SIGNING: Sabres Sign Matt Moulson

spndnchz

Ehrhoff is exactly the parallel. We were just soundly ridiculed for what might happen in the future - and wrongfully so. I think buying erhoff out was a tough decision but the right one. But now we just stuck our dick back in the same knothole we pulled it out of.

You just buy him out that last year if he's dead by then. Only a 1.6 Mill hit then. That's like spitting WITH the wind in 2018.

I love bringing Moulson back. He can score, but he also is a character guy. Another point most of you already know, he grew up not too far away from Buffalo and as a Bills fan. He is essentially a local guy like Gionta.

Edited by Peter

Ehrhoff is exactly the parallel. We were just soundly ridiculed for what might happen in the future - and wrongfully so. I think buying erhoff out was a tough decision but the right one. But now we just stuck our dick back in the same knothole we pulled it out of.

Not exactly the same thing. If Ehrhoff acts rationally (not playing for $1MM/yr when he could either retire or go to Europe and make more for a shorter season), the Sabres would have been hit w/ recapture - at least $3MM/ probably 5MM for 2 years or $10MM over a single season depending upon when he quit.

W/ Moulson, they could send him and a 2nd to somebody and voila, no cap hit. If they buy the last 2 years out, it's still less than Ehrhoff's recapture.

I'll let it go and make this my ladt post to you on the subject, as we won't see eye to eye on this one.

I love bringing Moulson back. He can score, but he also is a character guy. Another point most of you already know, he grew up not to far away from Buffalo and as a Bills fan. He is essentially a local guy like Gionta.

Yeah, and he played college hockey at Cornell and his sister played at Niagara. He is more-or-less a local guy. :)

I'm a little surprised by all the bitching. We're still ridiculously below the cap and we were the lowest scoring team in hockey by a huge margin last year. $5 mil is pretty affordable by NHL standards and he puts the puck in the net, which is the one thing this team needs most. And, as chz points out, buy him out if he stinks in year 4 or 5 of the contract.

You just buy him out that last year if he's dead by then. Only a 1.6 Mill hit then. That's like spitting WITH the wind in 2018.

Good call. I think that pretty much settles the future cap hit concern.

Korab -- I'm satisfied. How 'bout you?

Not exactly the same thing. If Ehrhoff acts rationally (not playing for $1MM/yr when he could either retire or go to Europe and make more for a shorter season), the Sabres would have been hit w/ recapture - at least $3MM/ probably 5MM for 2 years or $10MM over a single season depending upon when he quit.

W/ Moulson, they could send him and a 2nd to somebody and voila, no cap hit. If they buy the last 2 years out, it's still less than Ehrhoff's recapture.

I'll let it go and make this my ladt post to you on the subject, as we won't see eye to eye on this one.

You know Ehrhoff's utility function?

....I'll go away now :P

Except that we gave him a no trade, so the ability to move him isnt guranteed. Yes, it is potentially a smaller hit than ehrhoff's recapture, but potentially larger. But then there is the buyout possibility.

Good call. I think that pretty much settles the future cap hit concern.

Korab -- I'm satisfied. How 'bout you?

It certainly makes me feel better.

SABRES SIGN MOULSON TO MULTI-YEAR CONTRACT

BUFFALO, N.Y. (July 1, 2014) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has signed forward Matt Moulson to a multi-year contract.

Moulson (6’1″, 200 lbs., 11/1/83) re-joins the Sabres after finishing the 2013-14 season with 13 points (6+7) in 20 regular-season games and three points (1+3) in 10 games in the Stanley Cup Playoffs as a member of the Minnesota Wild.

Originally acquired by the Sabres on Oct. 27, 2013 in a trade with the New York Islanders, Moulson registered 29 points (11+18) in 44 games with the Sabres in the 2013-14 season, before being traded to the Wild along with Cody McCormick in exchange for Torrey Mitchell and two draft picks. He led the Sabres in both goals and points at the time of the trade.

