Ryan Callahan - person of interest

SarasotaSabre

We can't have Callahan, he knows how to pot the puck and we don't need scorers on this team for the tank next season in the race for McDavid :P

Did you see Enroth last night? We'll just lose 6-4 games next year rather than 2-1 games this year :P

I like Callahan, he's a local guy and he's always kicked our ass but he wants $42 mil, is 28 and injury prone.

These are two legitimate concerns. Price is no biggy in and of itself, but financially structuring your team around someone who is injury prone from playing on the edge can be a problem.

Given the chance, I'd pull the trigger on any reasonable deal that could land him. But I'd only expect a good 4 years out of that contract.

Edited by X. Benedict

yeah, he would be a good addition. I still think he lives in Greece in the offseason.

Well, he might have. I think he moved to Mendon recently. There was a sign on the side of a local restaurant "The Cottage" that said "Welcome NY Ranger Captain, Ryan Callahan, and family to Mendon." I couldn't figure any event going on in the area so I assumed he might have moved his family there.

Wonder if his kids go to public school? (does he have kids?) They'd be in the same district as mine.

Well, he might have. I think he moved to Mendon recently. There was a sign on the side of a local restaurant "The Cottage" that said "Welcome NY Ranger Captain, Ryan Callahan, and family to Mendon." I couldn't figure any event going on in the area so I assumed he might have moved his family there.

Wonder if his kids go to public school? (does he have kids?) They'd be in the same district as mine.

Interesting. I was at the Cottage for this dandy.

Quality local pub.

#neverforget #intagibles #5for5 #sabres #slug #rangers #captain

i'm all for taking a run at our local captain america, but this is not an unfair point (so, a fair point?).

as i understand it, a team acquiring callahan now would, insofar as a new deal goes, get the benefit of the lag time between that team's offseason beginning and the start of the UFA period -- nothing more. as noted, players and/or picks may be a lot to pay for that right.

a contending team should pay that price for the value callahan can provide this season and in the playoffs, but i'm not sure a bottom-dweller should pay a similar price for an exclusive (albeit limited in time) right to negotiate a new deal.

This is where I am as well. Unless Callahan agrees to an extension as part of the trade, I would not part with any real assets to get him here now. But I would make him a huge offer in free agency.

Bartlett is his agent. Maybe they were just having lunch there.

(from Monday)

Callahan's agent, Stephen Bartlett of the Sports Consulting Group based in Pittsford, New York, said he and the Rangers have had "ongoing discussions in the hopes that we can get something done," and that while there have been some "detours" at points, he remains "optimistic."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/rangers-talk-extension-zuccarello-callahan-article-1.1593003#ixzz2roHGDfdE

These are two legitimate concerns. Price is no biggy in and of itself, but financially structuring your team around someone who is injury prone from playing on the edge can be a problem.

Given the chance, I'd pull the trigger on any reasonable deal that could land him. But I'd only expect a good 4 years out of that contract.

If he really is a fan of buffalo he'll take 5.5 mill, wich isn't to bad seeing some are willing to pay Steve Ott 4 mill.

Hell 6 mill for 6 years even looks like a steal with the cap ceiling going up each year.

Edited by Heimdall

This is where I am as well. Unless Callahan agrees to an extension as part of the trade, I would not part with any real assets to get him here now. But I would make him a huge offer in free agency.

this is my question, i guess: can we re-sign him to an in-season extension as part of the consideration for the trade? something made me think not.

X's point about the guy's being an injury risk is well-taken. even so, i don't think he'd be looked to as a cornerstone piece for our long-term future (that's for the #1 or #2 pick overall in 2015 to assume, with any luck); he'd be more like the culture-setting ambassador for the nearer-term.

Interesting. I was at the Cottage for this dandy.

Quality local pub.

#neverforget #intagibles #5for5 #sabres #slug #rangers #captain

Bartlett is his agent. Maybe they were just having lunch there.

(from Monday)

Callahan's agent, Stephen Bartlett of the Sports Consulting Group based in Pittsford, New York, said he and the Rangers have had "ongoing discussions in the hopes that we can get something done," and that while there have been some "detours" at points, he remains "optimistic."

