Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

Meep

Matthew Barnaby @MattBarnaby3636

I am told this had nothing to with the trade last night.... Nothing to do with Teddy as coach...Far from over and could be real UGLY!

every time someone treats me to one of hIs inane tweets, it is all i can do to hold myself back from replying "YOU CAN COUNT THE GOOD MOVES DARCY MADE ON ONE HAND, BUT THE BEST ONE WAS GETTING STU BARNES FOR YOU- YOU DRUNK DRIVING EX-WIFE BULLYING DOUCHEBAG."

is that too many characters?

Companies love "spin" that works. Remember the rejoicing when Pat LaFontaine arrived? Was great PR for the Sabres Company at the time.

Now Pat LaFontaine, the same individual who got Ted Nolan back, AND hired Tim Murray.... is/was the "problem". And now he's gone, and many fans are willing to accept he was a 'problem' without a lot of questioning.

I can't believe that Pat didn't know that TIm Murray had an aggressive style as GM - he was the one who hired him. And I can't believe that Pat was so fixated on re-signing Ryan Miller that he didn't understand the reality that Ryan Miller is 34 years old, and wanted to play for a team where he had a reasonable chance of winning a Stanley Cup before he retires. That wasn't gonna be Buffalo for at least 2 to 3 seasons (if ever).

And that, if he didn't re-sign with Buffalo at the end of this season, he could go anywhere and Buffalo would get nothing for him in return.

Also, remember - PLF had been M.I.A. all week "with a cold". The trade didn't even solidify apparently until late in the week

It just doesn't add up. I think Pat is smarter than that, that he wasn't gonna get so butt-hurt over the Miller trade he'd take his marbles and go home. I'm inclined to think it's some sort of inner circle BS political horsepuckey.

I'm also not immediately inclined to think this is great news for the Sabres' future. Again, the guy who brought back Ted Nolan, the guy who hired Tim Murray, and the guy who brought some national respect back to a widely ridiculed franchise is now out the door. I'm sorry but I'm not ready to click my heels together with joy at this news.

Edited by Jsixspd

every time someone treats me to one of hIs inane tweets, it is all i can do to hold myself back from replying "YOU CAN COUNT THE GOOD MOVES DARCY MADE ON ONE HAND, BUT THE BEST ONE WAS GETTING STU BARNES FOR YOU- YOU DRUNK DRIVING EX-WIFE BULLYING DOUCHEBAG."

yep ... Can't believe I counted that. Change DOUCHEBAG to D-BAG and you are golden.

This is interesting. Honestly I'll admit to being confused what a hockey president's role is (especially like 3 of them). I'm not necessarily sad or angry, but i am tired and drunk.

In all likelihood, you've had a more interesting night than everyone else here. Please fill us in on the details tomorrow.

WGR has set aside the 11-noon slot Sunday after Shopp and Bulldog for Brian Kolziol to discuss 38's bender last night; there's hope that 38 will do a phone interview. For those thinking 11AM is early for a post-bender interview, remember 38 is on UK time so it'll be 4PM there.

5. How does PLF have a job the moment he resigns from his current one? Did Bettman make that call? Why was this arranged? Who hired PLF today?

It's entirely possible that Pat after resigning/being fired/storming out texted his old boss "######, I just left my job at the Sabres." "Come back and work for me, bro, it'll save me the trouble of finding a new person."

TM seems like he would ransom a family member if he could get another first round pick thrown in...ruthless but those are the people that build great teams because they see the players as commodities and when their production starts declining they replace them...Patriots have been doing it for years, as did the Eagles

haha..that should be somebodies sig. line.

Well, this put a bummer kibosh on what was a very good trade by Murray... He did what had to be done, Miller was leaving and I can't blame him for that, he wants a Cup. Ott was the chaser in the boilermaker scenario to get the deal done. It is a great trade return wise for any GM. LaFontaine?... can't figure this out, he's beloved here and was probably getting a paycheck bi-weekiy that surpasses our yearly income. I do wish that Pegula will step up and address what happened. He was a fan first and I'm sure he'd be asking why?

