Sabres Fan Schadenfreude

IKnowPhysics

scha-den-freu-de

ˈSHädənˌfroidə/

noun

pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

Lots of times many of us feel great when teams we don't like ###### it up big time. Huge, spectacular losses in critical games, coach firings, complete team meltdowns, line brawls against other teams, hilarious goalie ###### ups, bad puck bounces, enormous hits against guys we hate,,, the list keeps going. We know how much it sucks when it happens to us, but we know it's hilarious when it happens to other teams. Some of these moments help us in the standings or give a better chance of winning, but many have no tangible effect on our team.

My personal enjoyment doesn't include seeing guys injured, but pretty much everything else is fair game.

What are some of your favorite spectacularly ###### moments that happened to other teams that you enjoyed?

Open net.

divingsaveomg.gif

Marchand on the receiving end:

marchand.gif

The Flyers firing Ken Hitchcock eight games into the '06-'07 season, after being routed by Buffalo 9-1.

There's so many others...

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I used to love me some schadenfreude when I was younger, but these days I try to suppress it and instead try to send out positive vibes... That said, any time the Bruins or Flyers lose, I do feel a little better about the world and my place in it.

There's just no point in any of this, it just comes across as petty and sad. As a "hockey fan" in on the best hockey markets it becomes embarrassing at times.

"Lighten up, Francis." If it's embarrassing here, then it is embarrassing across the entire NHL because it happens in every market. I live in an area with three teams of it's own and transient fans from everywhere else. Everyone,… everyone takes pleasure in watching certain other teams suffer.

There's just no point in any of this, it just comes across as petty and sad. As a "hockey fan" in on the best hockey markets it becomes embarrassing at times.

Petty?

Here's an idea: how would you feel about someone wearing a Sabres jersey to your wedding reception.

How about a Boston Sweater?

If one seems seems kind of inappropriate but laughably sweet at the same time, and the other seems really ###### disgusting, you are a normal fan.

I can never cheer for a team from the East in the Cup final. But I predate fantasy hockey where the teams no longer matter.

Booo hoooo hooo we're bad. Booo hooo hooo I love every other team.

The Leafs' annual tailspin ran like clockwork this year :thumbsup:

I don't wish bad things for Toronto but can't help cracking a smile when it does happen. I will readily admit to hating Boston having success. I've disliked that team for as long as I can remember. Those are the only two teams that results in negative emotions for me. Well, Ottawa used to be on that list as well, but it just isn't there for me anymore.

Fans bases like Buffalo's, that hate successful teams, and good players on other teams, come off as downtrodden people living in third world countries who throw rocks at the arrogant Americans driving past in their Hummers. Some of the same people who are filled with hate for the Bruins could never muster up one shred of vitriol for Darcy or Lindy and what was happening to our franchise. It's almost like they enjoy their comfort zone.

I'm no fan of Boston, but I'm going to direct my ire at the appropriate place until we're another Boston, and the sad sack franchises like we used to be start booing us and hating our players.

Fans bases like Buffalo's, that hate successful teams, and good players on other teams, come off as downtrodden people living in third world countries who throw rocks at the arrogant Americans driving past in their Hummers. Some of the same people who are filled with hate for the Bruins could never muster up one shred of vitriol for Darcy or Lindy and what was happening to our franchise. It's almost like they enjoy their comfort zone.

I'm no fan of Boston, but I'm going to direct my ire at the appropriate place until we're another Boston, and the sad sack franchises like we used to be start booing us and hating our players.

This is ######. Every fanbase does this. The hate for Pittsburgh right now is almost universal outside of western PA. Detroit's success has led to fans in the western conference to root for their demise (or transfer to the East) every season for awhile now. And the concept of hating a bitter rival and wishing no success for them is ingrained in sports.

We have the best, most skillful, top talent accidental trolls on the internet. I'm not talking about guys who intentionally drop into conversations to get a rise. Our guys just have contrarian nonsense encoded in the quaternary language of their DNA.

At least here, they eat well.

We have the best, most skillful, top talent accidental trolls on the internet. I'm not talking about guys who intentionally drop into conversations to get a rise. Our guys just have contrarian nonsense encoded in the quaternary language of their DNA.

yeah, bad on me for taking the bait.

I don't buy this at all. Way off the mark IMO.

You don't think Montreal fans hate Boston too?

Edited by X. Benedict

Are we just supposed to rag on our own players all summer long?

Honestly, what would you have of Sabres fans if we're not allowed to say negative things about other franchises or make fun of their failures?

No, we're supposed to gobble Lucic's knob while crying.

Are we just supposed to rag on our own players all summer long?

Honestly, what would you have of Sabres fans if we're not allowed to say negative things about other franchises or make fun of their failures?

Next we're going to be told that it is our fault the Sabres are so bad because we keep buying tickets.

This is ######. Every fanbase does this. The hate for Pittsburgh right now is almost universal outside of western PA. Detroit's success has led to fans in the western conference to root for their demise (or transfer to the East) every season for awhile now. And the concept of hating a bitter rival and wishing no success for them is ingrained in sports.

Yeap. Not really sure where these guys/girls are coming from claiming that we're from a "third-world country" just because we don't get on our knees for the bitter rivals of our favorite team. One of the strangest thoughts shared by multiple people since I came to this board.

I don't buy this at all. Way off the mark IMO.

You don't think Montreal fans hate Boston too?

Speak o the devil. If it were up to you, Lindy and Darcy would still be here!

People who call people they disagree with trolls are trolls.

If you are above hating a bitter rival, then you're missing out on a huge part of the true fan experience. Or you're just trolling.

That's not a "true fan experience" I ever want to be a part of. As a Sabres fan I have great respect for teams like the Bruins and Penguins. As a Red Sox fan I have great respect for a franchise like the New York Yankees. As A Bills fan I have great respect for the New England Patriots. I also have great respect for the great sports cities like New York, Boston and Chicago. I have no need or desire to put other sports teams or cities down to distract from where my teams are at the moment. I don't need to rail on other fan bases or manufacture league wide conspiracy as so many here do. We here claim to be among the best and most knowledgeable hockey.sports fans around. We can't be if we continue as a group to allow our jealousies and inferiority complex rule the day. We should as a group be better than this. It's drags the board as a whole down to a level which is extremely unflattering.

Speak o the devil. If it were up to you, Lindy and Darcy would still be here!

People who call people they disagree with trolls are trolls.

"Troll" apparently now means those who drive conversations in a direction that a poster disagrees with. It is a tool used by those who are incapable of effectively countering an argument. It's the John Scott of posting, ineffective and lacking of any skill.

No, we're supposed to gobble Lucic's knob while crying.

Stay classy San Diego!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.