Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

I don't disagree with any of this, but once the Sabres found themselves in that spot they were faced with picking top 6 capable centers off the top 6 center tree which of course doesn't exist, or attempt to acquire them via trade or FA. Buffalo plays with one hand tied behind their back in each of those areas.

I can tell you with great certainty that the Sabres acknowledgement of their inability to compete on a level playing field with other teams in the FA and trade route method of team building was a deciding factor in their ultimate decision to blow it up and tank.

Agreed this wasn't Murray's fault, just advocating that they don't make the same mistake again.

And only agree they played with one hand behind back until ownership issues were resolved.  Yet Darcy grabbed two D his last year.  Just saying there were opportunities that were missed and the excuse that top 6 centers were not out there is a myth imo.  Just difficult to obtain and DR never put enough priority on them to the Sabres detriment even after purse strings were removed.  Heck he got Erhoff, Regier and Boyes and spent wildly on Leino a redicolous mistake.  I am saying to DR, it wasn't a priority and couldn't ID a center given a C two e's and two r's.

Edited by Fargenov Iceholeski

Thank-you. That was the seminal moment for that group. It defined them forever moving forward. From that point on, nobody in that room could look each other in the eye. It was an afront to the game itself; an abomination. The teardown should have started that night.

GO SABRES!!!

hey i remember why i dont want sekera back

True but can he make it in the NHL, jury still out and untill it comes back draft centers is all

Make it in the NHL by when?  1D out of the shoot?  3 pair minutes in season one?  Your hope of plug and play fixes from the draft, FA or trades may be a bit optimistic.  All these players will need time to acclimate to each other and find chemistry.  

Agreed this wasn't Murray's fault, just advocating that they don't make the same mistake again.

And only agree they played with one hand behind back until ownership issues were resolved.  Yet Darcy grabbed two D his last year.  Just saying there were opportunities that were missed and the excuse that top 6 centers were not out there is a myth imo.  

There were no top 6 centers when we drafted 8th or 16th that year.  The only argument you could make is we could have drafted Domi at 8 over Ristolainen.  

The only complaint you could make for that year is that DR didn't do enough to move up and grab either Lindholm or Monahan. 

I wasn't going to respond but Reinhart will be with the Sabres all year.  We have been drafting centers.  If you have the choice though between a LW with top 6 potential or a C with bottom 6 potential you don't draft the center.  We can't just only draft centers.  BPA.

That I can agree on... but Sabres need to take some chance to find centers or as you say a goal scorer.  Still, if they have two no 1 draft pics one should be a center.  Obvious this year, but keep it going.  D except in rare cases shouldn't be drafted in 1st round.  2 D 2 years ago is an abomination imo no matter how good they turn out.

That I can agree on... but Sabres need to take some chance to find centers or as you say a goal scorer.  Still, if they have two no 1 draft pics one should be a center.  Obvious this year, but keep it going.  D except in rare cases shouldn't be drafted in 1st round.  2 D 2 years ago is an abomination imo no matter how good they turn out.

I don't agree with your assessment of defenders.  

Risto was our own pick Nikita we took with the pick we got on the Pominville trade

That is what I was disappointed about not doing enough to grab Lindholm or Monahan.  The two D are nice.  At this point DR was committed to the Tank.  Still was a miscalculation imo.

That simply makes no sense.  We should draft a position for the sake of the position and ignore the talent?  I agree that a productive center is important, I offer:

Alex Ovechkin WSH L 65 43 24 67 2 Nicklas Backstrom WSH C 65 18 49 67 3 John Tavares NYI C 65 30 35 65 4 Evgeni Malkin PIT C 58 27 38 65 5 Jakub Voracek PHI R 64 19 46 65 6 Patrick Kane CHI R 61 27 37 64 7 Sidney Crosby PIT C 59 20 44 64 8 Tyler Johnson TBL C 63 24 38 62 9 Vladimir Tarasenko STL R 63 31 30 61 10 Jamie Benn DAL L 64 23 38 61

Even distribution of centers and non centers.  and noticebly absent is Toews a perennial MVP candidate. 

