Arthur Staple From NY Newday: Islanders Will Keep 2014 1st

Swedesessed

Was listening to XM Radio this morning and Arthur Staple from New York Newsday (NY Islanders Beat Writer) stated that the Islanders will keep their 1st round pick for 2014 and push the 1st rounder to Buffalo till 2015. Not sure if this was mentioned already but figured I would pass it along.

Edited by (E5)

Was listening to XM Radio this morning and Arthur Staple from New York Newsday (NY Islanders Beat Writer) stated that the Islanders will keep their 1st round pick for 2014 and push the 1st rounder to Buffalo till 2015. Not sure if this was mentioned already but figured I would pass it along.

Makes sense. No team would give up a top-8 pick now for a future unknown pick. Doing so would in some sense be a message to fans that you expect to suck next year too!

Those ######!

Just kidding, that's fine. I'm willing to bet the Islanders remain considerably awful next year. We'll get two high draft picks in the first in 2015 which will 1) increase our chance at winning the McDavid lottery and 2) make it easier to trade those picks for the 1st overall if we don't win the lottery and choose to do so.

Here's to hoping he knows of what he speaks.

Those ######!

Just kidding, that's fine. I'm willing to bet the Islanders remain considerably awful next year. We'll get two high draft picks in the first in 2015 which will 1) increase our chance at winning the McDavid lottery and 2) make it easier to trade those picks for the 1st overall if we don't win the lottery and choose to do so.

I'm not trying to direct this specifically at you but I've read a couple times already about trading up to #1 next year. This will not happen period. If we end up at #1 would you consider trading out of acquiring an absolute franchise changing player? No way I or any other team does. Colorado was loaded at centre last year but wouldn't trade out of taking McKinnon. No chance anyone trades out of McDavid, even for Eichel. I really hope I don't have to read 5 million posts about trading up to #1 next year because it will not happen.

I'm not trying to direct this specifically at you but I've read a couple times already about trading up to #1 next year. This will not happen period. If we end up at #1 would you consider trading out of acquiring an absolute franchise changing player? No way I or any other team does. Colorado was loaded at centre last year but wouldn't trade out of taking McKinnon. No chance anyone trades out of McDavid, even for Eichel. I really hope I don't have to read 5 million posts about trading up to #1 next year because it will not happen.

Agree 100%.

also agreed. no chance. wasn't there a story a few years back that some team (CBJ?) offered their entire draft to move up from the 3rd spot just to 2nd and it was rejected? and that wasn't even for a 'prodigy' prospect like mcDavid. Only way i could possibly see it happening is if we had #2 and offered our entire draft to move to #1 and the other team liked eichel enough to do it

also agreed. no chance. wasn't there a story a few years back that some team (CBJ?) offered their entire draft to move up from the 3rd spot just to 2nd and it was rejected? and that wasn't even for a 'prodigy' prospect like mcDavid. Only way i could possibly see it happening is if we had #2 and offered our entire draft to move to #1 and the other team liked eichel enough to do it

The thing with offering your entire draft to move up is realistically that is only 2 maybe 3 good draft picks. Your 1-3rd round picks might make the deal look appealing but after that you are throwing darts blindfolded while drunk and hoping to hit something. It just isn't a value you trade. Now if it was I will trade you my 1st and 2nd this year and for the next 2 years... well that might make me start to listen.

i would be shocked if they didn't keep this years with Tavares out. They have a good chance of getting a top 3-5 pick now without him playing and moving Vanek & McDonald.

With a decent offseason and an upgrade in net, they could be a playoff team with a healthy Tavares and Buffalo gets a bottom half of the draft 1st from them

Of course with Garth Snow in charge I wouldn't be willing to bet money on that though............

i would be shocked if they didn't keep this years with Tavares out. They have a good chance of getting a top 3-5 pick now without him playing and moving Vanek & McDonald.

With a decent offseason and an upgrade in net, they could be a playoff team with a healthy Tavares and Buffalo gets a bottom half of the draft 1st from them

Of course with Garth Snow in charge I wouldn't be willing to bet money on that though............

That's the thing, w/ a hockey man running the Isles, I'd prefer this year's pick. W/ Snow running them, I wonder how the Sabres can get their '16 pick as well as the '15. Ennis?

That's the thing, w/ a hockey man running the Isles, I'd prefer this year's pick. W/ Snow running them, I wonder how the Sabres can get their '16 pick as well as the '15. Ennis?

Leino and Scott?

I wonder with the move to Brooklyn if Wang may decide Snow is done if they don't make the playoffs this season and he will won't someone else in and open the purse strings to attract some better FAs

Now you're just sounding like Hitler late in WW2 :P

Everyone knew it was over but him.

That was actually Patton, whom, albeit ignorantly, did not believe in the existence of battle fatigue and forbade its diagnosis in the Seventh Army. Before he slapped the ###### out of some guys that had it. Then apologized. Then took the Third Army all the way across Europe.

I highly doubt anyone knows this but Garth Snow. And even he probably doesn't know either. He has to see what position they get, what their draft board is, and how the draft is unfolding.

Does anyone know the official date that the Islanders have to decide by?

Supposedly by a few picks before. And I'm just regurgitating something I read on here.

Edited by kas23

No Tweet or blog post from Staple about this. You'd think he wouldn't just drop it on the radio and not report it elsewhere. Maybe it was more along the lines of an opinion as to what the Isles will do/what he (Staple) would do… (E5)?

Yeah he didn't say it was definite but the way he said it and even if it was his opinion he seemed pretty confident that this was going to be the case

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.