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...3#ixzz2roHGDfdE

Interesting. Although I wouldn't think they would put the (& Family) part on the sign if it was just him in town. I should have asked them when I was there. Oh well, I will be back there again soon. I saw it on a Saturday morning while driving to Auburn for a hockey tournament. I don't recall it being there Sunday night when I ate there for dinner (this was a week ago).

While I like Callahan a lot and would he happy with him on the team, I think giving up significant assets to acquire his rights followed by overpaying him would just be a poor series of decisions. Really good player, but a franchise player he is not.

Who is available this summer who is worth a lot of money?

Did you see Enroth last night? We'll just lose 6-4 games next year rather than 2-1 games this year :P

Honestly, that would still feel way better.

I think the smart thing to do would be to wait and see if Callahan hits UFA. Trading for him just wastes assets (unless he comes cheap and will sign here).

Thank you.

Interesting. Although I wouldn't think they would put the (& Family) part on the sign if it was just him in town. I should have asked them when I was there. Oh well, I will be back there again soon. I saw it on a Saturday morning while driving to Auburn for a hockey tournament. I don't recall it being there Sunday night when I ate there for dinner (this was a week ago).

I reached out to the grapevine, good source says he did in fact just build a very large home in Mendon. Sugar Packets used to make that commute for game nights.

I agree, don't give up any players. Sign as UFA. Then mix in either or both Giontas, Dustin Brown, Orpik, who else, Kennedy for 4th line? All WNY team. Would be so awesome.

I reached out to the grapevine, good source says he did in fact just build a very large home in Mendon. Sugar Packets used to make that commute for game nights.

I agree, don't give up any players. Sign as UFA. Then mix in either or both Giontas, Dustin Brown, Orpik, who else, Kennedy for 4th line? All WNY team. Would be so awesome.

Heck, include Girardi in the deal too, he is only from Welland which is less then 30 minutes from the arena if the bridge is clear

(Also IIRC, he is just finishing up building a nice big place on the Niagara Parkway in Niagara Falls, close to the Niagara Falls/Fort Erie Town Line)

Ellis is from Welland too, Konopka is from NOTL which is part of Niagara, they could have gone after Clutterbuck from Welland last offseason, Bissonette in Phoenix and built a really tough/physical bottom 6 all from the Niagara Area. John Scott wasn't born in Niagara, but he played Minor Hockey in Thorold. Nathan Horton is from welland also with Paille. Lots of Options for "local" guys

Heck, include Girardi in the deal too, he is only from Welland which is less then 30 minutes from the arena if the bridge is clear

(Also IIRC, he is just finishing up building a nice big place on the Niagara Parkway in Niagara Falls, close to the Niagara Falls/Fort Erie Town Line)

Ellis is from Welland too, Konopka is from NOTL which is part of Niagara, they could have gone after Clutterbuck from Welland last offseason, Bissonette in Phoenix and built a really tough/physical bottom 6 all from the Niagara Area. John Scott wasn't born in Niagara, but he played Minor Hockey in Thorold. Nathan Horton is from welland also with Paille. Lots of Options for "local" guys

Nice. Do we count allow the Canadians as home town? 4th line galore here. I wish the Amerks would do more of it. They usually carry 1 guy, 3 or 4 would be better, and help fill seats.

Nice. Do we count allow the Canadians as home town? 4th line galore here. I wish the Amerks would do more of it. They usually carry 1 guy, 3 or 4 would be better, and help fill seats.

Why not, use to be when I was a kid in Buffalo, Toronto was kinda of a Suburb, when Quebec went thru all its separation anxiety, Toronto became CA's banking center and grew exponentially while Buffalo has fallen on hard times for a variety of reasons, so the roles have switched a bit. That being said folks across the river feel closer to Buff than a lot of areas, so yes make sure Buffalo feels like a regional deal, better for everyone.

The only irritating about the border is now we need passports, really.... still sticks in my craw.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.