for a game, and this year is likely to be a repeat. But I really find myself wanting to, just to see Canalside in person.

Heading up this weekend to watch the Sabres play the Flyers. Getting to Buffalo early just so I can skate at Canal Side. Is there someplace my wife can watch that is at least out of the elements? She is a gamer, but standing out side watching me skate will get old quick.

There are some tented structures with heat. There are "windows" that are just clear plastic openings, so she's not going to see much.

Heading up this weekend to watch the Sabres play the Flyers. Getting to Buffalo early just so I can skate at Canal Side. Is there someplace my wife can watch that is at least out of the elements? She is a gamer, but standing out side watching me skate will get old quick.

You could also check the Harborcenter to see if they have open skates that way you can skate indoors.

Thanks for the heads up! But if at all possible, and it looks like the weather will cooperate, I would like a "sentimental" skate. I'll be but one, of a few I'm sure, of the old guys skating around the rink in a whole different world. A world circa late 70's. Trying to picture the Aud, remembering being bundled up in cotton and wool clothing playing hockey and skating on one of the many frozen ponds or back yard rinks that where around back then. If I skate up a good sweat, poor some beer on me a lay on the ice for a bit I may even be able to recreate that Aud smell....

Thanks to the rest of you that let me know my wife has a few options available, and I can assure her from a very reputable source that she will be able to stay warm while I go for a skate. My bet is she takes a few pictures, checks out the heated tent, then straight to the bar. I think I look forward to the skate, drinks/food at one of the new or old bars (that will be a spontaneous decision), as much if not more than the game.

Edited by Woods-Racer

It can't be that far.

It probably isn't that far.

I think I remember walking past that area. It's a hop, skip and a jump.

A hop, skip, and a jump doesn't sound too far.

The bar is Liberty Hound. I'm still not sure how far it is. :-p

Shouldn't be too far.

There's also Tim Hortons, which should only be a hop away, or 716, which is a hop, skip and 40 min wait in the cold away.

Thanks for the heads up! But if at all possible, and it looks like the weather will cooperate, I would like a "sentimental" skate. I'll be but one, of a few I'm sure, of the old guys skating around the rink in a whole different world. A world circa late 70's. Trying to picture the Aud, remembering being bundled up in cotton and wool clothing playing hockey and skating on one of the many frozen ponds or back yard rinks that where around back then. If I skate up a good sweat, poor some beer on me a lay on the ice for a bit I may even be able to recreate that Aud smell....

Thanks to the rest of you that let me know my wife has a few options available, and I can assure her from a very reputable source that she will be able to stay warm while I go for a skate. My bet is she takes a few pictures, checks out the heated tent, then straight to the bar. I think I look forward to the skate, drinks/food at one of the new or old bars (that will be a spontaneous decision), as much if not more than the game.

The bar is Liberty Hound. I'm still not sure how far it is. :-p

It's just over one of the Canalside bridges. It's usually open a few hours before game time in the Winter.

I'm not so sure now....There is hopping, skipping, jumping, country miles, bridges and standing in the cold for long periods, all to get a beer? You guys and gals are still talking Buffalo, NY right? Because that sounds way to Canadian.... the bridge mentioned isn't the Peace Bridge is it? New to the forum, where's the little round yellow smiley dude that looks like sarcasm?

I'm not so sure now....There is hopping, skipping, jumping, country miles, bridges and standing in the cold for long periods, all to get a beer? You guys and gals are still talking Buffalo, NY right? Because that sounds way to Canadian.... the bridge mentioned isn't the Peace Bridge is it? New to the forum, where's the little round yellow smiley dude that looks like sarcasm?

a point and a click away, so not too far.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.