SPOILER GDT: CANADA v USA MEN'S SEMIFINAL

Eleven

Patrick Kane was the one player I can confidently say wanted this. I saw a lot of effort out of 88 tonight. Kessel seemed to try to push it once in a while, but he could've been better.

A lot of the game came down to poor simple decisions. You'd see a US forward gain the zone and have a wide open drop pass to the point, but they would dump it in and chase instead leading to more Canadian possession.

anyone else expect this? we started being talked about like we were the favorites or something after the Russia game- when really we got outplayed through most of it and were lucky to win. I am not surprised we lost t Canada while generating no offense because tat's the kind of team we looked like against the only other really good team we played.

sorry that was a bit rambling but I am supposed to be working!

Edited by blugold43

I blame Quick.

He's just not a big time goalie. The game came down to him and they'd still be playing if he didn't let in a goal. After all, it is the goalie's job to stop the puck, and he didn't.

(How'd I do?)

I have to say that after watching that game, I'm severely disappointed in the US men. Really never showed a whole lot of effort. Seemed poorly coached and didn't want it. Canada didn't even look like they wanted it either, which is why talent won out in a 1-0 snoozer.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this assessment. They worked plenty hard--Canada just has the better roster. I think USA's lack of high end offensive players (relative to Canada, anyway) really showed up against Canada's D.

This also furthers my belief that Bylsma is disgustingly overrated. I wouldn't want him to coach any of my teams. Having watched A LOT of Penguins hockey (I live in an area where that's all you get on TV when I'm not at Bonas), they consistently put up weak efforts where they either lose in OT/SO or win based purely on the fact that sometimes talent is too much to overcome. They rarely win on effort alone.

I have no idea why some people think he's a great--I don't even mean acceptable, but great--coach.

I think Dudacek deserves some credit here -- the story of the game IMHO was that Canada's D was better for most of the game -- and all of the 3rd period -- than USA's offense.

And I'll say something else: hockey has a problem. There isn't enough scoring. The coaches have realized that the way to defend against post-lockout offenses is to clog the slot and block shots before they get to the goalies. It's true throughout the NHL and it's been true in this Olympic tournament (when one of the good teams plays another one -- has anyone scored more than 2 goals?).

They're going to need to come up with some kind of 3-second rule or something, because there is a real problem when games like today's, featuring 45 of the best 75 players in the world, aren't entertaining (and I completely disagree with the view that USA wasn't trying hard enough).

I think Dudacek deserves some credit here -- the story of the game IMHO was that Canada's D was better for most of the game -- and all of the 3rd period -- than USA's offense.

And I'll say something else: hockey has a problem. There isn't enough scoring. The coaches have realized that the way to defend against post-lockout offenses is to clog the slot and block shots before they get to the goalies. It's true throughout the NHL and it's been true in this Olympic tournament (when one of the good teams plays another one -- has anyone scored more than 2 goals?).

They're going to need to come up with some kind of 3-second rule or something, because there is a real problem when games like today's, featuring 45 of the best 75 players in the world, aren't entertaining (and I completely disagree with the view that USA wasn't trying hard enough).

I agree, it's been gradually getting worse since the last lockout. Something needs to be done because it's not going to get any better. Cutting 1/16" from the goaltenders pads isn't going to do it.

Let's hope Enroth can bring home a gold.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Well, put Miller in for the meaningless bronze game and let's just get this Sabres season over already.....

Screw that. Leave Miller on the bench thank you. I'd rather not see him play and get injured going for a Bronze medal and killing any trade.

Schopp and Bulldog are spending an awful lot of time talking about this right now; their solution is to go back to '05-'06 interference and holding calls. I don't mind it.

Screw that. Leave Miller on the bench thank you. I'd rather not see him play and get injured going for a Bronze medal and killing any trade.

It's Jimmy Howard time.

Fine by me.

I agree leave Miller on the bench. I'm sure he's pissed he's not playing but quick is a better goalie. He just didn't get any support. Kane created some chances as did Kessel but not much from anyone else. If I'm St. Louis I trade for Miller I think he would be a big upgrade in net.

Schopp and Bulldog are spending an awful lot of time talking about this right now; their solution is to go back to '05-'06 interference and holding calls. I don't mind it.

I don't believe that is a sustainable solution. The rules didn't change after 2006-07. Instead, little-by-little, the old-school refs let players get away with stuff that they called consistently right out of the lockout. Any solution has to be more conspicuously out of the refs' hands.

Edited by carpandean

I don't believe that is a sustainable solution. The rules didn't change after 2006-07. Instead, little-by-little, the old-school refs let players get away with stuff that they called consistently right out of the lockout. Any solution has to be more conspicuously out of the refs' hands.

Just tell them to enforce the rules as written or find another job. It shouldn't be that hard. The league has tacitly (at least) accepted the new old style of play.

BTW, now Schopp and Bulldog are discussing freeman's idea about shot blocking.

I still say the problem isn't the scoring per se, it's the pace. Sure, if you have a high-paced game you're probably going to have more scoring, but the scoring is just a symptom of the problem. For example, I think you could reasonably expect scoring to increase some if you made it illegal to leave your feet to block a shot...but I don't think that inherently makes for a more entertaining game. But I really struggle to come up with a way to reliably open up the game because of what Carp said--so many proposed changes still rely oh the refs. I'd love to see some illegal defense rules put into place...but if the refs either don't recognize it as it's happening or let it slide, then it won't help.

Just tell them to enforce the rules as written or find another job. It shouldn't be that hard. The league has tacitly (at least) accepted the new old style of play.

BTW, now Schopp and Bulldog are discussing freeman's idea about shot blocking.

Although I think there is somewhat more holding/interference than there was in 2005-06 -- because there are somewhat fewer penalties called for those infractions -- I also think there is much, much less than there was pre-2005 lockout. More broadly, I don't think holding/interference is the problem. I think having 3-5 defenders in the slot blocking shots in the problem.

It may be a problem without a solution, because it's hard to see the NHL adopting something as radical as a 3-second rule or prohibition on shotblocking.

I know there are a lot of people here that don't like the NBA, and I have issues with the NBA too. There are far too many NBA regular-season games where everyone looks like they can't wait to get back to the hotel to get baked, play xbox and then father children with skanky groupies.

However, one fundamental facet of the NBA that the NHL could learn something from is this: although good defense is essential to win a title, good offense usually beats good defense. That is not true in the NHL. As a result, there are still far too many important games between good teams where not only is the score 2-1 or 2-0, there just aren't many scoring chances.

USA didn't control the puck much in the 2nd or 3rd periods. A lot of bouncing and off target passes. They looked a bit Sabres-esque.

I'm glad it didn't come down to Quick, who was absolutely fantastic today (except for that one play where he batted it away from his own player right in the crease).

Yesterday and today hurts. And it hurts a lot. ###### Canada.

And congratulations to all the Canadians here. :censored:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.