Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

Murray might not be as big a fan of the CHL as some think:

c5bdf8f15be6fb6435c19db09dac2342_normal.jpegMike Harrington @BNHarrington · 4h4 hours ago

But what if what GMTM told me a couple weeks ago is true? He said, "Maybe we've already played our worst hockey." So far, that's right.
0 replies
0 retweets
4 favorites

Retweet

Favorite

What do you expect him to say?

As much as this is really pissing me off these meaningless wins (losses) there is a silver lining. Watching that game last night and the past few zadorov and risto look like our best players and a legit pairing. Sportsnet feed was drooling over them on more than a couple of occasions and I completely agree. Not to mention Girgs has seemed to take a large step forward as well. Having said that I would love to see a bunch more losses the rest of the way and add atleast one more top line forward to this team. I think we've already past the point of bottoming out and our high picks from the past three years are starting to contribute.

As much as this is really pissing me off these meaningless wins (losses) there is a silver lining. Watching that game last night and the past few zadorov and risto look like our best players and a legit pairing. Sportsnet feed was drooling over them on more than a couple of occasions and I completely agree. Not to mention Girgs has seemed to take a large step forward as well. Having said that I would love to see a bunch more losses the rest of the way and add atleast one more top line forward to this team. I think we've already past the point of bottoming out and our high picks from the past three years are starting to contribute.

I agree. But if we're depending on Girgs being our offensive spark for the foreseeable future, we are in trouble. This teams needs an offensive star if we are ever going to rise above a first-round exit.

I've started choosing the out of town feeds for Sabres games. I like hearing about our players from a non Rob Ray POV.

What do you expect him to say?

Something using the words "suffering" and/or "blueprint."

He's going to have to act like he didn't want to tank whether that was the original intent or not. He brought in Gionta, Moulson, and Gorges. Now we're good enough to be outplayed consistently but still come away with points. In other words, we aren't a good team but we aren't in a position to draft anyone elite.

Congrats on the improvement, Tim, but now you have to find another way to get some elite talent on this team. I hope for all our sakes that you know how to do that or else we're right back to where we were about 4 years ago.

He's going to have to act like he didn't want to tank whether that was the original intent or not. He brought in Gionta, Moulson, and Gorges. Now we're good enough to be outplayed consistently but still come away with points. In other words, we aren't a good team but we aren't in a position to draft anyone elite.

Congrats on the improvement, Tim, but now you have to find another way to get some elite talent on this team. I hope for all our sakes that you know how to do that or else we're right back to where we were about 4 years ago.

Exactly. Only in Buffalo.

I will say that no matter what happens on draft day the day after should be the best the day in Sabre history. Maybe we can put an end to all this tank crap, McEichle, etc etc and just move forward. This is an era in Sabres history that i just want to be over. As much as I want to see one of those two in a Sabre uni I just want to be done with this bush league garbage.

I will say that no matter what happens on draft day the day after should be the best the day in Sabre history. Maybe we can put an end to all this tank crap, McEichle, etc etc and just move forward. This is an era in Sabres history that i just want to be over. As much as I want to see one of those two in a Sabre uni I just want to be done with this bush league garbage.

Yes. I'm thrilled at the notion of not having mixed feelings when watching a Sabres game anymore. And if the Sabres can stay red hot into December, maybe they preemptively end that.

I think the more likely scenario is that we stay good enough to exit the bottom 5 and then plant ourselves in the 21st to 25th range in the standings, right in the no man's land of the NHL draft. Oh well.

It's all on Murray now. He un-tanked us with Moulson, Gorges, and Gionta; now let's see if he can actually make us good.

I'd love to know what Terry's thinking about all this, and what the man behind the curtain with the paint brush and the hand puppet might do. If we believe Darcy, it was Terry who determined the extent of the rebuild — which has been a complete teardown to the foundation, and they ripped that up, too. And an argument can certainly be made that the whole point was to get McDavid, whom it's been reported Terry is enamored with/obsessed with. Having the Otters play in Buffalo is just a juicy bit of circumstantial evidence. I'm not about to start another trial thread though. The court here is kangaroo, to say the least.

Only in every hockey city.

Which is?

Trade the UFAs. Maybe also send good guys back to Rochester (but I think this is less likely).

Some folks think that the players and coaching staff are locked in some sort of dilemma- try to win and botch the rebuild or try to lose and abandon, at least temporarily, the competitive sportsmanship of the game.

But that's not the case. The players and coaches will -and should- try their hardest to win games. It's what they need to do to justify their jobs. It's what they need to do to entertain fans that spend their hard-earned salaries to go to home games. It's what they need to do maintain a non-toxic, competitive culture in the locker room. It's what they need to do to skate off the ice with their heads held high, knowing they tried. It's what sportsmen need to do.

The players and coaches pushing their effort doesn't mean the tank is lost. It's not the players and coaches that will define the nature of this year's rebuild. Far and away, the person commanding the tank is Tim Murray. Murray has the power over the roster. He commands how much talent ends up on the ice each night. He will make the decision to throttle the available talent.

And why shouldn't he? Every single player in this organization from top to bottom is effectively skating in a year-long tryout to get onto the team that follows this team. Murray should be allowed to, and probably will, take long looks at lots of different personnel arrangements on the active roster. And there are definitely going to be games when those arrangements don't translate into wins. Any move to keep players in Rochester (or Juniors) can be easily justified with the motivation of long term development.

Additionally, he has the ability to gut a significant portion of the team at any point in time before the trade deadline, if he feels it's the best long term move for the organization. Stewart, Stafford, Mitchell, Kaleta, Meszaros, Benoit, Enroth, and Neuvirth are all UFAs. Some of those players, Murray has already attempted to trade. He could subtract some of those players for assets that have absolutely zero return on this year's team record, and whether that move would be made to tank, legitimately better the team, or both, it simply wouldn't matter.

Trade the UFAs. Maybe also send good guys back to Rochester (but I think this is less likely).

That's not going to work.

Trading Mitchell, Kaleta, Meszaros, and Benoit might actually *improve* the team by clearing room for Armia, Grigorenko, Pysyk, and McCabe (or Ruhwedel). And those 4 players definitely aren't why we're doing well right now (actually the opposite in the case of Meszaros and Benoit).

Trading Stewart and Stafford for future assets would make us worse right now (and will probably happen) but is that enough to make us the worst team in the league when you have Columbus, Edmonton, and Philly all in free fall? I doubt it.

And there's no way we're trading both Enroth and Neuvirth (which, if we did it right now, probably would assure us of a 30th place finish). We should trade one of them and sign the other to an extension (probably Neuvirth) and I actually think the return would be decent.

So unfortunately I don't think the Sabres can realistically make trades to keep us in the bottom three (and probably not the bottom 5).

Related: If you're the GM of the Oilers and you're trying to keep your job, how are you not on the phone with Buffalo every day until you have Enroth or Neuvirth?