(OT) Skating at Canalside

PASabreFan

Thanks for the heads up! But if at all possible, and it looks like the weather will cooperate, I would like a "sentimental" skate. I'll be but one, of a few I'm sure, of the old guys skating around the rink in a whole different world. A world circa late 70's. Trying to picture the Aud, remembering being bundled up in cotton and wool clothing playing hockey and skating on one of the many frozen ponds or back yard rinks that where around back then. If I skate up a good sweat, poor some beer on me a lay on the ice for a bit I may even be able to recreate that Aud smell....

Thanks to the rest of you that let me know my wife has a few options available, and I can assure her from a very reputable source that she will be able to stay warm while I go for a skate. My bet is she takes a few pictures, checks out the heated tent, then straight to the bar. I think I look forward to the skate, drinks/food at one of the new or old bars (that will be a spontaneous decision), as much if not more than the game.

harborcenter is like 30 yards from the rink. There's 716 and a Tim Hortons right there.

I'm starting to understand now....I was under the assumption that in order to get into 716 or Tim Hortons you had to use your game day ticket and go into HSBC, and once in , there was no going out and back in again. Sorry I was so confused. We try to make one game a year, and last year our game was Ted Nolan's first game back, none of this existed. Plus it was a weekday game, get out of work, go straight to seats, game over go straight home. Last year we noticed some new bars and restaurants out side of HSBC, but wanted to get home. Mainly because we worked the next day, but also because the Sabres played the Leafs. The bars were filled with disgusted Leaf fans after losing to the last place Sabres and they were as unpleasant as ever. This year it's all about the "experience" and taking our time to enjoy all that is new (well to us anyway).

I'm starting to understand now....I was under the assumption that in order to get into 716 or Tim Hortons you had to use your game day ticket and go into HSBC, and once in , there was no going out and back in again. Sorry I was so confused. We try to make one game a year, and last year our game was Ted Nolan's first game back, none of this existed. Plus it was a weekday game, get out of work, go straight to seats, game over go straight home. Last year we noticed some new bars and restaurants out side of HSBC, but wanted to get home. Mainly because we worked the next day, but also because the Sabres played the Leafs. The bars were filled with disgusted Leaf fans after losing to the last place Sabres and they were as unpleasant as ever. This year it's all about the "experience" and taking our time to enjoy all that is new (well to us anyway).

Yeah, they're connected but separate buildings. You don't need a game ticket to get in 716

There is no going out and back in again for the game. If you leave the game to go to [716], you're done for the game.

Thanks everyone for the heads up. Would have love to skate (the skates were in the car) but the whole area was packed, it was a perfect winters day to be downtown and thousands of people thought the same. I didn't realize that the last time I took my wife to a Sabres game it was at the old Aud (the last year it was open), she reminded me of that, and loves the fact that we could actually walk around and feel safe now! No more going without her, she also made that clear, and looks forward to our next trip. Our last thoughts as we left to go home Saturday night where just how many people where there and the overall great atmosphere, for what is quite possibly one of the worst NHL teams ever. What will it be like in a few years when they should be on of the best teams....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.