That simply makes no sense.  We should draft a position for the sake of the position and ignore the talent?  I agree that a productive center is important, I offer:

Alex Ovechkin WSH L 65 43 24 67 2 Nicklas Backstrom WSH C 65 18 49 67 3 John Tavares NYI C 65 30 35 65 4 Evgeni Malkin PIT C 58 27 38 65 5 Jakub Voracek PHI R 64 19 46 65 6 Patrick Kane CHI R 61 27 37 64 7 Sidney Crosby PIT C 59 20 44 64 8 Tyler Johnson TBL C 63 24 38 62 9 Vladimir Tarasenko STL R 63 31 30 61 10 Jamie Benn DAL L 64 23 38 61

Even distribution of centers and non centers.  and noticebly absent is Toews a perennial MVP candidate. 

Not when there is such a glaring need because DR screwed up resigning Briere or going after another center or even being creative by getting compensation for letting Vanek go to Edmonton.  Hindsight being 20-20 in all. In that case foresight.

Not when there is such a glaring need because DR screwed up resigning Briere or going after another center or even being creative by getting compensation for letting Vanek go to Edmonton.  Hindsight being 20-20 in all. In that case foresight.

What glaring need?  We have players to fill those positions.  Girgenson, Reinhart, 2015 pick, Ennis, Hodson Grigorenko.  Or do you mean a glaring need for first ballot HOFers at every position?  

What glaring need?  We have players to fill those positions.  Girgenson, Reinhart, 2015 pick, Ennis, Hodson Grigorenko.  Or do you mean a glaring need for first ballot HOFers at every position?  

How many years later...  Hodgson, Grigerenko.... Ha Ha Ha really.  This whole disaster could have been avoided.  If DR resigned Briere, letting Vanek go and getting compensation from Edmonton would have caused a rebuild not a tank.  If I remember correctly the Sabres would have gotten 2 of Edmonton's first rounders as compensation and having difficulty filling in FAs with the new owner would not have been a problem.... Now because of DRs mismanagement, Sabre fans have had to suffer through at least 2 years of Tank Nation, probably one more next year all because centers were not valued.  Reinhart who knows.  I would take just one first ballot HOF,  non of these are even close...  maybe Reinhart but who knows, still really early. 

Kinda like the Bills as they were going through revolving coaches and GMs... been a long time since they were in the playoffs let alone considered contenders.  Sabres are getting there too.  Better hope you are right about Reinhart or this team will continue to suck ala Edmonton.

Edited by Fargenov Iceholeski

How many years later... Hodgson, Grigerenko.... Ha Ha Ha really. This whole disaster could have been avoided. If DR resigned Briere, letting Vanek go and getting compensation from Edmonton would have caused a rebuild not a tank. If I remember correctly the Sabres would have gotten 2 of Edmonton's first rounders as compensation and having difficulty filling in FAs with the new owner would not have been a problem.... Now because of DRs mismanagement, Sabre fans have had to suffer through at least 2 years of Tank Nation, probably one more next year all because centers were not valued. Reinhart who knows. I would take just one first ballot HOF, non of these are even close... maybe Reinhart but who knows, still really early.

Kinda like the Bills as they were going through revolving coaches and GMs... been a long time since they were in the playoffs let alone considered contenders. Sabres are getting there too. Better hope you are right about Reinhart or this team will continue to suck ala Edmonton.

I think we would have had four of Edmonton's first round picks. Over a $7 million cap hit.

Can't blame you, those are some sweet sweaters.

I like their current ones a lot too. No fans, ###### team, but grade A style

When they went away from their original jerseys it was a sad day.  I love the Original 6 unis and I regard the Sabres as very much in that style.  After those, my favorites are the original Coyotes jerseys and the Columbus 3rds.

Magic Numbers for games played through 3/5

Minnesota - 2

Vancouver - 3
Winnipeg - 4
Calgary - 5

Los Angeles - 6
San Jose, Boston - 8
Florida, Dallas - 10

Philadelphia - 12
Ottawa, Colorado - 13
New Jersey - 16
Toronto - 23
Columbus - 24
Carolina - 25
Arizona - 31
Edmonton - 34

Nashville, Montreal, NY Islanders, Anaheim, NY Rangers, Tampa Bay, Detroit, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington - Clinched

(Italics is the current magic number for playoff elimination)

Nobody clinched tonight. Minnesota can clinch tomorrow with a Buffalo regulation loss.

Edited by Tank