Andre Benoit Signed By Sabres

Brawndo

For those curious about him:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470378

I like the move. If he challenges for a spot on the big club, thats one more young D man we can let get more seasoning in the AHL. I'm really on board with trying to keep as many of the top prospects down in rochester so they can get a feel for winning together. The Amerks can excel and challenge for a Calder, we can establish an identity as a hard working team in the NHL but will still most likely be sub par. Bring the kids up in an atmosphere of winning, move em up when the teams ready to do the same.

I don't think Benoit signs without the belief he can land an Nhl spot.

Probably so. I hope he's not too disappointed.

Who knows for sure, but I think of him as an AHL player - he's welcome to prove me wrong this autumn!

I like it if for no other reason than it reduces the pressure to have one or more of the young defensemen up in the NHL before they are ready.

I don't know anything about Benoit, but he played in 5 playoff games for the Sens 2 seasons ago, with over 15 min per game, and 7 playoff games for Colorado last year, with over 21 min per game.

That sounds like a guy who can play for the Sabres this year if Risto, Pysyk or Weber falters or if someone gets hurt.

If you start some of the kids, all of a sudden the Sabres depth at D looks a little weak. So, regardless of what kind of time this guy gets, it's a good idea to get an additional D-man who can play.

Injuries, injuries, injuries. Every year, it seems, one of the ranks suffers due to injuries.

Injuries, injuries, injuries. Every year, it seems, one of the ranks suffers due to injuries.

Yes, exactly. If the plan is to have all the kids playing in Rochester (I'm not saying that's necessarily the plan), with Buffalo's six being Myers, Weber, Gorges, Meszaros, Ruhwedel, and Benoit, then once you start getting injuries to one or two of them, the kids will be stepping up anyway.

I'd say more likely that Myers, Weber, Gorges, Meszaros, Benoit,and Risto start the season as top 6, with Ruhwedel riding the bench?

Yes, exactly. If the plan is to have all the kids playing in Rochester (I'm not saying that's necessarily the plan), with Buffalo's six being Myers, Weber, Gorges, Meszaros, Ruhwedel, and Benoit, then once you start getting injuries to one or two of them, the kids will be stepping up anyway.

I'd say more likely that Myers, Weber, Gorges, Meszaros, Benoit,and Risto start the season as top 6, with Ruhwedel riding the bench?

I'd guess they'll start with Myers, Gorges, Meszaros, Risto, and Benoit as the top 5, with Pysyk and Weber fighting it out for #6 and #7. If Pysyk loses that battle, I would guess he'll go back down and Rudy or someone else will be the #7.

I'd guess they'll start with Myers, Gorges, Meszaros, Risto, and Benoit as the top 5, with Pysyk and Weber fighting it out for #6 and #7. If Pysyk loses that battle, I would guess he'll go back down and Rudy or someone else will be the #7.

I think Pysyk makes it but why would you send him downand keep Rudy? More minutes in Rochester?

I think Pysyk makes it but why would you send him downand keep Rudy? More minutes in Rochester?

Yes -- I think playing in Rochester would be better for Pysyk than sitting in Buffalo. (The same is true for Rudy, of course -- but TM might view him as more "expendable" than Pysyk.)

I agree with you on 61 but I think 55 has a decent shot with the big club.

Benoit wears 61, so it might be better to say names.

Yes -- I think playing in Rochester would be better for Pysyk than sitting in Buffalo. (The same is true for Rudy, of course -- but TM might view him as more "expendable" than Pysyk.)

I don't think Pysyk would sit in Buffalo.

Myers-Gorges

Pysyk-Meszaros

Benoit-Weber

Rudy

Could put in Risto with Pysyk if he makes the team.

800k must be near the league min. Wonder why he didn't get more if he is a legit top 6. I'm thinking he's either roc bound or the number 7 d.

He's 30, 5'11", 197 lbs. A journeyman hockey player. My guess is that he's looking to find a team he can settle in with, and he's hoping to earn an extension from Buffalo.

Benoit wears 61, so it might be better to say names.

I don't think Pysyk would sit in Buffalo.

Myers-Gorges

Pysyk-Meszaros

Benoit-Weber

Rudy

Could put in Risto with Pysyk if he makes the team.

It's just a guess at this point, but I think Risto will be ahead of Pysyk by the time the season starts -- so the question will be whether Pysyk is good enough to put Weber or Benoit into the #7 slot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.