The "meddling" Kim Pegula???

LabattBlue

I liked the Terry we heard about before Pegula Day. I even liked Terry up to, "Lindy ain't…" The rest of the day was just weird, like Terry blaming the Buffalo News for the "quit" in the 2010-11 Sabres. (Here's where someone will say I'm making stuff up and/or ask for a link and/or say I have a narrative/agenda. He said it.)

I would have loved to have written a different version of Pegula as owner. I followed the facts — and the money. You have a team that had to go crazy on July 1 to get to the floor. No one would have believed that on that February day three years ago. No one.

See the Trial thread. I lay out the facts and the truth. If you can't handle it, too bad.

Fourth man in? I'm just curious what role nobody is comfortable with?

Facts?

See is things like saying you present "facts" that makes your obsession so comical.

Which cities? What are their franchise values? What is their median income? What is their real estate market?

If you are working the sports beat in Buffalo, it's like anything else. You max out at a lower level.

What? You need to push over Bill Hoppe of the OTH to get the story? The gaggle is pretty thin.

How about, a simple line like......"The News called Mike Gilbert with the question of Kim Pegula's role at meetings, he had no comment on the matter of her attendance, role, or who might be in the room."

Isn't that a little better than going Kitty Kelley with anonymous people, scratching anonymous heads, for anonymous reasons, at anonymous times. Journalism can still be about getting people on the record, even if they have nothing to say.

I liked the Terry we heard about before Pegula Day. I even liked Terry up to, "Lindy ain't…" The rest of the day was just weird, like Terry blaming the Buffalo News for the "quit" in the 2010-11 Sabres. (Here's where someone will say I'm making stuff up and/or ask for a link and/or say I have a narrative/agenda. He said it.)

I would have loved to have written a different version of Pegula as owner. I followed the facts — and the money. You have a team that had to go crazy on July 1 to get to the floor. No one would have believed that on that February day three years ago. No one.

See the Trial thread. I lay out the facts and the truth. If you can't handle it, too bad.

If you indeed followed the money, you be pushing (or really, ever have pushed) the nonsensical narrative that TP isn't spending enough on the team.

Facts?

See is things like saying you present "facts" that makes your obsession so comical.

Yes, facts. As in quoting Terry.

The summer signings of 2011: "It was my decision." He said it. Fact!

Darcy said the extent of the rebuild underway toward the end of his tenure would be determined by Terry. Fact!

"I can work with him."

Terry's a bit out of it? The "quit" quote. The awful Brown-Black joke. "I didn't know the team was for sale" (in 2002).

It's out there.

Yes, facts. As in quoting Terry.

The summer signings of 2011: "It was my decision." He said it. Fact!

Darcy said the extent of the rebuild underway toward the end of his tenure would be determined by Terry. Fact!

"I can work with him."

Terry's a bit out of it? The "quit" quote. The awful Brown-Black joke. "I didn't know the team was for sale" (in 2002).

It's out there.

2002?

If you indeed followed the money, you be pushing (or really, ever have pushed) the nonsensical narrative that TP isn't spending enough on the team.

Link?

2002?

Yes. He didn't know the team was for sale in 2002. Clarity!

Edited by PASabreFan

I don't think there is any such narrative (and that term never gets old). The problem is how the money has been spent and who has been making the hockey decisions.

Having said that, yes, I have a measure of suspicion that the decision to tank wasn't about figuring out the smartest way to win those multiple Cups.

Terry said on Day One, in answering a question about how long he'd own the team, that the answer was sitting in front of him (he looked at his two adult kids). He said on Day One he knew he needed to spend money in the short term to get things working the way he wanted. He never said he was going to spend drunkenly forever.

As time went on, Ted Black started talking about a "future owner" he had to think about when he raised ticket prices to keep the welfare check from the league coming in. He said he couldn't count of Terry's money forever.

Now the Pegulas are rumored to be interested in buying the Bills. Such an opportunity was not unexpected, what with Cliff Benson's experience with actuarial tables and Battista's with smothering people with pillows.

And the Sabres are at the salary floor. The fans keep coming, and anyone who has a cross word to say about GMTM or the future of the team will be met with a universal, "Give it time!"

If the kids are going to take over sooner rather than later, it's a pretty nice spot to put them in.

Edited by PASabreFan

I don't think there is any such narrative (and that term never gets old). The problem is how the money has been spent and who has been making the hockey decisions.

Having said that, yes, I have a measure of suspicion that the decision to tank wasn't about figuring out the smartest way to win those multiple Cups.

Terry said on Day One, in answering a question about how long he'd own the team, that the answer was sitting in front of him (he looked at his two adult kids). He said on Day One he knew he needed to spend money in the short term to get things working the way he wanted. He never said he was going to spend drunkenly forever.

