Cities without championships since 1964

Eleven

So I was just thinking, since Buffalo's last championship in a major sport (AFL 1964 and don't tell me AFL doesn't count because I'll cry if you do), what other US cities have had complete droughts? Here's the list I came up with without doing research:

Cleveland (also 1964)

San Diego (never)

Nashville (never--but a short time frame)

Sacramento (never--but only one sport)

Columbus (never--but a short time frame and only one sport)

Charlotte

I thought about Milwaukee, but the Bucks actually have one.

I think that's it. Is it really that sad? Please, Sabres, do something about this!

Vancouver, Charlotte, Nashville, Jacksonville, Memphis, OKC, Orlando, Sacramento, San Jose San Diego and Buffalo are the cities that have at least one team in the four major leagues (NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB) and don't have a championship. I only counted championships for the leagues under their current title/form.

Buffalo, Nashville and San Diego are the only cities that have more than one team in those sports with no championships.

Edited by Tankalicious

This is why every Buffalo fan should follow the misery loves company doctrine of rooting for other teams. Never, ever root for a team to win their first championship before Buffalo does.

Ah the sal Capaccio protocol. Maybe it's because I'm from rochester but I really don't care who wins what championship if it isn't my team (minus a couple of rivals).

Edited by inkman

So I was just thinking, since Buffalo's last championship in a major sport (AFL 1964 and don't tell me AFL doesn't count because I'll cry if you do), what other US cities have had complete droughts? Here's the list I came up with without doing research:

Cleveland (also 1964)

San Diego (never)

Charlotte

I think that's it. Is it really that sad? Please, Sabres, do something about this!

Take Columbus off the list. #1 sport is OSU football, #2 is MLS soccer, and they have championships in both.

MLS may not be a major sport in the US as a whole, but it's huge to the Colombians.

Cleveland (also 1964)

San Diego (never)

Charlotte

Not for nothing, but we also won the AFL Championship in '65. So we haven't quite suffered as long as Cleveland.

GO SABRES!!!

Technically, San Diego could be worse than Buffalo because our NFL teams are equivalent but their baseball team was established one year earlier than the Sabres.

Vancouver, Charlotte, Nashville, Jacksonville, Memphis, OKC, Orlando, Sacramento, San Jose San Diego and Buffalo are the cities that have at least one team in the four major leagues (NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB) and don't have a championship. I only counted championships for the leagues under their current title/form.

Buffalo, Nashville and San Diego are the only cities that have more than one team in those sports with no championships.

Salt Lake City.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Ah the sal Capaccio protocol. Maybe it's because I'm from rochester but I really don't care who wins what championship if it isn't my team (minus a couple of rivals).

To me the only thing worse than a cup-less lifetime as I enter my 70's would be if every other team had at least one to their credit while the Sabres were still cup-less. Who is Sal Cappacio?

I'm sticking to pro sports.

I understand. I see what you're doing. I'm just trying to make you feel worse about sports-life. :P

If you're measuring relative misery, Columbus won't give two hoots if the Blue Jackets win and the Buckeyes don't.

Also the Crew had average attendance of 16,080 last year (and they are in the middle of a rebuild). The Blue Jackets got just 14,658 (during their best season ever).

The Columbians are much less miserable than their Hockey Team would indicate.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

I understand. I see what you're doing. I'm just trying to make you feel worse about sports-life. :P

If you're measuring relative misery, Columbus won't give two hoots if the Blue Jackets win and the Buckeyes don't.

Also the Crew had average attendance of 16,080 last year (and they are in the middle of a rebuild). The Blue Jackets got just 14,658 (during their best season ever).

The Columbians are much less miserable than their Hockey Team would indicate.

If we're counting cities that care more about college sports than pro sports, a number of cities come off of Tank's final list.

I'm not counting MLS. Not because it doesn't have fans; it does. But the level of competition is so poor. It's barely watchable.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.