Winter Classic -- GDT

wjag

commenting more what I believe to be so. Kessel as Leaf a bad guy, as U.S Olympic team player he becomes a good guy at least for this Olympic tournament. In light of the many posts alluding to Kessel being called every sort of nasty name imaginables I am pointing the inconsistency .

nice to see you... interesting Burnside article on how U.S team chosen, causing some fuss

I haven't had a chance to check those articles about how the team was assembled. Hopefully I can check them out this weekend.

Happy New Year to you. :beer:

commenting more what I believe to be so. Kessel as Leaf a bad guy, as U.S Olympic team player he becomes a good guy at least for this Olympic tournament. In light of the many posts alluding to Kessel being called every sort of nasty name imaginables I am pointing the inconsistency .

nice to see you... interesting Burnside article on how U.S team chosen, causing some fuss

Can I root for Kessel to score then immediately get checked face first into the crossbar or end boards?

what do you mean, score gold medal winning goal, then get squashed and be of no use to Leafs.?

Meh even if he leaves unscathed, I'd like to see him roll around on the ice ala Brad Richards. This involves personal satisfaction for me, no harm to the leafs.

wonder how many as youth played the game outdoors. For me indoor arena'swere for NHL teams , Jr A, very few indoor arena's existed, recreation centers were then outdoor facilities. Can remember playing games well below zero, snow flying, the conditions just part of the game. Can remember late in winter early spring playing as the ice melted and at times having to push through water even. We seldom got a ride to rink but carried our bag , stick and skates walking along to rink, happy to arrive and get a cup of hot chocolate just to hold onto and warm our hands. These days few outdoor rinks exist, this due to changing weather patterns and city budgets perhaps. Loved the days of youth skating outside to rock and roll, playing the game as long as weather would allow, it then seemed a privilege something to look forward to each year hoping weather would co-operate and allow a long season, it a sign of change of season as the hockey boards put up on the ball fields , when they taken down , knowing ball season soon to follow.

wonder how many as youth played the game outdoors. For me indoor arena'swere for NHL teams , Jr A, very few indoor arena's existed, recreation centers were then outdoor facilities. Can remember playing games well below zero, snow flying, the conditions just part of the game. Can remember late in winter early spring playing as the ice melted and at times having to push through water even. We seldom got a ride to rink but carried our bag , stick and skates walking along to rink, happy to arrive and get a cup of hot chocolate just to hold onto and warm our hands. These days few outdoor rinks exist, this due to changing weather patterns and city budgets perhaps. Loved the days of youth skating outside to rock and roll, playing the game as long as weather would allow, it then seemed a privilege something to look forward to each year hoping weather would co-operate and allow a long season, it a sign of change of season as the hockey boards put up on the ball fields , when they taken down , knowing ball season soon to follow.

Outdoor rinks for me were purely recreational. Had one at the park in my back yard. The whole neighborhood would come and play as soon as it was cold enough to have ice. All our real games were in rinks though. I'd imagine I'm quite a bit younger than you so we didn't play on ponds in games that counted. We did play in Salmon River however and their rink was a freaking cage. Nothing sucks more than getting checked into a chain linked fence by big ole farm boys.

We played organized hockey indoors, but every winter when the village DPW raised the green flag to indicate the ice was safe to skate on, we'd play 7 days a week on the creek. The DPW would plow 2 hockey rinks, a figure skating area, and a general skating area (the creek was proabably large enough to be called a river).

The school sat across the street from the creek. Upon dismissal, we would run home after school, grabbing skates, gloves and a stick, and run back toward the school hoping to God that somebody remembered to bring a puck!

Outdoors, on that creek. that was where I fell in love with the game.

I grew up in Hamburg. Every winter they would make the ice rink on Pleasant Ave. I'm guessing that tradition is long gone now. I literally lived a stones throw from the rink. It was free skating every day and there was lots of pickup hockey. I don't remember anyone ever being really good though.

Dad made a rink in the backyard a few times. Other than that, closest to outdoor rinks was garage door enclosed rinks like Fireman's Park in Depew.

We lived in N.T., which is basically a drained wetland (isn't every town in WNY). We never had to flood the back yard and it would freeze often. While skating outside is a way of life for us, does the average NHLer really skate outdoors all that much? Seems like most of their time on the ice would have been spent indoors at 1:30 am for that cheap icetime.

As a kid we played organized hockey at the rink but played shinny on Scout, Antler or Star lakes. Loved the feeling of playing outdoors sometimes playing late into the night under the light of the moon and the headlights of vehicles filled with girlfriends or parents keeping warm on shore. Miss the heck out of those days.

As a kid we played organized hockey at the rink but played shinny on Scout, Antler or Star lakes. Loved the feeling of playing outdoors sometimes playing late into the night under the light of the moon and the headlights of vehicles filled with girlfriends or parents keeping warm on shore. Miss the heck out of those days.

Playing at night is the best hockey there is.

Archived