Traverse City Tournament: Sept. 12 - Sept. 16

nfreeman

This is a time where I legitimate don't have any opinion on the final score. I mean, it'd be cool to say you won, but this really doesn't matter. This mix of players will never play together in any lineup near what we see out there...

I feel the same. I didn't listen, so all i am basing it on game recaps, this forum and my own speculation. While i wish they would play well, it doesn't mean too much as you said. Somethings, however, i would like to see. This isn't Joel Armia's first rodeo. I would of liked to see him explode. I mean, he's a puckhandler, supposedly. Has struggled ever since his concussion in the Finn league, and has looked awful with the Amerks and in the past never really impressed at Traverse City tournament either. Now, he's one of the older player (i assume, didn't look at Carolina's roster), and he was playing with Reinhart, i would of really liked to see him show that with younger/less talented players, he can separate himself.

I've had my doubts on him for a while and im just waiting til he proves me wrong and each time he plays, he's just a dud.

I read the shots were 32-16 Buffalo midway through the third, but they were down 5-1.

Sounded like some bad penalties, a few breakdowns and a tough game by Makarov.

I listened to it. This is exactly what happened. Plus BUF missed about three or four, 2 on 1's chances.

SIDE NOTE: I couldn't get the sabres.com app to steam the game on iPhone via 1520 but on my desktop browser I did. Waazzzup??

I feel the same. I didn't listen, so all i am basing it on game recaps, this forum and my own speculation. While i wish they would play well, it doesn't mean too much as you said. Somethings, however, i would like to see. This isn't Joel Armia's first rodeo. I would of liked to see him explode. I mean, he's a puckhandler, supposedly. Has struggled ever since his concussion in the Finn league, and has looked awful with the Amerks and in the past never really impressed at Traverse City tournament either. Now, he's one of the older player (i assume, didn't look at Carolina's roster), and he was playing with Reinhart, i would of really liked to see him show that with younger/less talented players, he can separate himself.

I've had my doubts on him for a while and im just waiting til he proves me wrong and each time he plays, he's just a dud.

He's played one professional season. He lead the Amerks in scoring during the playoffs at over a PPG.

He took a while to get acclimated and was playing through some injuries. I'd give him at least this season to prove himself.

NHL network is just an embarrassment of a channel.

Oh they are not that bad. I love watching the old games. Could be better for sure, but they helped me over my hockey fix this long summer

He's played one professional season. He lead the Amerks in scoring during the playoffs at over a PPG.

He took a while to get acclimated and was playing through some injuries. I'd give him at least this season to prove himself.

At least! These kids are not just growing into hockey players but into adults. So much going on in their lives they can't just be supermen. As Sabres fans we are going to need a lot of patience with this young team. Years worth.

That said, next Saturday they have open practice, right??

This didn't take long.

http://www.wgr550.co...rolina/19897403

Cassidy pretty much admitted that he wasn't using specific PK units because he wanted everyone to play on the PK no matter what. So that probably has something to do with it. Sticking non-PK guys out there when you spend a lot of time on the PK will usually end badly.

The penalty calls on Armia and Lemieux were also kinda suspect from how Paul and Duffer described them. Giving Lemieux a double minor for coming to Reinhart's aid was pretty weak.

Also, Hammy spells Lemieux wrong. A lot.

From gr55:

The penalty kill and the goaltending at both ends really put Buffalo behind, but according to Cassidy, it wasn’t all bad, “Five on five I’m really happy with the way we played from a structural standpoint I would say possession time and scoring chances we dominated, so you can take some good things from that, but we’ve got to tighten special teams.”

And if he is another Dan Paille I'll take that. We gave up on him too early

This is just wrong. He was a first round pick who has maxed out as a 4th liner. Those types of "finds" can't exist on the team that drafted them. What exactly would he have been had he stayed in Buffalo? A worse version of Gaustad?

This is just wrong. He was a first round pick who has maxed out as a 4th liner. Those types of "finds" can't exist on the team that drafted them. What exactly would he have been had he stayed in Buffalo? A worse version of Gaustad?

