Bailey Signed to 3 Yr ELC

Brawndo

So, someone tell me, what's the point of signing Bailey now as opposed to after the season? We're we in some kind of jeopardy of losing his rights? Or was this just a gesture of goodwill?

We were in no jeopardy of losing his rights. You sign him during the season because he plays for a team that probably won't make the playoffs and as thus can be immediately assigned to Rochester in April. It didn't have to get done now but considering how well Bailey played it is something I am glad they did early.

We were in no jeopardy of losing his rights. You sign him during the season because he plays for a team that probably won't make the playoffs and as thus can be immediately assigned to Rochester in April. It didn't have to get done now but considering how well Bailey played it is something I am glad they did early.

When this contract is up, will he be a restricted free agent?

When this contract is up, will he be a restricted free agent?

Yes. This contract is the exact same as what Nick Baptiste signed this summer and what Nikita Zadorov has signed as well. So for instance if Bailey played Juniors again next year (he won't) the contract would slide a year. You are a RFA until you are 26 unless you begin play in the NHL at 18. There are some subtleties in there that could effect that but in general that's the rule.

His contract will slide if he doesn't play in 10 nhl games, and then after the 3 years he is an RFA

Yes.

I think I've said this before, but my folks are really close with his grandparents, and they've been going to his games since he was a 12-year-old. I'm really happy for him.

(Also, he spends time once in a while at a group home that I'm on the board of. (bad grammar, I know.) Those kids love him. He really is a good kid.)

Edited by Eleven

I think I've said this before, but my folks are really close with his grandparents, and they've been going to his games since he was a 12-year-old. I'm really happy for him.

(Also, he spends time once in a while at a group home that I'm on the board of. (bad grammar, I know.) Those kids love him. He really is a good kid.)

He's one of a few (Fasching also) that are really easy to root for, and I hope (and honestly think) they will make it as NHLers.

Sounds a lot nicer than Brandon Lemieux!

The size/strength/skill package that Bailey should have when he fills out is top end.

His character, by all reports, is top-notch.

Lack of instincts and experience made him drop as far as he did in the draft, where he was a real boom or bust type pick.

He really seems to have turned a corner this year.

Happy for him.

I wonder if Murray's planning on giving him a nine game NHL stint. Theoretically, if his junior team were to be out of playoff contention, he could come here for three weeks before going to Rochester at the conclusion of his junior team's season.

I'm not saying that's what's best, but I expect, like last year, we'll see some young call ups near the end of the season.

But there was zero chance he wasn't going to be signed. Maybe this is bigger in Buffalo than Rochester because it's barely news worthy.

I agree with this, but the days of everybody who has shown anything getting signed won't be as much of a sure thing given all the extra picks we've acquired.

Murray has already shown he will manage by signing guys to AHL deals, so it shouldn't be a real problem, but a couple years from now the organization is going to be really crowded.

I agree with this, but the days of everybody who has shown anything getting signed won't be as much of a sure thing given all the extra picks we've acquired.

Murray has already shown he will manage by signing guys to AHL deals, so it shouldn't be a real problem, but a couple years from now the organization is going to be really crowded.

GMTM has already shown the ability and willingness to move picks and prospects (see Gorges and McNabb). I fully expect this offseason to be rife with prospect and pick trades for impact players.

GMTM has already shown the ability and willingness to move picks and prospects (see Gorges and McNabb). I fully expect this offseason to be rife with prospect and pick trades for impact players.

This. I expect that those who are tired of hoarding picks will not be disappointed this offseason. Finish the tank and then move on to this next phase of the rebuild.

This. I expect that those who are tired of hoarding picks will not be disappointed this offseason. Finish the tank and then move on to this next phase of the rebuild.

If they don't screw this up and get McEichel, GMTM should want to fill out the roster with guys that can help immediately. Like Kunitz and Neal (formerly) for Crosby.

Yep. I think if we can land McEichel the approach to the rebuild changes. We are more likely to trade away some of the very high picks and start becoming very aggressive in trades and FA. We have the cap space to do it.

This will start to happen regardless of the McEichel results. It has to. They're quickly approaching the breaking point where they will need to add a significant amount of veteran presence.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.