Encounters with Sabres

PASabreFan

My uncle has downs syndrome and we were talking to rob ray after a game. Rob and my uncle were going to pose for a picture acting like they were fighting and my uncle punched rob in the face. The look on robs face was priceless. Always good times when rob is around

OK, just wait a cotton-pickin'-minute (can I say that in 2014?)… was this the night… Rob… pretended to pull off his fake beard and hang it on that hook?! Now it makes sense! He was concussed!

I play against jay McKee every year in a tennis tournament, he wins more often than not.... Also ran into our beloved darcy regier at miller tennis center on a few occasions as his son practiced there.... Also delivered the baby of Tim macre's wife..... That's about it for me, no cool old time stories.

Delivered Mrs. Macre's baby… that's a close second right now. Obscure, but oh so personal. I am holding the top spot for chz. But apparently loose lips sink ships.

Do in game encounters count? Back in the early 90's my buddy and i were sitting first row golds at the aud. Right down by the face-off dot. We were playing the Hartford Whalers. Brad May was leaning up against the boards waiting for a TV timeout to end. My buddy pounds the glass and gets his attention. He motions to May to fight one of the Whalers - sorry memory not that good. May looks at him and them turns and looks at Whaler. Then says "him" through the glass.

Puck drops and God as my witness before they cleared the zone the gloves were dropped and they were going at it. Next time May came in the zone he hit the glass with his stick where we were sitting. Everyone around us knew what he did and we were all screaming. Awesome moment and forever a Brad May fan.

Hell now that i think about it it could have been late 80's. Where does time go?

Edited by sicknfla

Do in game encounters count? Back in the early 90's my buddy and i were sitting first row golds at the aud. Right down by the face-off dot. We were playing the Hartford Whalers. Brad May was leaning up against the boards waiting for a TV timeout to end. My buddy pounds the glass and gets his attention. He motions to May to fight one of the Whalers - sorry memory not that good. May looks at him and them turns and looks at Whaler. Then says "him" through the glass.

Puck drops and God as my witness before they cleared the zone the gloves were dropped and they were going at it. Next time May came in the zone he hit the glass with his stick where we were sitting. Everyone around us knew what he did and we were all screaming. Awesome moment and forever a Brad May fan.

Hell now that i think about it it could have been late 80's. Where does time go?

That is one cool story.

Delivered Mrs. Macre's baby… that's a close second right now. Obscure, but oh so personal. I am holding the top spot for chz. But apparently loose lips sink ships.

Lol where is chz anyways, and what do you know?!?! .. I think some other stories here def top just an encounter at work for me, amazingly I don't have more stories. Anyone here get to skate on the ice at the aud?

Lol where is chz anyways, and what do you know?!?! .. I think some other stories here def top just an encounter at work for me, amazingly I don't have more stories. Anyone here get to skate on the ice at the aud?

I've skated at the aud. I consider Richard martin and family a friend first, sabre legend second. RIP.

on theta note, Rico took me to game 3 of the 99finals. We lost, but I won. He took me to the alumni suite and I shared quite a few drinks with [insert any retired sabre here]. I also shared a barber with lindy Ruff and marcel dion.

I've skated at the aud. I consider Richard martin and family a friend first, sabre legend second. RIP.

on theta note, Rico took me to game 3 of the 99finals. We lost, but I won. He took me to the alumni suite and I shared quite a few drinks with [insert any retired sabre here]. I also shared a barber with lindy Ruff and marcel dion.

Very cool, the aud was gone by time I was old enough for playing there, I was able to hit the ice at marine Midland arena/crossroads areas (I forget what it was when I was there) and my cousin played for the buffalo wings when they had a team so I was able to roller blade there with some of those guys.... Very cool you have sabres history as a friend

That. is. Awesome.

Brad May was nucking futs. Gawd I loved him. Total man crush.

My brother and I went to the third(?) game of the lockout shortened season against the Hurricants. We were sitting in the front row on the corner of the rink, so we got to watch half the game through warped glass. During warm ups Ehrhoff was hanging out right next to us on the other side of the glass. People were yelling to the players but they just went about their business most of the time. I was too drunk to make any decent Deustch sentences so I just yelled that I loved him and his fatherland. He turned and gave me a fist bump through the glass.

On a flight from Detroit to Orlando in 1998 or 1999 my seat was among the Orlando Solar Bears hockey team of the IHL. I made small hockey talk with some of them but most of them were napping or had head phones on. When I found out who they were, i couldn't believe it, as they were just young looking teenage kids. They were all cool and that was a good flight.

I challenged Rob Ray to a good ole hockey fight after ice hockey practice..... he laughingly decided to not test my 13 year old fighting skills. After we shared some shooting/passing and laughed at Dom's standoffish nature as he had the angry Dom face on and wouldn't come down the stairs until my team left the ice.

Edited by drnkirishone

This story is amazing. Not just Sabrespace amazing, all time hockey amazing. I'm trying to find the video. And chance it wasn't the whalers?

Great story! :lol:

I will copy and paste one from fushetti circa 2006:

"Mothers Day 1998, I had to accompany my mother to church as a Mothers Day present. I'm kneeling at OLV in Lackawanna when I turn to my right and the mulleted balding John Gurtler is doing the same at the end of my pew. I immediately ran home and called PASabrefan who gave less of a #%^$#! about my discovery. After church, I went to HSBC Arena to watch Matt Barnaby score a hat-trick in Game 2 of Round 2 of the 1998 playoffs."

Fushetti is wrong. I was merely awestruck.

This story is amazing. Not just Sabrespace amazing, all time hockey amazing. I'm trying to find the video. And chance it wasn't the whalers?

I am pretty sure it was the Whalers. I know it was a Friday night game. Trying to get in touch with my friend who i went with to jar his memory. It was back when the home team wore white. Keep seeing green in my memory. Any hypnotist out there? I would love to find video of it.

Sat at the bar alongside Rico many times at Finlocks in Clarence.

Ha! I used to work at Finlock's in high school. One night, Rico takes off his shoe, blows cigar smoke into it and asks, "Hey Matt, what is this?" "Not sure Rick." "A man standing at a bus stop in Beirut." It was pretty funny and I'm pretty sure he was surpised I got it being a kid and all.

Claude...any chance you reveal your true identity?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.