GDT 10/25/2014: Sabres at San Jose Sharks 4PM EST MSG B, WGR

Brawndo

I was busy frying wings and some home made potato chips so I was partially watching the game.

However, I noticed that San Jose failed miserably in the 2 man forecheck which allowed the Sabres to break the zone easier.

That said, I noticed numerous times that Sabres players waited another split second to make a play and rather than force it into a turnover the ice opened up and a real hockey play could be made.

The team started well with shots on net.. and finished poorly. Oh well.

In the end, they won. Nice. Also, not checking this thread until much later after the game and a few drinks makes the early pre-game comments way more entertaining. You are all a band of pessimists, you should be ashamed of yourselves! :)

I feel the refs don't actually wanna do anything today.... They missed a lot of little things that are typically called then that board, then no call on the response either, it's like old school officiating.... I don't hate it

To be honest i saw that hit a couple of times over. I wouldn't call it either, still feel like Gionta jumps in front of wingels to get the puck, tries to lay his body into it, but wingels can push him off without ease and it got ugly.

To me its more like Gionta seeking contact with a big guy wich he shouldn't have.

This was a solid W for this squad and hopefully the start of a turn around. They just need to keep working.

I thought Reinhart played a strong game. This was the first game this year were I thought he looks like he belongs in the NHL. I thought the effort on his back checking was pretty solid. Confidence and points will start piling up for this kid he keeps putting out that level of effort.

I'm not a big fan of Torrey Mitchel's game. His passing is really poor and he gives up possession of the puck way too easily, Several times yesterday, and through out the first nine games there were opportunities to make plays and keep possession where he would just toss the puck to and empty wing or dump into the offensive zone without his teammates being in position to fore check. I don't think Mitchel sees the ice very well.

Not sure if this has come up elsewhere but yesterday we were all harping on how they are using Reinhart. We are all assuming they are wasting his 9 games on 4th line etc.

My question is has it ever been mentioned by GMTM that he is going back? Maybe the plan all along is to keep him here and let him get his 8-12 minutes a game for now and as the season progresses he will work his way into more minutes and, hopefully, PP time and time with better forwards around him.

Not sure if this has come up elsewhere but yesterday we were all harping on how they are using Reinhart. We are all assuming they are wasting his 9 games on 4th line etc.

My question is has it ever been mentioned by GMTM that he is going back? Maybe the plan all along is to keep him here and let him get his 8-12 minutes a game for now and as the season progresses he will work his way into more minutes and, hopefully, PP time and time with better forwards around him.

This is what I would expect if they were going to keep him here. And I've expected him to stay all along. I think, infuriating as it is, this is the plan.

Considering the fact that Reinhart clearly had his best game battle-wise and was throwing his body around, maybe Mac and Deslauriers are helping.

The thing about those two guys is that they're high energy, which distracts the opposition and gives Sam some breathing room. That's what he needs. In a backwards way it makes sense.

Nope, he's never a great coach. Outshot 16-6 in 3rd

So what you're saying is even with a complete lack of talent compared to most squads they should be able to hang right in there with the better teams in the league ? With Mike Babcock at the helm they should outshoot most teams. I disagree. This team lacks the bare essentials to compete on a nightly basis and thats why they were 30th last year and have shown little to no improvement this year. Even the best coach can't fix that.

To the last 4 comments: I still think it's stupid to have him out there on the 4th line. Yeah, he's protected by 2 tougher guys, but he has no one to distribute to.

I don't know. I think both of them can catch a pass, especially if Reinhart is an elite center talent. Regardless of whether they can score his job is just to try and make them both better. It's a good place to start.

Quote from this morning's Buffalo News:

The change is beginning in the dressing room, says sixth-year defenseman Tyler Myers.

“This is probably the tightest group I’ve been a part of since I’ve been with the Sabres,” he said. “At times we can be a little harder on each other, but as the trip went on I think we got better and we held each other more accountable. That’s where it’s all going to start with the guys in the room holding each other accountable, supporting each other when we’re making good plays and moving forward as a unit.”

I realize its pretty standard hockey speak but this is exactly why Nolan is the coach and we brought in Gionta, Moulson and Gorges.

It's going to be horrible crucible of a season, but Murray knew that and planned for it. The secondary prize is supposed to a group of young players better for the experience.

Quote from this morning's Buffalo News:

The change is beginning in the dressing room, says sixth-year defenseman Tyler Myers.

“This is probably the tightest group I’ve been a part of since I’ve been with the Sabres,” he said. “At times we can be a little harder on each other, but as the trip went on I think we got better and we held each other more accountable. That’s where it’s all going to start with the guys in the room holding each other accountable, supporting each other when we’re making good plays and moving forward as a unit.”

I realize its pretty standard hockey speak but this is exactly why Nolan is the coach and we brought in Gionta, Moulson and Gorges.

It's going to be horrible crucible of a season, but Murray knew that and planned for it. The secondary prize is supposed to a group of young players better for the experience.

Breaking News Tyler Myers traded to...

It's actually nice to hear this especially with how caustic the locker room has been over the past few seasons

Edited by BRAWNDO

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.