Most Disappointing Sabre of All Time

IKnowPhysics

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the most disappointing Sabre of all time?

Dale McCourt ? Norm lacolm?

While both could certainly be in the mix, I'd put LaCombe more in the running for most frustrating. He only seemed to care right after getting lambasted by fans in the News' Sunday letters to the editor. Add in his having his name on the SC for his 1st full season out of Buffalo - w/ Gilbert not particularly close to having ever gotten that distinction. Frustrating.

My 2nd nominee for most disappointing would be Jacques Richard. Guy could barely lace his skates while in Buffalo much less skate on them.

Ville Leino didn't disappoint me because my expectations were already so low for the teams he was on.

My most disappointing player: Thomas Vanek.

I understand what you're getting at...but I at least expect a 2nd or 3rd line player to score more goals than John Scott in a season. As low as my expectations are, he still fell way short.

I understand what you're getting at...but I at least expect a 2nd or 3rd line player to score more goals than John Scott in a season. As low as my expectations are, he still fell way short.

I'm just not that mad about it. I honestly feel bad for Leino.

My scorn is more easily directed at the guy who clearly had talent, and clearly scored a lot of goals, and clearly just doesn't care about the game. I expect Vanek will probably never win a Stanley Cup, and that would be fitting because he was never quite good enough to put the team on his back. And the Sabres were his best opportunity to win. He won't do it elsewhere.

I'm just not that mad about it. I honestly feel bad for Leino.

My scorn is more easily directed at the guy who clearly had talent, and clearly scored a lot of goals, and clearly just doesn't care about the game. I expect Vanek will probably never win a Stanley Cup, and that would be fitting because he was never quite good enough to put the team on his back. And the Sabres were his best opportunity to win. He won't do it elsewhere.

Perreault smoked.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2010/11/24/nhl_cant_snuff_out_tobacco_use_among_players.html

Back in Larmer’s era, the ’80s and early ’90s, there were often a half-dozen smokers on every team. The players lit up on the way to the rink and between periods. Many were stars of the day: Guy Lafleur, Mike Bossy, Rick Vaive among others.

Anyone wanna vote Turgeon given the expectations that go with a 1st overall pick?

Not me. He was a point per game guy for the Sabres as a youngster, including in the playoffs. Also, we wouldn't have gotten Lafontaine without him.

While both could certainly be in the mix, I'd put LaCombe more in the running for most frustrating. He only seemed to care right after getting lambasted by fans in the News' Sunday letters to the editor. Add in his having his name on the SC for his 1st full season out of Buffalo - w/ Gilbert not particularly close to having ever gotten that distinction. Frustrating.

My 2nd nominee for most disappointing would be Jacques Richard. Guy could barely lace his skates while in Buffalo much less skate on them.

Cloutier, McCourt, Cyr, Lacombe all rank up there but I would have to go with Jacques Richard

Go big or go home. Gilbert Perreault.

While I wouldn't put him at the top, I do agree that he could have been even better. The feeling from the outside was that he just didn't want to be the best when he could have been.

Dude, everyone in the NHL during Perreault's time smoked. A lot still do.

http://www.si.com/nh...rettesnhlhockey

These guys might be athletes but they love their smokes.

Keenan says in the article he was surprised when he got to Chicago, because not many guys in Philly smoked.

Semantics aside, your point is beside the point. Everyone, even in the 1970s, knew smoking was bad for you. Any professional athlete would have known it was keeping him from being his very best. Perreault apparently just didn't care. He also routinely came to camps overweight and out of shape, but of course, dude, you'll tell me they all did.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.