Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

I am curious, and maybe this has been discussed before...

Do you have a program that programmatically pulls the current NHL standings from the website each night?  Seems like the whole thing could be automated, and would be pretty fun to set up.

You could likewise pull the stats from sportsclubstats.

That is only the case because the Sabres are at so close to 100%.  It'd be more interesting for those teams with a more distributed row at the sportsclubstats lottery chart; again: http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHLlottery.html

I assume they calculate the odds of winning every remaining game on the schedule based on all previous results this season.

It explains "Weighted" here (as opposed to viewing their charts using "50/50" link on the left): http://www.sportsclubstats.com/WhatIsThis.html... don't have time to read now haha.

No doubt it wouldn't be too difficult to set up, but I'm not currently pulling the stats automatically. I actually usually just update them by hand; but I do have a spreadsheet set up a looooooong time ago (from early '90's) to track clinching PT, conferences, divisions, and playoffs, and reordering teams, and a coupke other things. Would probably use that as the starting point.

The odds just get skewed slightly for teams w/ only 1 lottery ticket, but if as the trade deadline approaches and some team(s) get additional cracks at it; we can reflect their individualized odds pretty easily. It's not too much extra to reflect the more accurate odds.

In the CHL shouldn't

Games in Hand

be

Games out of Hand?

Everything is backwards in the CHL, and the potential of winning in the NHL and dropping a spot in the standings in the CHL is not a positive, but a negative, so games in hand is a positive reference in the NHL, but should be considered a negative in the CHL.

So right now the Sabers have 2 games out of hand to the Oilers, in CHL speak, right?

I hope I didn't waste one of my brain cells thinking of this, that other wise could have been used for making sure my Vodka drinks made it to my mouth during tonight's game, I'm sure not many are left and I don't want to waste them. :doh:

In the CHL shouldn't

Games in Hand

be

Games out of Hand?

Everything is backwards in the CHL, and the potential of winning in the NHL and dropping a spot in the standings in the CHL is not a positive, but a negative, so games in hand is a positive reference in the NHL, but should be considered a negative in the CHL.

So right now the Sabers have 2 games out of hand to the Oilers, in CHL speak, right?

I hope I didn't waste one of my brain cells thinking of this, that other wise could have been used for making sure my Vodka drinks made it to my mouth during tonight's game, I'm sure not many are left and I don't want to waste them. :doh:

I love the idea, but you have it backwards: the 2.71s have two games out of hand on the Sabres.

In the CHL shouldn't

Games in Hand

be

Games out of Hand?

Like the NHL, in the CHL you can only "gain" points by playing a game.   So game's in hand is a good thing... it's just that you want the team to win instead of lose those game's in hand.   Or lose instead of win, not sure, yeah that it's.... you want the team to lose, no wait... you want them to win instead of.... awwww it. 

Like the NHL, in the CHL you can only "gain" points by playing a game.   So game's in hand is a good thing... it's just that you want the team to win instead of lose those game's in hand.   Or lose instead of win, not sure, yeah that it's.... you want the team to lose, no wait... you want them to win instead of.... awwww ###### it. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perceptual_adaptation

######... Can't win em all I guess.

Current magic numbers through 2/19:

Nashville - 3

NY Islanders, Montreal - 8

St. Louis, Tampa Bay - 9
Anaheim - 10
Chicago - 12

Detroit, NY Rangers, Washington - 13
Pittsburgh - 14
Winnipeg - 17

Vancouver - 18

Calgary - 19

San Jose - 19
Los Angeles - 21
Boston, Minnesota - 22

Florida - 23
Dallas - 25
Colorado, Philadelphia - 28
Ottawa - 31

Columbus - 32
New Jersey - 34
Toronto - 36
Carolina - 40
Arizona - 41
Edmonton - 43

Edited by Tank

No one ever said this was gonna be easy.

However, BUF has an easy schedule to close out Feb. They'll solidify their roster come March 2nd by moving Stewart and Neuvirth as they make a run for The Shart.

I'm feeling a Shart Fever coming on... Who's with me!?

Good way to waste a big loss for the Oilers the day before...

There are no moral victories in the Carrion.

Dude. I'm as big of a tank supporter as anyone but you gotta enjoy the wins every once in a while. We weren't going to go 25-0 the rest of the season. We still have a comfortable lead on EDM