Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

They should draft Todd Gurley if he is there in the 2nd.

A guy that might not play in the NFL next season? Nice.

Not sure there is a QB I would use the 2nd rounder on. Admittedly I am unfamiliar with most of the QB's past Mariotta and Winston.

If Connor Cook comes out and nobody takes him in the first he would be worth it. But I think he stays in school.

The QB position will have to be address via trade.

A guy that might not play in the NFL next season? Nice.

If Connor Cook comes out and nobody takes him in the first he would be worth it. But I think he stays in school.

The QB position will have to be address via trade.

Why wouldn't Gurley play in the NFL next season? Because of the ACL? He may be limited to start the season but he should be fine long term.

Edited by LGR4GM

Orton is awful. Just awful. If we had a real QB, I can't even imagine how good this team would be.

That really is the only thing I took away from this game.

I would be remiss, though, if I didn't complain about the officiating, just so that nfreeman knows that while I may be crazy, I'm not crazy.

I wasn't even upset when it happened, but I'll just say this. Watch the penalty called on Watkins on the 2nd drive of the game (thereby setting the tone for what they could do the rest of the game). Then watch the first drive of San Diego in our game with them (I could show countless examples across the NFL where this isn't a penalty, but I'll stick with games that effect us).

If the teams we have played had to play by the same set of rules that we had to play under, our record would be better.

With that said, our QB is terrible and until we get a good one, we won't be an upper echelon team.

Why wouldn't Gurley play in the NFL next season? Because of the ACL? He may be limited to start the season but he should be fine long term.

This team doesn't have the luxury of taking a guy who just had a major injury. Luckily it was a "clean tear" meaning that it won't take the full time to get back on the field. But I just don't want to monkey around with a guy like that. Especially with bigger needs (hello guards).

Offseason game plan if you're Whaley:

-Call every single NFL GM and agent. Find out exactly what it would take to get any of the QBs on their roster. I don't care if it's Denver with Manning and they say "give us your next 100 firsts" or the Jets with Smith and they say "we'll give you our next 100 first to take him." Find out the value of every single QB. Whittle the list down to guys who are worth targeting. Figure out which are the most realistic and attainable targets and negotiate. Get one.

-Give Mike Iupati the Mario Williams treatment. Bring him in and make him the highest paid guard ever (won't cost as much as it sounds like).

-Franchise Hughes while talking long-term deal. Get that done.

-Cut Mike Williams, Keither Rivers and Erik Pears.

-Draft a RB, TE, OG, more I-line and defensive backfield depth and a QB.

-Re-sign Spikes for cheap.

Look at myself in the mirror and think "damn, I'm good."

This team doesn't have the luxury of taking a guy who just had a major injury. Luckily it was a "clean tear" meaning that it won't take the full time to get back on the field. But I just don't want to monkey around with a guy like that. Especially with bigger needs (hello guards).

Definitely something to consider

Instead of solving the QB issue next year, I wouldn't mind revamping the o-line and just being a power run team lol

I think you need to go get a tough down hill runner if that is what you want. Also you'd have to add to the offensive line.

Did you watch the game? His side of the ball did absolutely nothing to win this game. Zilch. He had a few iffy calls. Didn't do anything noticeably terrible for once, but he gave Green Bay every chance to win the game.

Also, I love Schwartz but I think this defense has proven that it's more of a talent thing than a coaching thing.

Marrone did nothing to LOSE it, which was my point. He didn't make stupid calls on 4th and 2, he didn't waste time on the clock, etc. He didn't cost his team the game. Read up, FFS.

Nothing saying a new coach can't keep Schwartz on, especially if he's an offensive guy. Regardless of what happens with the coaches, the QB situation is all that really matters.

Yes. Either EJ learned a lot / learns a lot next year, or no. What happens there is the whole shebang.

Somebody made the Orton-Edwards comparison up-thread; I had said the same thing out loud during the game. Bleh.

They're pretty much the same player, but this team obviously has a much better supporting cast than Edwards ever had. We need to comb the NFL scrap heap for a QB this off-season. I have to believe there is a serviceable QB out there who can at least be a modest upgrade over Orton & Manuel.

Marrone did nothing to LOSE it, which was my point. He didn't make stupid calls on 4th and 2, he didn't waste time on the clock, etc. He didn't cost his team the game. Read up, FFS.

No need to get cranky. You indicated that he called "a perfect one." I don't believe it was a perfect gameplan and j don't believe the fact that he didn't make any game-deciding mistakes is a positive. It's a neutral point. Coaching to win - positive. Coaching to lose - negative. Coaching not to lose - putting the game in the hands of your other coaches.

Today will likely save Marrone's job, but he called a "meh" game. Definitely gave Green Bay the opportunity to win. Trusted his defense and that paid off. Good on him for that. But he's essentially telling his defensive coordinator that he's incapable of winning the game so he needs the DC and defense to do it for him.

They're pretty much the same player, but this team obviously has a much better supporting cast than Edwards ever had. We need to comb the NFL scrap heap for a QB this off-season. I have to believe there is a serviceable QB out there who can at least be a modest upgrade over Orton & Manuel.

Orton gave us best case scenario for scrap heap "serviceable" guys. Played well for a bit and piddled out. Maybe we could get Fitz back. :sick:

Disagree 1000%. Good RBs are a dime a dozen. If we had a good O-line and a somewhat existent passing game Boobie Dix would do fine.

Boobie, Freddy and Bryce. Could even bring in a vet free agent like Frank Gore. I don't want to spend our second round pick on a RB unless it's Melvin Gordon.

No need to get cranky. You indicated that he called "a perfect one." I don't believe it was a perfect gameplan and j don't believe the fact that he didn't make any game-deciding mistakes is a positive. It's a neutral point. Coaching to win - positive. Coaching to lose - negative. Coaching not to lose - putting the game in the hands of your other coaches.

Today will likely save Marrone's job, but he called a "meh" game. Definitely gave Green Bay the opportunity to win. Trusted his defense and that paid off. Good on him for that. But he's essentially telling his defensive coordinator that he's incapable of winning the game so he needs the DC and defense to do it for him.

I'm not cranky, I don't think you got my point, and I'm not surprised.

Orton gave us best case scenario for scrap heap "serviceable" guys. Played well for a bit and piddled out. Maybe we could get Fitz back. :sick:

I'd take Fitz over Orton. Looking at available free agents it is pretty slim picking. Tyrod Taylor, Colt McCoy, Jake Locker, .... not much to choose from.

I'm not cranky, I don't think you got my point, and I'm not surprised.

I was countering the fact that you insinuated that he called a "perfect" game. It was far from the perfect game.

The point that he has learned some things? Quite clearly. And I applaud him. Took him long enough, but good work Dougy.

I'd take Fitz over Orton. Looking at available free agents it is pretty slim picking. Tyrod Taylor, Colt McCoy, Jake Locker, .... not much to choose from.

McCoy will not be a free agent. They'll trade Griffin, though.

I was countering the fact that you insinuated that he called a "perfect" game. It was far from the perfect game.

The point that he has learned some things? Quite clearly. And I applaud him. Took him long enough, but good work Dougy.

Read up for context.

McCoy will not be a free agent. They'll trade Griffin, though.

As of now McCoy will be a UFA. He may not choose to be in Washington. One thing the Bills have is a great defense, which makes us a desirable destination for any QB with starting aspirations.

I'd kick the tires on RGIII. Same with Jake Locker.