Mr Ryan Miller....

spndnchz

If it means anything, I would NEVER give Miller for Fleury straight up, much less throw something else into the deal. Something substantial would have to come back to make that deal worth it.

Exactly what I said...he was trying to throw in Letang, but did not realize Buffalo does not need defense.

Something like Miller, Moulson, Pysyk and a 1st...for MAF and Letang...needless to say, I p*ssed my pants laughing.

That is one crazy picture.

I lurk on a few league-wide boards, I guess different ones than what you must read, and my experience is the opposite. Same goes for hockey writers whom I read.

Like I said, it is crazy, but that IS a lot of talk I saw out there...on twitter, NHL.com, HF boards, etc.

But, again...they do not know him or watch him, like we do...or like the writers/experts/analysts/professionals do.

I think fans rarely are thrilled with the idea of rentals, at least the valuation of them leading up to the deadline.

No doubt, but with such good teams who have great depth...is it not worth losing a couple replaceable pieces for a chance at a cup?

On a sidenote...WGR just mentioned something interesting that caught my attention...

What if Ryan Miller's "8 teams" consist of the likes of Washington, Minnesota, St. Louis, etc...the only teams who would want him? Then what? (I know it is extremely unlikely, but Rob Ray brought it up and it is certainly worth discussing...if it hasn't been already?)

Soon, I hope. There were three entities sucking the life out of Sabre Nation, dividing us, frustrating us… Lindy, Darcy and The Core. We are oh so close to being rid of all of them and officially starting anew in 2014.

Kind of. The core is gone. Torn apart. With one piece left, but this team is 100% different. We're no longer trying to get rid of the core. At this point it's just moving miller because he likely doesn't want to stick around and we can get value for him.

As I said earler, you have missed many of my posts. I have made mention of Miller's consistency, in fact I have praised his consistency several times over the course of my time here on this forum. He is withut a doubt one of the most consistent goaltenders in the league. My issue is with the fact that many give him elite status. Miller is far from elite.

FWIW, Miller's currently at .926% for the season and .916% NHL career. Lundqvist is at .914% and .920% (#3 all time) respectively with very similar numbers for shots. I consider Henrik pretty-f'n-elite. That being said, the lifetime leaders that are ahead of Miller (he's #12) are all still playing, other than Hasek at #1 (.9223).

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/save_pct_career.html

So, I don't think Miller is elite. I don't think many people here say that; I think people that say Miller is elite are not paying that much attention. He's also not something you just toss away because there's a ton of guys better around though.

FWIW, Miller's currently at .926% for the season and .916% NHL career. Lundqvist is at .914% and .920% (#3 all time) respectively with very similar numbers for shots. I consider Henrik pretty-f'n-elite. That being said, the lifetime leaders that are ahead of Miller (he's #12) are all still playing, other than Hasek at #1 (.9223).

http://www.hockey-re...pct_career.html

So, I don't think Miller is elite. I don't think many people here say that; I think people that say Miller is elite are not paying that much attention. He's also not something you just toss away because there's a ton of guys better around though.

I agree, Miller is a valuable asset. Here is how I see it. Quality of goaltenders have tightened up significantly over the last 10-15 years. Save percentages are closer than ever. Not to mention the fact that teams have focused more on a style of play that will get pucks in the net simply by deflections, lucky bounces and rebounds. Hard shots, fancy plays and skilled set ups are not as big a part of the game as it once was. Goaltenders are just like everybody else in that they go on hot and cold streaks. No matter how good you are, it's part of sports. It's no secret that having a good goaltender is important in having a successful year. Over the course of 82 games those hot and cold streaks will even themselves out. Based on all of this, an average team with an average goaltender can go deep in the playoffs if the goaltender gets on a hot streak. On the other side, a quality team with an elite goaltender isn't going to get out of the first round if he gets cold.

With that said, I have always been a fan of having two goaltenders share the duties and the coach rides the hot goaltender. Is that realistic? No. No goaltender that thinks he is worthy of being #1 will accept playing 40 games. I would love nothing better than to have Miller and Enroth share duties with the hot goaltender getting the playing time. Alas, that will never happen. I have a problem with taking a chance on signing Miller to a long term contract to finish his career here with the impression he will be the go-to guy for the next five years. I've seen him at times seem disinterested in playing for BFLO when things get tough. I do think he is a pretty good goaltender, but I don't see him as being elite enough to spend any significant time to try and convince him to be the #1 guy for the next five years and sign a contract. If the Sabres are looking to move forward, they need to give the impression that the #1 spot is up for grabs.

I agree, Miller is a valuable asset. Here is how I see it. Quality of goaltenders have tightened up significantly over the last 10-15 years. Save percentages are closer than ever. Not to mention the fact that teams have focused more on a style of play that will get pucks in the net simply by deflections, lucky bounces and rebounds. Hard shots, fancy plays and skilled set ups are not as big a part of the game as it once was. Goaltenders are just like everybody else in that they go on hot and cold streaks. No matter how good you are, it's part of sports. It's no secret that having a good goaltender is important in having a successful year. Over the course of 82 games those hot and cold streaks will even themselves out. Based on all of this, an average team with an average goaltender can go deep in the playoffs if the goaltender gets on a hot streak. On the other side, a quality team with an elite goaltender isn't going to get out of the first round if he gets cold.