LFT? Liver Function Test? Louisiana Federation of Teachers? Help me out here.

Least Favored Team

The longer the Sabres take to release any kind of real information the worse this thing looks. It's approaching quagmire status. They are dropping the PR ball hard. This is embarrassing.

What did you expect? They just traded away the one guy who calls out the PR department on Twitter. This will likely go on forever, one stitch at a time.

Whether or not we like him as a person, his tweet makes more sense to me than the "company line". Again, PLF was MIA all week, before the trade with the Blues solidified. I don't think it had anything to do with the decisions that Tim Murray, PLF's EMPLOYEE, was making.

Another scenario, or wild guess, is PLF/TM have no beef whatsoever. Maybe they had a bigger deal in place that was shot down by TP and his "people". With all the Hoff and Myers rumors who knows. PLF could have very easily said to TM "you stay here and further your career" and i will go back to doing what i should be doing in the first place.

I just can't see this having anything to do with a rift between PLF and TM. SOMETHING was overruled. What that is we will probably never know.

Respectfully 11, ###### Lafontaine. What kind of ###### bailout is he pulling here? There is a way to professionally handle these things and it doesn't look like he's doing anything close to that. Buh-Bye patty, it was nice knowing ya.

I initially was all "WTF, SABRES?!"

Then, after a shot and a beer and some 1000 yard stares, I was all "WTF, PLF?!"

After sleeping on it, I am still all "WTF, PLF?"

The troubling part is that this plays into the cronyism anxiety that exists re: TP.

But, seriously. This makes twice that PLF's bounced from a job after a short, short stint. WTF, PLF?

Respectfully 11, ###### Lafontaine. What kind of ###### bailout is he pulling here? There is a way to professionally handle these things and it doesn't look like he's doing anything close to that. Buh-Bye patty, it was nice knowing ya.

I initially was all "WTF, SABRES?!"

Then, after a shot and a beer and some 1000 yard stares, I was all "WTF, PLF?!"

After sleeping on it, I am still all "WTF, PLF?"

The troubling part is that this plays into the cronyism anxiety that exists re: TP.

But, seriously. This makes twice that PLF's bounced from a job after a short, short stint. WTF, PLF?

Companies love "spin" that works. Remember the rejoicing when Pat LaFontaine arrived? Was great PR for the Sabres Company at the time.

Now Pat LaFontaine, the same individual who got Ted Nolan back, AND hired Tim Murray.... is/was the "problem". And now he's gone, and many fans are willing to accept he was a 'problem' without a lot of questioning.

I can't believe that Pat didn't know that TIm Murray had an aggressive style as GM - he was the one who hired him. And I can't believe that Pat was so fixated on re-signing Ryan Miller that he didn't understand the reality that Ryan Miller is 34 years old, and wanted to play for a team where he had a reasonable chance of winning a Stanley Cup before he retires. That wasn't gonna be Buffalo for at least 2 to 3 seasons (if ever).

And that, if he didn't re-sign with Buffalo at the end of this season, he could go anywhere and Buffalo would get nothing for him in return.

Also, remember - PLF had been M.I.A. all week "with a cold". The trade didn't even solidify apparently until late in the week

It just doesn't add up. I think Pat is smarter than that, that he wasn't gonna get so butt-hurt over the Miller trade he'd take his marbles and go home. I'm inclined to think it's some sort of inner circle BS political horsepuckey.

I'm also not immediately inclined to think this is great news for the Sabres' future. Again, the guy who brought back Ted Nolan, the guy who hired Tim Murray, and the guy who brought some national respect back to a widely ridiculed franchise is now out the door. I'm sorry but I'm not ready to click my heels together with joy at this news.

Whole heartedly agree with this.

