2014 Unrestricted Free Agency - Sabres Strategy

IKnowPhysics

61 members have voted

1. 1. When considering quality and quantity of UFAs to pursue, the Sabres should:

• abandon the tank. Pursue UFA players that will immediately and significantly improve the team.
    • not necessarily abandon the tank, but partly improve the team long term. Pursue UFA players that may not significantly or immediately improve the team, but may be quality supplemental players to our prospects.
    • go hardcore tank. Do not pursue UFA players above beyond what is necessary to maintain roster/payroll minimums.
    • do some other thing.
  2. 2. When considering what to do with rising prospects and their potential to fill in roster gaps, the Sabres should:

• let the prospects to compete for roster spots on the NHL team.
    • pursue UFAs to fill NHL roster spots and let the prospects develop in the farm system.
    • do some other thing.

I'll take all 3, Orpik and Shawn Thorton and trade Ehrhoff. That'd be a group of good characters for our many youngsters to learn from.

1 for each offensive line, Ellis captains Rochester and Orpik would bring a vet leader for the D. Get 1 more vet Dman and then fill the roster with whosever left so we can limit the amount of youngsters on this losing franchise. Plus all the forwards would be of use for the next 5 years or so thus helping the transition.

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford

Hodgson-Girgs-Callahan

Ott-Foligno-Stewart

Thorton-Flynn-Kaleta

I can't quite figure out what to do with Stewart or Stafford in the end, we just have so much riffraff that trying to set up a solid group of vets is a tad difficult. The other three players I see future problems with are Hodgson, Foligno, and Kaleta since in the assumption we take Reinhart and "McDavid" I can't fit those 3 + the other two comfortably.

Moulson-McDavid- Girgs?

Ennis-Reinhart-(Stafford/Stewart)

Ott- Hodgson- Callahan

Thorton-Foligno-Flynn

Kaleta

Risto-Zadorov

Myers-Pysyk

McCabe-Weber/Orpik

This actually isn't a bad idea at all.

I may sound like I'm playing NHL14 here but what I would LOVE for the Sabres to do is go up to Callahan with big money and say,

"Look Ryan, we can't promise you much success this coming season, but we're going to make a big splash next summer (Kane?) and name you captain. We're gonna be a Stanley Cup competitive team in a year and we're building it around you."

I may sound like I'm playing NHL14 here but what I would LOVE for the Sabres to do is go up to Callahan with big money and say,

"Look Ryan, we can't promise you much success this coming season, but we're going to make a big splash next summer (Kane?) and name you captain. We're gonna be a Stanley Cup competitive team in a year and we're building it around you."

I'd be on board with Callahan. I don't think he's going to put up great numbers (especially on the Sabres) but I think he's the player you want younger players to model their game after. I'm fine overpaying for him. Him or the thrilling play of Matt D'Agostini? :P

Also I'm not against signing a few guys that might have trade value at the deadline.

Dustin Penner, maybe?

Edited by X. Benedict

Ideally, I want a couple dependable veteran forwards who can line up against the other team's top lines, and a veteran defenceman who is better than Hank.

But I have frequently been on the record as supporting overpaying for Callahan, good enough to help develop the kids, not good enough to derail the tank, young enough to still be useful when we get good, affordable under the cap, if we can keep it to five years.

This is basically my line of thinking except that I want the veteran d-man to replace McBain who is pretty useless in his own end. Hank can stay around as the veteran 7th d-man. Playing out different scenarios on CapGeek we pretty much have to add a d-man and two (or more) forwards to hit the cap floor.

And, for Christ's sake, can we just get rid of Conacher. I'm tired of smurfs who don't score and get tossed around the ice like rag dolls!

I'll take all 3, Orpik and Shawn Thorton and trade Ehrhoff. That'd be a group of good characters for our many youngsters to learn from.

1 for each offensive line, Ellis captains Rochester and Orpik would bring a vet leader for the D. Get 1 more vet Dman and then fill the roster with whosever left so we can limit the amount of youngsters on this losing franchise. Plus all the forwards would be of use for the next 5 years or so thus helping the transition.