Totally agree here, and like it or not, the only way those types of guys are able to find their way in the league is if they are set loose from the team that drafted them. I shudder to say this, but if Stafford signs on with another team and is a productive third line winger, you'll have some wishing he was doing that here. As long as he's in Buffalo, we attach the 1st round label to him and expect 30 goals a year.

I disagree. He is a third liner, and a productive and important one. This years conference finals all had great third lines that would at least be the Sabres second line. The third and fourth lines going deep in playoffs are near as important as the first two lines. And Paille is a better player than Gaustad, imo.

Totally agree here, and like it or not, the only way those types of guys are able to find their way in the league is if they are set loose from the team that drafted them. I shudder to say this, but if Stafford signs on with another team and is a productive third line winger, you'll have some wishing he was doing that here. As long as he's in Buffalo, we attach the 1st round label to him and expect 30 goals a year.

So should we just trade Myers now?

I disagree. He is a third liner, and a productive and important one. This years conference finals all had great third lines that would at least be the Sabres second line. The third and fourth lines going deep in playoffs are near as important as the first two lines. And Paille is a better player than Gaustad, imo.

So should we just trade Myers now?

Paille was on the B's fourth line w/ Campbell and Thornton, and his production in Boston has not been spectacular. That said, he's a good pro who should make money around the league minimum. Not someone we should be upset about losing though as players like him are truly a dime a dozen. His last four years he's had 13,15,17 and 18 points. Torrey Mitchell is a similar guy, and we picked him up as a throw in on the Moulson deal.

As for the other points, comparing teams to the Sabres of last year is pointless. That was the worst offensive team since expansion. Does it matter that Paille could have been on that second line?

As for Myers....either he makes a leap or he's traded in my opinion. Murray needs to worry about future cap flexibility with all of these prospects, and if he doesn't believe Myers is a cornerstone he needs to make a move.

Paille was on the B's fourth line w/ Campbell and Thornton, and his production in Boston has not been spectacular. That said, he's a good pro who should make money around the league minimum. Not someone we should be upset about losing though as players like him are truly a dime a dozen. His last four years he's had 13,15,17 and 18 points. Torrey Mitchell is a similar guy, and we picked him up as a throw in on the Moulson deal.

As for the other points, comparing teams to the Sabres of last year is pointless. That was the worst offensive team since expansion. Does it matter that Paille could have been on that second line?

As for Myers....either he makes a leap or he's traded in my opinion. Murray needs to worry about future cap flexibility with all of these prospects, and if he doesn't believe Myers is a cornerstone he needs to make a move.

well I was under the impression he scored at about twice that level, my mistake. I still like the way he plays, not sure if he is a dime a dozen player, those players don't make the Stanley cup winning roster.

well I was under the impression he scored at about twice that level, my mistake. I still like the way he plays, not sure if he is a dime a dozen player, those players don't make the Stanley cup winning roster.

So Shawn Thornton isn't a dime a dozen player? Jordan Nolan? Every Cup team has a handful of easily replaceable players. Sure, there's varying levels of 4th line players...but even the high end ones aren't particularly difficult to find.

No worries....it's still the offseason. Plenty of time for all of us to work out the kinks.

One of Regier's errors was not seeing how loaded his teams were in the 05-06 era and making proactive moves. Paille did score close to 20 goals once upon a time, and if he was dealt around then could have been a better bargaining chip. If memory serves, he was dealt to Boston almost as a favor? I think I remember Lindy and Darcy saying he just didn't have a spot here anymore, and he was thrown away for a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

Yes. half the time I thought the Sabres scored.

The balance he showed in the couple of real games he called was something I respected. I still say Paul is/was heads and shoulders above Dan Dunleavy. It's not hard to imagine why Paul wasn't an attractive choice to be the PR face of the team. He's said some pretty caustic things over the years, and he doesn't seem like a guy who's going to be bought.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.