A native of North York, Ontario, Moulson was selected by Pittsburgh in the ninth round (263rd overall) of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft and made his NHL debut with Los Angeles in 2007-08. In 397 regular-season games in seven seasons spent with the Kings, Islanders, Sabres and Wild, Moulson has recorded 275 points (141+134), adding six points (3+3) in 16 playoff games. Moulson ranks 13th among NHL players with 135 goals since his first full NHL season in 2009-10 and has scored 30 goals three times in his five full NHL seasons.

I don't see how you can make this statement.

Moulson will be 35 in year 4 of this deal and 36 in year 5. He could easily have fallen completely off the table just in time for the Sabres to have emerged as real Cup contenders -- and a $5MM cap slot at that time will be a precious commodity.

If avoiding a future cap hit was a big reason to trade Ehrhoff, we shouldn't pretend it's not an issue here.

Not really that similar at all. Big difference between a 5 mil cap hit in 5 years, and a 10mil cap hit in 7 years. In 5 years around 5 of our prospects will be in their first deal. And let's just say if we are anywhere near cap trouble because of moulson's 5 mil, then things went great. Reinhart is a superstar, grigorenko's bridge contract is done and he is due for a payday, Girgensons, Larsson are top 6 players, ristolainen and zadorov are top pairing Dmen, and pysyk and McCabe are top 4!

Realistically in 5 years tho, cap shouldn't really be that much of an issue. Hopefully we are spending to the cap to put us over the top. But the beauty of a great prospect system is we have a lot of players that we will have on team friendly contracts

Edited by Numark

Not really that similar at all. Big difference between a 5 mil cap hit in 5 years, and a 10mil cap hit in 7 years. In 5 years around 5 of our prospects will be in their first deal. And let's just say if we are anywhere near cap trouble because of moulson's 5 mil, then things went great. Reinhart is a superstar, grigorenko's bridge contract is done and he is due for a payday, Girgensons, Larsson are top 6 players, ristolainen and zadorov are top pairing Dmen, and pysyk and McCabe are top 4!

Forget our guys, what about deadline deals, trades and free agents?

if the salary cap is 85M in 5 years, he will be making 1.2M over league average. If he can still net 15-20 at age 36, and there is plenty of reason to believe he will, then he'll still be ok value for the deal.

We'll be fine. You are absolutely right in thinking 3 or 4 years would have been better, but I think you're over playing the damage of the '19-'20 season.

if the salary cap is 85M in 5 years, he will be making 1.2M over league average. If he can still net 15-20 at age 36, and there is plenty of reason to believe he will, then he'll still be ok value for the deal.

We'll be fine. You are absolutely right in thinking 3 or 4 years would have been better, but I think you're over playing the damage of the '19-'20 season.

Heck the Sabres even have enough cap space to sign Christian Ehrhoff next July 1st. :devil:

Why do you think a 5 mil cap hit for 36 year old is going to hurt us so much? He isn't going to be 40 and this isn't a 10 year deal. I would recommend being open to him and try to have an open mind. He isn't a small perimeter player like you mentioned, he is a player with a solid shot who produces, goes to the dirty areas and will fight for the puck, wants to be in buffalo, and from everyone's account is a great locker room presence.

and gerbe is 5'7".

look at him on the ice. He's not that big. And he certainly doesn't play anywhere near that big. Agree or disagree, I don't care. My point isn't as much about the player as it is about the term. Especially in light of the fact he will be 36 in the final year of that contract.

He plays just fine, I think consecutive 20+goal seasons prove that. Could he be on the decline at 36? Absolutely, he could be meh. The thing to remember is not only will the cap be higher by then, but the Sabres will also still be young. Most players will be on RFA deals and having that 5mil against the cap in 5 years really shouldn't be a huge problem. Do I wish it was for 4yrs instead? Yes but if we need to pay the extra to actually get the ONLY legitimate LW on the team (Ennis is apparently a center now) then I can live with that.

PS. Every single place I go for stats has Matt Moulson at 6'1" 205lbs+ so no he isn't smallish.

Glad everyone is so in love with him. I disagree. This is probably the first TM dud. Time will tell. He's certainly entitled to miss on a couple when he's taking big swings.

I guess I just don't understand how you see him as a dud. I understand the contract question but the player himself you see as a dud?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.