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford

Hodgson-Girgs-Callahan

Ott-Foligno-Stewart

Thorton-Flynn-Kaleta

I can't quite figure out what to do with Stewart or Stafford in the end, we just have so much riffraff that trying to set up a solid group of vets is a tad difficult. The other three players I see future problems with are Hodgson, Foligno, and Kaleta since in the assumption we take Reinhart and "McDavid" I can't fit those 3 + the other two comfortably.

Moulson-McDavid- Girgs?

Ennis-Reinhart-(Stafford/Stewart)

Ott- Hodgson- Callahan

Thorton-Foligno-Flynn

Kaleta

Risto-Zadorov

Myers-Pysyk

McCabe-Weber/Orpik

You do realize that line up makes the playoffs right?

Okay ...... this is the shortlist UFA plan

Moulson, Callahan, Brian Boyle - this guys are all in for a payday.

Down this list:

Penner is a worth a look too. I really wonder if Ted Nolan could light a fire under Benoit Pouliot, but I wouldn't break the bank to find out.

Edited by X. Benedict

Down this list:

Penner is a worth a look too. I really wonder if Ted Nolan could light a fire under Benoit Pouliot, but I wouldn't break the bank to find out.

How do you feel about Ott?

I like all of the guys you mentioned, but I'd rather bring in 2 centers and 1 winger than 2 wingers and 1 center.

How do you feel about Ott?

I like all of the guys you mentioned, but I'd rather bring in 2 centers and 1 winger than 2 wingers and 1 center.

Ott is really best at the wing, though he can take a face-off.

Ott is work and hustle, but his true talent is really wasted in Buffalo, which is getting under the skin of teams.

I don't mind if he gets added.

Ott seems to me to be the kind of player that really enjoys being one of the 'go-to' guys. He likes being the guy everybody looks up to and relies on in the locker room. He knows if he came back to BFLO that that would describe his role. I think if he went to a contender he might just be another 3rd liner.

Down this list:

Pouliot doesn't need a fire, he was terrific this year. I'm on board with adding him and Boyle. We'd still be awful and able to complete the tank, but we'd be a more respectable kind of last place.

My ideal lineup for next year features three second lines and three veteran free agents:

Callahan/Reinhart/Ott

Stafford/Ennis/Foligno

Stewart/Girgensons/Hodgson

Deslauriers/Mitchell/Larsson/Kaleta

Ehrhoff/Ristolainen

Myers/Orpik

Weber/Pysyk

The problem is if enough of the kids improve, that lineup could spoil the tank.

Realistically, I could see Ott or Callahan, but not both.

And the veteran defenceman would probably be closer to Hank than Orpik.

Pouliot doesn't need a fire, he was terrific this year. I'm on board with adding him and Boyle. We'd still be awful and able to complete the tank, but we'd be a more respectable kind of last place.

Interesting, I still kind of look at Pouliot as the #4 pick that didn't pan.

He needs a more consistent game IMO. Somebody will overpay him though.

Interesting, I still kind of look at Pouliot as the #4 pick that didn't pan.

He needs a more consistent game IMO. Somebody will overpay him though.

Sure, he's not a top line player like you hope to draft there, but once a player is established in the NHL I really don't think they should be evaluated in terms of their draft position. Pouliot is one of the top 3rd liners in the league and can play top-6 minutes in a pinch without embarrassing himself.

You know, it might not be all that hard to attract some of the better, younger FAs here. By all accounts, our prospect pool is pretty hot, we have all of those picks in the next two drafts, and we still have the media clips of the owner saying he wants to win multiple Stanley Cups.

The Sabres have lots of money and cap room to throw around, their building and resources (in the aggregate) will be amongst the best in the league, and, again, the media seems all on board with the Sabres having a bright future.

If some of these guys are interested in a hefty, long-term contract, where there's the chance of it paying off in being part of a perennial contender not unlike LA or Chicago, in an area that has been nationally recognized as up-and-coming, where the cost-of-living is low, and lots of ex-players like to settle in thanks to it being "family friendly", then the Sabres PowerPoint presentation will be a pretty convincing one.