As time went on, Ted Black started talking about a "future owner" he had to think about when he raised ticket prices to keep the welfare check from the league coming in. He said he couldn't count of Terry's money forever.

Now the Pegulas are rumored to be interested in buying the Bills. Such an opportunity was not unexpected, what with Cliff Benson's experience with actuarial tables and Battista's with smothering people with pillows.

And the Sabres are at the salary floor. The fans keep coming, and anyone who has a cross word to say about GMTM or the future of the team will be met with a universal, "Give it time!"

If the kids are going to take over sooner rather than later, it's a pretty nice spot to put them in.

No one, ultimately, is disputing that the Pegulas are in charge, as owners, of the whole shebang. Are they?

If we are revisiting this, I'm opting out.

Something that was started (I'm assuming) as a tongue-in-cheek statement which has now been spun as serious by the usual suspects.

OP can clarify. I don't think it was a joke thread.

No one, ultimately, is disputing that the Pegulas are in charge, as owners, of the whole shebang. Are they?

If we are revisiting this, I'm opting out.

Has it been suggested they are not in charge, as owners?

OP can clarify. I don't think it was a joke thread.

Has it been suggested they are not in charge, as owners?

You seem to suggest that they are, are too much, shouldn't be, don't like it, are suspicious of it, etc....?

I think we've explored most nuances. In the end, it's a conversation that you can continue to have.

I'll just speak from my end, I just think it is exhausted.

Fair enough?

What? You need to push over Bill Hoppe of the OTH to get the story? The gaggle is pretty thin.

How about, a simple line like......"The News called Mike Gilbert with the question of Kim Pegula's role at meetings, he had no comment on the matter of her attendance, role, or who might be in the room."

Isn't that a little better than going Kitty Kelley with anonymous people, scratching anonymous heads, for anonymous reasons, at anonymous times. Journalism can still be about getting people on the record, even if they have nothing to say.

I don't think anyone is talking about this particular blurb....they are talking Buffalo Sports Media in general terms, not having any specific knowledge of transactions ahead of time and speculating like everyone else.

My point is, you live in a small city with 1/1000 the wealth and resources of some of the spots that have media with more pull. The shutting out of the Buffalo News by both of the past 2 owners is a valid point, but you are only going to get a certain level of Gumshoe at $48,000 a year.

I don't think anyone is talking about this particular blurb....they are talking Buffalo Sports Media in general terms, not having any specific knowledge of transactions ahead of time and speculating like everyone else.

My point is, you live in a small city with 1/1000 the wealth and resources of some of the spots that have media with more pull. The shutting out of the Buffalo News by both of the past 2 owners is a valid point, but you are only going to get a certain level of Gumshoe at $48,000 a year.

Okay. I can see your point there. I wasn't quite sure where you were going.

You seem to suggest that they are, are too much, shouldn't be, don't like it, are suspicious of it, etc....?

I think we've explored most nuances. In the end, it's a conversation that you can continue to have.

I'll just speak from my end, I just think it is exhausted.

Fair enough?

I just don't want non-hockey people making hockey decisions. It's such a no-brainer, I'm always a bit stunned when I get disagreement. And I'm the contrarian!

If I spent millions of dollars on a sports team (NHL, NFL etc.), I darn well would be involved. Why anyone would expect something different from an owner of a multimillion dollar business - whether it is Apple, the Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bills, or any other business - is beyond me.

We are fortunate that the Pegulas decided to buy the Sabres and reportedly want to buy the Bills. They have done more for Buffalo than just about anyone I can think of.

Bucky, Sully etc. should not be surprised that they have burned their bridges with both the Bills and Sabres given some of the BS they have written. I will take Terry and Kim Pegula any day of the week over Bucky, Sully, and Harrington.

Just my two cents.

If GMTM can't convince Kim and Terry that his way is the best way, I want a different GM.

Pretty much. The day he can't convince them to allow him to implement his plan is the day he should walk or be canned.

And if we are still wondering whether this team has a look that it can grow into upper echelon in 2 years, I'd want him gone as well.

Link?

Yes. He didn't know the team was for sale in 2002. Clarity!

Are you seriously pretending that you haven't questioned TP's financial commitment to the team?

Ah, this must be the backpedal.

True enough, but where are the ambitious young guns looking to cut their teeth in a smaller market before moving on to bigger ponds?

I just don't want non-hockey people making hockey decisions. It's such a no-brainer, I'm always a bit stunned when I get disagreement. And I'm the contrarian!

It's such a straw man, I'm always a bit stunned when people keep repeating it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.