With that said, I have always been a fan of having two goaltenders share the duties and the coach rides the hot goaltender. Is that realistic? No. No goaltender that thinks he is worthy of being #1 will accept playing 40 games. I would love nothing better than to have Miller and Enroth share duties with the hot goaltender getting the playing time. Alas, that will never happen. I have a problem with taking a chance on signing Miller to a long term contract to finish his career here with the impression he will be the go-to guy for the next five years. I've seen him at times seem disinterested in playing for BFLO when things get tough. I do think he is a pretty good goaltender, but I don't see him as being elite enough to spend any significant time to try and convince him to be the #1 guy for the next five years and sign a contract. If the Sabres are looking to move forward, they need to give the impression that the #1 spot is up for grabs.

you can use what ever term you want, be it elite, good, above average, dope, jiggy, tractors nutzsac. But the bottom line is there is only a hand full of goalies that you can make a good case for having instead of Miller, and that is not easy to replace.

I will agree that the difference between average goaltending and great goaltending is as close as I ever remember it. wither or not that is because they are so well trained or because the high end of the curve has dropped I don't know

How many of you Miller fanboys think he is a HOFer? I mean, only the "elite" make it there, right? If he is truly elite he should be a slam dunk HOFer, right? I don't see it but that is my opinion.

Only rectangles are squares. So if he is a rectangle he has to be a square, right?

Only people with two legs are nhl goalies. So if someone has two legs, they have to be an nhl goalie, right?

Only enroth gives up 4+goals a night. So if someone gives up 4+ goals, they have to be an enroth, right?

you can use what ever term you want, be it elite, good, above average, dope, jiggy, tractors nutzsac. But the bottom line is there is only a hand full of goalies that you can make a good case for having instead of Miller, and that is not easy to replace.

I will agree that the difference between average goaltending and great goaltending is as close as I ever remember it. wither or not that is because they are so well trained or because the high end of the curve has dropped I don't know

Very good analysis and I agree. Especially the part about tractors nutzsac.

I'm getting fatigued.

The funny thing about the one million posts about Miller is that it all comes down to:

"Hey Ryan, do you want to re-sign here."

"No, not really."

"....OK."

There's really nothing to debate. If he doesn't want to finish his next few years in Buffalo, that's all that matters.

The funny thing about the one million posts about Miller is that it all comes down to:

"Hey Ryan, do you want to re-sign here."

"No, not really."

"....OK."

There's really nothing to debate. If he doesn't want to finish his next few years in Buffalo, that's all that matters.

Mhm. I think this conversation has already happened. Anything less than "yes, I'd like to be here so get ahold of my agent so I can sign" means he HAS to go. Even if he says "I think I'd like to be here" you have to move him. Anything less than 100% means goodbye.

One of my co-workers also works for the Sabres....he was told at the game last night by another Sabres employee that there will be a Press Conference today. Supposedly Miller related. Quite a few people were talking about this...... Can anyone confirm this? Chz?

can't find even a whisper about it anywhere online

Edited by Warriorspikes51

One of my co-workers also works for the Sabres....he was told at the game last night by another Sabres employee that there will be a Press Conference today. Supposedly Miller related. Quite a few people were talking about this...... Can anyone confirm this? Chz?

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Scary_Roller_Coaster.jpg

<stabs pens into both eyes>

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

F5

F5

F5

Is there a market for Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller?

McKenzie: It's not a hot market and it's not a cold market. It's lukewarm at best. There is some interest in Ryan Miller. The Minnesota Wild haven't made an offer, but they're waiting to see what happens with Josh Harding's health situation. The St. Louis Blues might have some lukewarm interest. Right now, as far as Ryan Miller goes, I wouldn't say it's frontburner, but they're trying to trade him.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=442424

I still think most teams, especially contenders, aren't interested in disrupting their goaltender chemistry for a rental this late in the season. The only way we're getting good return is if a goalie gets hurt or he agrees to go to a bubble team.

If you're St. Louis, yes, but if you're *just* a playoff team, why wouldn't you add a star goalie that can take over games. There are a bunch of teams that could add Miller right now and it would mean (1) they definitely make the playoffs and (2) it makes them a pretty scary team to play in the playoffs.

Washington, Philadelphia, Toronto, Minnesota, Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville. Taking a chance on Miller would be worth it for all these teams.

If you're St. Louis, yes, but if you're *just* a playoff team, why wouldn't you add a star goalie that can take over games. There are a bunch of teams that could add Miller right now and it would mean (1) they definitely make the playoffs and (2) it makes them a pretty scary team to play in the playoffs.

Washington, Philadelphia, Toronto, Minnesota, Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville. Taking a chance on Miller would be worth it for all these teams.

I just don't see it happening. I've mentioned before that I think most teams would prefer to go with what they've got. A "Better the devil you know than the devil you don't" kinda thing.

I just don't see it happening. I've mentioned before that I think most teams would prefer to go with what they've got. A "Better the devil you know than the devil you don't" kinda thing.

If that's true, it torpedoes the "but the whole league thinks he's elite" argument. Because there's never been an elite player that teams didn't want to acquire.

All it takes is one team that wants to take a shot. And seriously why wouldn't Philly offer up their 1st round pick? Why wouldn't Washington? If you're a GM, think about what making a playoff run (or, God forbid, winning your conference or the Stanley Cup) does for your career.

If that's true, it torpedoes the "but the whole league thinks he's elite" argument. Because there's never been an elite player that teams didn't want to acquire.

All it takes is one team that wants to take a shot. And seriously why wouldn't Philly offer up their 1st round pick? Why wouldn't Washington? If you're a GM, think about what making a playoff run (or, God forbid, winning your conference or the Stanley Cup) does for your career.

That's what is so interesting about this situation. You'd think that there would be teams banging down the door for him, but because he's a goalie I think there is some hesitation. And not due to who he is, but simply that he's a goalie. Plugging a new goalie into the net halfway through a season who hasn't played his way in to that spot is kinda...bad juju.

I still think it comes down to injuries. He either goes to Philly "because it's Philly", or Minnesota because they don't trust Harding to be healthy for the playoffs and don't want Kuemper to have to carry the load. I don't think he goes to St. Louis. Or Washington.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.