Indeed, I would say the Sabres may be in a better position now to attract some FAs than they were when TPegs first took over. Partially from their own doing, partially from things happening in the area.

You know, it might not be all that hard to attract some of the better, younger FAs here. By all accounts, our prospect pool is pretty hot, we have all of those picks in the next two drafts, and we still have the media clips of the owner saying he wants to win multiple Stanley Cups.

The Sabres have lots of money and cap room to throw around, their building and resources (in the aggregate) will be amongst the best in the league, and, again, the media seems all on board with the Sabres having a bright future.

If some of these guys are interested in a hefty, long-term contract, where there's the chance of it paying off in being part of a perennial contender not unlike LA or Chicago, in an area that has been nationally recognized as up-and-coming, where the cost-of-living is low, and lots of ex-players like to settle in thanks to it being "family friendly", then the Sabres PowerPoint presentation will be a pretty convincing one.

Indeed, I would say the Sabres may be in a better position now to attract some FAs than they were when TPegs first took over. Partially from their own doing, partially from things happening in the area.

Buffalo can't compete with Chicago for nightlife. But you aren't going to spend 90 minutes in traffic every time you leave the house either.

Patrick kane in 2015 !!!

seriously if I was a fan as kid of the sabres, and I'm a UFA in 2015, I'm telling bowman now already to shove it because i gave him two stanley cups already and its time to go home.

He's probably sick of Chicago's night life and girls by now. TBH I don't think it will be just him. I expect Buffalo to get a large influx of mid-twenty year olds in 2015. Rumours are flying around Buffalo, not New York, LA or Chicago, is the place to be in America

He's probably sick of Chicago's night life and girls by now. TBH I don't think it will be just him. I expect Buffalo to get a large influx of mid-twenty year olds in 2015. Rumours are flying around Buffalo, not New York, LA or Chicago, is the place to be in America

Buffalo is to America what Da Lat is to Vietnam. Word.

I look forward to when Pat Kane re-signs with the Blackhawks. Then all this nonsense about him coming to buffalo can just go away.

If I'm his agent there is no way I'm letting him come to Buffalo.

Very few players in the league are truly marketable.

You don't move a marketable athlete to Buffalo so he can do D'Lacey Ford commercials.

If I'm his agent there is no way I'm letting him come to Buffalo.

Very few players in the league are truly marketable.

You don't move a marketable athlete to Buffalo so he can do D'Lacey Ford commercials.

Not to mention athletes perform best under ideal conditions. In Chicago he has everything he needs. Two way center to allow him to maximize his opportunities in the O zone. Check. Puck moving D getting him the puck in ideal locations to score. Check. A team with several stars all coming into their prime together. Check.

He comes to Buffalo and loses all that. The Sabres would be his burial site. Going to be at least 5 years before the Sabres have even one of those things in place for him to succeed. Kane comes here and he's Miro Satan without the cool name.

Here is my .02 and two pictures to make tankalicious happy:

We should get a few UFAs to get to the cap floor. UFAs that will help guide our youth and fit in with the coaches system, and possibly as a bonus stick around longer in a support/3rd line role. Puts some rims on the tank, and maybe a better sound system.

I absolutely don't want to give picks away to improve the team in the short term. I've had enough of the last ten years bubble team cycle. I will cry if we do something stupid and shortsighted only to make 8th place and lose in the first round. Ending up in the bottom 3 teams is better in my mind than pos. 10-1 and not making the playoffs the following year.

The way I see it we will get 1.5 NHL ready players from the Draft after next season AND after rostering them still having a pool of prospects that rivals other weaker Draft years.

It may be irrational but I want to capitalize on this chance and make a team that wins the cup every three years while never missing the playoffs in the meantime. Dammit I want to watch the sabres after my birthday (3/30) and not feel indifferent about their performance.

And so, tank on!

post-4419-0-74651700-1403184294_thumb.jpg

post-4419-0-13379700-1403184267_thumb.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.