GDT: Buffalo vs Winnipeg, 12/16/14, 8p

wjag

For the record, I really like Gionta. He's got your back.

Small moment in the game last night....he literally pulls E. Kane off of of Foligno back.

Those moments add up.

Yep. He's earning that "C".

Meszaros is brutally bad. Keep him OFF the ice entirely, that's the best strategy. Same with Benoit.

Hodgson hasn't been that great either. Putting him out there on the PP is almost like a 4 on 4.

Edited by Jsixspd

I know you're all about Grigorenko, but that game couldn't have helped your opinion of him

Fair enough, but its his first game and defensively he didn't stink much, and everytime he tried to break out in the neutral zone either the passing was awefull to him or he still needs to adjust to the NHL speed a bit.

I know you're all about Grigorenko, but that game couldn't have helped your opinion of him

He looked okay defensively.

Anyone else notice Nikita being on for 3 goals against. I love his fire and abilities but their were times when his positioning was wrong or he over committed. He needs to trust his linemate more... of course if I was playing with Meszaros I would have been like f### no.

He looked okay defensively.

Anyone else notice Nikita being on for 3 goals against. I love his fire and abilities but their were times when his positioning was wrong or he over committed. He needs to trust his linemate more... of course if I was playing with Meszaros I would have been like f### no.

Absolutely. We need a 5/6 who can step up into a #4 role with an injury. With a full roster at the blue line we can compete. If with any of our top 4 out, we struggle. I know on the road you can't just give them favorable matchups, but I think splitting up the kids might have been a mistake. They are so much more comfortable with each other. I it may have been better to just rotate one of the vets on Myer's left.

For the record, I really like Gionta. He's got your back.

Small moment in the game last night....he literally pulls E. Kane off of of Foligno back.

Those moments add up.

Gionta is a man and a leader of men. Wish he was a better player, but he's been pretty effective the past month.

Watched the game on replay after the Preds - Bruins game. Meszaros is really awful. It's to the point where Nolan really can't even play him (got only 9 minutes of ice time after a couple of huge gaffs). Can we just get rid of the guy now? Why do we have to wait until the trade deadline?

He's now 8th on the depth chart. I wish Murray would get over his tough love stance on Pysyk and/or Pysyk would stop pouting

Nikita's confidence took a boost from the Florida goal and he was trying to do more.

I'm not going to read too much into a sloppy fifth game in seven nights, but the kid has to find a happy medium.

The shorthanded goal it was actually ristolainen that overcomitted zadorov had his man.

And hodgson reacted to late on him losing the face off.

Yup. Risto had a tough night too. He and Zad both seemed frustrated that they kept getting trapped on the ice. The forwards were coming down way too low to help out and then kept blowing assignments, so the low zone was a traffic jam and there was no where to move the puck.

Tidbits from last night.

Both from Rotoworld

"Andrej Meszaros logged just 9:04 of ice time in Tuesday's 5-1 loss to Winnipeg.

He didn't get any ice time in the third period. Meszaros had a minus-2 rating and one shot in the contest."

"Cody Hodgson was benched in Tuesday's 5-1 loss to Winnipeg.

He lost a faceoff on the power play and got beat down the ice on a shorthanded tally by Michael Frolik. The goal gave the Jets a 2-1 lead and plenty of momentum. Hodgson had an assist in 4:55 of playing time before Frolik's goal, but he didn't get a shift after the Sabres lost the lead."

Tidbits from last night.

Both from Rotoworld

"Andrej Meszaros logged just 9:04 of ice time in Tuesday's 5-1 loss to Winnipeg.

He didn't get any ice time in the third period. Meszaros had a minus-2 rating and one shot in the contest."

He lost a faceoff on the power play and got beat down the ice on a shorthanded tally by Michael Frolik. The goal gave the Jets a 2-1 lead and plenty of momentum. Hodgson had an assist in 4:55 of playing time before Frolik's goal, but he didn't get a shift after the Sabres lost the lead."

Accountability.

With Grigorenko, I also think he played just fine, and safe, and whatnot. But I'm really leaning on him becoming a solid #2 center at least, because I don't see who else we can bank on slotting in there between Reinhart and Girgensons. It was only one game, but soon I'd like to see any trace of an ability to score regularly out of him, and I will be worried about center depth until we see it.

With Grigorenko, I also think he played just fine, and safe, and whatnot. But I'm really leaning on him becoming a solid #2 center at least, because I don't see who else we can bank on slotting in there between Reinhart and Girgensons. It was only one game, but soon I'd like to see any trace of an ability to score regularly out of him, and I will be worried about center depth until we see it.

Yeah me to, but was his first game back , and he didn't get a single decent pass thrown at him all game by his linemates.

It was after they missed the first 5 seconds of the last 6 plays too. They were flippin' terrible.

I got concussed at my hockey game last night. Destroyed by my own defenseman. I couldn't tell if Grigorenko looked handsome last night, did he?

No, but Foligno was looking pretty good. I had to go up and adjust the antenna. Then he was homely again.

Tidbits from last night.

Both from Rotoworld

Good - Hodgson is a slug.... he ought to be benched, or maybe just shown the door permanently.

To say he got beat would be a severe over-statement. That implies "trying" and to me it looked like he just sauntered up and down the ice.

He's totally gutless and tries to avoid hitting/getting hit. He passes away the puck like it's a damn hot potato, and a junior high player could knock him off the puck! Total wuss!

To say he got beat would be a severe over-statement. That implies "trying" and to me it looked like he just sauntered up and down the ice.

I really don't think it was that. The guy took the draw.

If Nolan had an issue with Hodgson on that play, it was probably because Hodgson followed his own draw to the wall, chasing the puck, which froze his wing and point and left center ice open.

I don't know how anyone can say Hodgson wasn't trying to get back. He was right there with the scorer at the end. Since he's not the most fleet of foot, you could also argue he was overperforming just to get where he got to. I hate the "so and so is lazy" form of analysis. I don't think it's hardly ever true. It's not like when Ovechkin's controller broke.

It's not so much that CoHo is "lazy" as it is that he didn't show good hockey sense on that particular play, not recognizing the peril the Sabres were in defensively and not backing out quickly enough. Risto was on the puck I believe; I can see him staying in there and trying to advance the puck, but by then CoHo should have been a step or two closer to the Sabres goal before the puck popped loose.

One might say that CoHo makes those mistakes regularly.

Risto and Zadarov had a rough game also, but they consistently have good outings; this game was the exception.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.