I may be wrong down the stretch, but at this point I don't think there's any reason to feel partcularly great about LaFontaine leaving.

I can't believe I just read through 14 pages of this thread and there's still no official word on wtf happened yesterday. Like others have said, I could be okay with PLF leaving after a short stint ("my work here is done" kinda thing), but the timing and the way it came out through leaks and unofficial channels is highly suspect. Whether that's on PLF or someone else we still don't know, but I agree with 11: this is ######! Embarrassing all around for the organization.

It's been a long time since I've been here. Looks like I only post once a year, so let's make it a good one. From the outside, this seems to reflect more poorly on PLF than anyone else. Given his history in forcing a trade from Long Island, forcing a trade out of Buffalo, resigning from the Islanders after 40 days, and now abruptly resigning from the Sabres. It appears that while PLF is a very classy individual externally, his pattern of behavior indicates he's pretty temperamental and looks to dramatically leave a situation when things don't go his way.

he also had concussions. lots of them.

Let me summarize my thoughts... If the reasons are that

a) Pat didn't want to trade Miller

b) Thought he would have the last say in trades/negotiations and stuff

then I gotta say Pegula/Murray made the right decision... simple as it is.

So what is the role of president of hockey operations? Pat described the setup as "Office of the General Manager" and Tim would wear the hat. Didn't Pat also say he had two good wingers in Tim and Craig, implying that he, Pat, would be the center?

A lot of you who are in business like to talk about "the way of the world" whenever I get into Terry's meddling. Hey, he's the owner. It's how it works. Well, how many of you have heard of a company vice president or president losing a power struggle to a manager?

Let me summarize my thoughts... If the reasons are that

a) Pat didn't want to trade Miller

b) Thought he would have the last say in trades/negotiations and stuff

then I gotta say Pegula/Murray made the right decision... simple as it is.

PLF should've took this up with RM instead of throwing this little fit. RM made it very clear over the past few months he had no interest in re-signing with the Sabres.

I like that there's zero conversation about who is going to replace Pat as president. It's almost like we instinctively know that the job was a farce to begin with and that no one will replace him, that's who. Terry and his cronies (love that word) are "Office of the President."

I think Pat was just there as a "good feeling guy"... Sabres needed one to fill a hole while there was no GM so they had him in a position that made everyone feel better. Imagine a team with a GM or leader for a few months. So now that they have a GM actually there is no need for Pat anymore. Let's be serious this president of hockey operations role always seemed to be like a "representing the team without having any word on anything". You just put a guy who used to play for you in a role for the media and stuff.

Perhaps the only reason for hiring PLF in the first place was to bring enough Sabres star power to attract the right GM to the position ... if that is the case, TP & crew should have brought Patty in as a special consultant strictly to interview and hire the new GM. IMO, the power struggle is/was between Black (President of the Sabres and responsible for day-to-day operations) and PLF (President of Hockey Operations). I cannot envision a peaceful existence between these two as the positions must have a ton of overlapping responsibilities.

Nothing to do with hockey as PLF knows that both Miller/Ott could possibly be resigned and nothing to do with Nolan as it is believed that TM will give Teddy an extension ...just too many cooks in the kitchen.

My guess is we'll never know what happened. For all we know, Pegula and PL made an arrangement at the beginning that when all the pieces are in place, PL can step aside. I said it before that I would've loved to be a fly on the wall when Pegula initially came begging on his knees and crying to PL to become his GM, only to be told that he didn't have the experience. This to me tells me that the organization is being run by someone who doesn't know what he's doing. When an organization is run by someone who doesn't know what he's doing, there's chaos. I can't expect the truth from Pegula, there's too much shady stuff in his past with fracking and Penn State.

Other than giving a pep talk at a press conference and hiring Nolan and Murray, what did he actually do that was arguably good?

Waive Tropp?

Sign D'Agostini?

Give Omark a tryout?

I'm not sure what value he was adding after Murray was hired. Maybe he saw that too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.