Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

Umm, freeman, what did i say could happen if Marrone called a perfect one? (And he did--he is learning from mistakes against Miami and KC.) Awesome Buffalo weekend. Amerks, Sabs, and Bills win.

Did you watch the game? His side of the ball did absolutely nothing to win this game. Zilch. He had a few iffy calls. Didn't do anything noticeably terrible for once, but he gave Green Bay every chance to win the game.

Also, I love Schwartz but I think this defense has proven that it's more of a talent thing than a coaching thing.

Edited by Tank

This D is all-time great this year. Orton is hot garbage. If we had even a decent QB, we would be a serious Superbowl contender. Beyond frustrating, but hey they are still alive and we live another week. Go Bills!

If Orton weren't here, we would have been out of a playoff spot three weeks ago. EJ never would have pulled off wins against Minnesota and Detroit.

Umm, freeman, what did i say could happen if Marrone called a perfect one? (And he did--he is learning from mistakes against Miami and KC.) Awesome Buffalo weekend. Amerks, Sabs, and Bills win.

You called it! Nicely done. Great win -- it's gotta be in the top 3 in the last 15 years.

And might I suggest that no serious Bills fan is celebrating this win by running to SabreSpace to even give me an opportunity to ruin their fun.

That's absurd. The first thing I like doing when the Bills win celebrate with Bills fans on the internet. This is my first destination, then I lurk on BBMB a little.

If Orton weren't here, we would have been out of a playoff spot three weeks ago. EJ never would have pulled off wins against Minnesota and Detroit.

BS. We don't know how EJ would be playing if he was in. Either way, Orton played his best football in the month after they gave him the reigns. Since then he's been consistently as bad as EJ was at the beginning of the season.

Maybe worse, because at least EJ can run for a first down, or avoid the rush.

BS. We don't know how EJ would be playing if he was in. Either way, Orton played his best football in the month after they gave him the reigns. Since then he's been consistently as bad as EJ was at the beginning of the season.

It is interesting to watch how Orton's performance has degraded as he relied more on coaching and system and less on instinct and feel.

It is interesting to watch how Orton's performance has degraded as he relied more on coaching and system and less on instinct and feel.

It's almost like when the coach tells you "just don't throw interceptions," TDs don't seem that important anymore.

I don't know if Orton's performance is due to the bolded or just a regression to the mean. Probably a combination of both.

Of course, not sure anyone would argue this.

I think one of the biggest problems that hasn't really been touched on is the fact that Whaley never addressed the RB situation. Spiller got knocked out long term early in the season (he shouldn't have carried the #1 spot that long to begin with, but that's another story). Jackson gets hurt on a regular basis and can't play entire games. Without being able to rely on either of our starting RB's to carry the load much of the season the burden was placed on the QB to throw more often which makes it easier for opposing teams to focus on the passing game. Whaley should be criticized for not addressing this problem. Opposing defenses focus on Orton, Orton can't scramble, and the Bills can't convert 3rd downs by running the ball. Is Orton to blame? Sure, to a point. But you can't (not you personally) criticize Orton solely when he has to work with one of the worst running games in the NFL. This is on Whaley.

I think one of the biggest problems that hasn't really been touched on is the fact that Whaley never addressed the RB situation. Spiller got knocked out long term early in the season (he shouldn't have carried the #1 spot that long to begin with, but that's another story). Jackson gets hurt on a regular basis and can't play entire games. Without being able to rely on either of our starting RB's to carry the load much of the season the burden was placed on the QB to throw more often which makes it easier for opposing teams to focus on the passing game. Whaley should be criticized for not addressing this problem. Opposing defenses focus on Orton, Orton can't scramble, and the Bills can't convert 3rd downs by running the ball. Is Orton to blame? Sure, to a point. But you can't (not you personally) criticize Orton solely when he has to work with one of the worst running games in the NFL. This is on Whaley.

They should draft Todd Gurley if he is there in the 2nd.

I don't think Freddy - Dixon - Brown is a bad group of RBs. I would blame our coaches for terrible run scheming. I'm not sure we saw a hand off not go straight up the middle until like 2 weeks ago. That especially is not what you want to do with Spiller.

Reasonable points, but none of that has anything to do with how horribly inaccurate he's been for most of the season, as well as how easily he gives up on plays. Those are my primary criticisms of him, and they are quite easy to make. He is clearly the weak link on this team, and in typical "Billsy" fashion our weakest link is at the most important position. Beyond frustrating.

Edited by cdexchange

Reasonable points, but none of that has anything to do with how horribly inaccurate he's been for most of the season, as well as how easily he gives up on plays. Those are my primary criticisms of him, and they are quite easy to make. He is clearly the weak link on this team, and in typical "Billsy" fashion our weakest link is at the most important position. Beyond frustrating.

I wouldn't say he's inaccurate. His current completion percentage is better than any season Jim Kelly ever had, which makes him tied with Tom Brady right now. I'm not saying he's the greatest, I'm saying he gets much undeserved criticism. This team has no running game which puts all the pressure on him and every defense focuses on the passing game. Which is why he's had six games of 35+ passing attempts this year. Give him a #1 RB and things might be a whole lot different. Then again, they might not be any different at all. There's something to be said about the earlier mention of how Orton played great when it was out of instinct.

He may not be the answer, but Whaley's not addressing the running game and the season long discipline problems are equally as detrimental to this team in not making the playoffs..... if not more.