Do they cancel the Sabres/Sharks tomorrow? Nope.

Ghost of Dwight Drane

I'm in Hamburg, getting absolutely hammered again. Wife and I spent two hours up on our roof last night and got maybe 15% of the snow off. It was only(!) about 2 feet deep on the windward side, but around 4 feet on the leeward side. Very heavy and packed, so it was slow going. I'm glad we got some of it off at least, especially the large masses overhanging the edges.

Today I shoveled a trench from the front of our house to the road, just to give the rain/melt-runoff a place to go this weekend. My large maple tree in my backyard dropped all of its leaves on Monday (it's always the last one in the neighborhood) so my gutters are full of leaves and ice. I'm so ######!ng scared of what's going to happen this weekend. We have a split level so my finished basement is completely subterranean and our TV room is half-subterranean. My sump-pump runs quite a bit even during a normal rainfall/melt, so I can't see how it's going to hold up during this coming sh!tshow.

FFS, I reeeealy don't want to see/hear anybody else say that this is even remotely awesome and they're sad they aren't here. Please.

You have insurance on the sump pump?

No flood insurance, as my backyard slants downward and there is virtually no chance of a traditional flood-type scenario. I never envisioned a "perfect-storm" scenario such as what is happening now. I take responsibility for that. We did survive the October Surprise melting event which gives me some hope.

Stay safe everybody.

No flood insurance, as my backyard slants downward and there is virtually no chance of a traditional flood-type scenario. I never envisioned a "perfect-storm" scenario such as what is happening now. I take responsibility for that. We did survive the October Surprise melting event which gives me some hope.

Stay safe everybody.

If you have any way to get out Saturday and buy a backup pump, I strongly recommend it!

So far my road is impassible, but even if I could get out and find a store that is open I'm sure those are all sold out already. I will try though.

My pump is only one year old. My biggest concern is if it can keep up with the deluge without remaining constantly on and burning the motor out.

Also, my road is a small loop, with no thru-traffic, so I'm fully expecting to be one of the last ones plowed out (which is totally understandable I guess).

Still cannot see my neighbor's house. When is this f*cker gonna shift south again PLEASE?

Edited by cdexchange

So far my road is impassible, but even if I could get out and find a store that is open I'm sure those are all sold out already. I will try though.

My pump is only one year old. My biggest concern is if it can keep up with the deluge without remaining constantly on and burning the motor out.

Also, my road is a small loop, with no thru-traffic, so I'm fully expecting to be one of the last ones plowed out (which is totally understandable I guess).

Still cannot see my neighbor's house. When is this f*cker gonna shift south again PLEASE?

Have you started getting things off the ground and out of the basement/split level? That'd be my first priority. Even if you have flooding at least some belongings could be spared. Do you have supplies to bail water? A pitcher and a 5 gallon bucket is tedious but it works.

Yes d4rk, thanks. That's the one good thing is that we still have a couple days before worrying about the flooding (and plenty of free time to prepare beforehand).

I'm so thankful (and somewhat surprised) that the power has stayed on for the vast majority of people so far. We are very lucky in that respect.

Thanks for everyone's concern and suggestions.

I think you're going to be able to drive Saturday. I would try the Home Depot on Elmwood--maybe even pre-order one now--because it's much less likely to run out of stock than one in OP.

That's a great idea, thanks!

I'll order it to be picked up at one of the northtown stores tomorrow. If I can't get out I'll have one of my northern friends pick it up for me. Great thinking, thank you!

[NSFW language] Edited by Eleven

Seriously dude, thank you. Much manly totally hetero not-gay love your way (not that there's anything wrong with that...)

Just bought it online from Elmwood Ave Home Depot, scheduled to pick it up tomorrow...if I'm still buried tomorrow I'll just call them and tell them to hold another day. I already paid for it so it's mine, and they better not sell it to anyone else. I feel better already. Even if I don't end up needing I just bought my next one a few years early and I'll have it here whenever this one takes a sh!t.

They had lots in stock if anyone else is in the same boat.

Seriously dude, thank you. Much manly totally hetero not-gay love your way (not that there's anything wrong with that...)

Just bought it online from Elmwood Ave Home Depot, scheduled to pick it up tomorrow...if I'm still buried tomorrow I'll just call them and tell them to hold another day. I already paid for it so it's mine, and they better not sell it to anyone else. I feel better already. Even if I don't end up needing I just bought my next one a few years early and I'll have it here whenever this one takes a sh!t.

They had lots in stock if anyone else is in the same boat.

It's good to have a spare, anyway. If the water is coming in fast enough for it to never turn off, even if it doesn't burn out, it probably has an automatic shut-off when it overheats. I had this happen many times.

This sucks, I'm now stuck on 77, I had my folks grab me and make it to airport area, took 3 hours to get to me and we were piping along until the 354 Junction, now we're stuck and stranded behind a mile long line of traffic at a stand still while this snow pours down on us..... A few cars have passed us in the opposite direction so I find it baffling why we are stuck... There were plows and troopers around, not doing anything significant, I'm just getting frustrated

This sucks, I'm now stuck on 77, I had my folks grab me and make it to airport area, took 3 hours to get to me and we were piping along until the 354 Junction, now we're stuck and stranded behind a mile long line of traffic at a stand still while this snow pours down on us..... A few cars have passed us in the opposite direction so I find it baffling why we are stuck... There were plows and troopers around, not doing anything significant, I'm just getting frustrated

Do you have lots of gas in your vehicle? Hang in there man.

Go East, young man.

South, but far enough away from the belt to be able to circle back around to get into springville.... Unfortunately hell is other people

Indeed, I remember a similar situation on NYE 1998. Once I got off the main roads things were a lot easier. In your case, I'd back-track up to 20, out to Attica, over to Warsaw, and then down 19 to 39 and take 39 all the way into Springville. I'm not sure if Rt 98 out of Attica would be clear or not (being said from SE PA, so I have no knowledge of what's going on there. The weather in Warsaw says snow, but they're only talking about one inch in the forecast.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.