2014 - 2015 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

mostly I just like that he plays the game with his physical skills rather than crazy mental games. I loved Ryan, but I'm ready for a guy who plays with reaction rather than positioning.

Hasek 2.0, you heard it here first.

I know Ullmark had a bangup regular season for MODO, but I watch Makarov instantly adjust to the AHL and keep it going in the playoffs. He has the "thing" that goalies need. Ullmark is probably too good to keep on the bench, that's the only reason I see him traded a few years from now.

you want a bold prediction? Stafford gets named captain to start the season, by the christmas break he is leading the team in most offensive categories including ice time for forwards, by the all star break (he gets on the team as the token sabre's rep) he signs a contract extension with a limited no trade clause. also to make this conform with the topic............ Samson centers the stafford line and we all argue about if stafford made samson or samson made stafford's year

Edited by drnkirishone

I mean... He was the starter in Rochester (for chunks) last year. So just never again?

My prediction is that Makarov cements himself as the starter while Hackett is out with injury.

Of Measter Lieuwen, Makarov, and him, I'm putting his career arc on the lowest trajectory. For clarity, I'm not saying he won't ever start a game, he'll have a regular backup role. He'll just never be the regular starting goalie.

And Linus is waiting in the wings.

heres a nice read on grigorenko...

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-prospect-mikhail-grigorenko-takes-responsibility-for-past-struggles-it-was-probably-no-ones-fault-but-mine/

i like that he is taking responsibility and trying his best to improve -- he really wants to. also liked that he's excited about most likely starting the season in rochester and getting 'a lot better'

Side note - ristolainen lost 22 pounds apparently… he calls it 'baby fat'

I know he's viewed as an AHL-for-lifer, but I wonder if the thinness on D will lead to JGL getting a look at some point.

I wouldn't count him out at this stage, but the blue line is crowded. He's got some skill though, and righties never seem to go away. It might not be the Sabres, but I could see him getting short term call-ups.

I wouldn't count him out at this stage, but the blue line is crowded. He's got some skill though, and righties never seem to go away. It might not be the Sabres, but I could see him getting short term call-ups.

Well it's crowded by a lot of guys that may or may not be here.

Myers, Gorges, Weber and Meszaros are the only sure things to be in Buffalo to start the year (barring a Myers trade). Then there is McCabe, Ruhwedel, Risto and Zadorov (probably missing somebody).

With those names I could see Zadorov back in London and then the other spots rotating somewhat. I think we'll see Leduc at some point this year.

Well it's crowded by a lot of guys that may or may not be here.

Myers, Gorges, Weber and Meszaros are the only sure things to be in Buffalo to start the year (barring a Myers trade). Then there is McCabe, Ruhwedel, Risto and Zadorov (probably missing somebody).

With those names I could see Zadorov back in London and then the other spots rotating somewhat. I think we'll see Leduc at some point this year.

Rasmus played 34 games in Buffalo last year and has been pretty much universally lauded by the media, fans, and coaching staff for his efforts this summer. I'm guessing he plays close to 80, with one fully rotating spot, and Weber essentially playing a 6/7 role to open some additional playing time for the kids.

That said, one guy goes on LTIR and all bets are off.

Rasmus played 34 games in Buffalo last year and has been pretty much universally lauded by the media, fans, and coaching staff for his efforts this summer. I'm guessing he plays close to 80, with one fully rotating spot, and Weber essentially playing a 6/7 role to open some additional playing time for the kids.

That said, one guy goes on LTIR and all bets are off.

Well there's always a decent shot that somebody gets traded at the deadline anyways. So there's still some spots that will bounce around with injuries/lack of definitive options and trades.

Just taking an inventory - I am pinching myself over Risto - I know it's summer and exuberance should be in check - but he's looking like the complete package in terms of -- everything you want a young defender to be.

The only thing not to love about Risto is the concussion he suffered early last season in Rochester -- which came up again in the playoffs where they were worried he hit his head and may have had another (they eventually cleared him to go back in the game).

Head injuries can negate all the talent of the best players in the world. And we had the same thing with Girgensons right after he was drafted where he had a bad concussion from a cheap shot in his first couple months in Rochester.

The fact that both our first picks from the last two drafts immediately turned pro and were concussed by cheap shots early in their first seasons makes me less enthusiastic about rushing Samson to the NHL this year.

Pysyk is the guy missed above.

As far as I'm concerned, he and Risto are on the team.

Myers, Gorges, Weber and Meszaros round out the starting six.

Seventh spot/first callup will be shared/fought for by McCabe, Nikita, Ruhwedel and Strachan.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.