DoPS: Senators' Cowen suspended 2 Games

26CornerBlitz

Senators' Cowen to have hearing Wednesday

Ottawa Senators defenseman Jared Cowen will have a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety Wednesday for a hit on Buffalo Sabres center Zemgus Girgensons Tuesday night at First Niagara Center.

At 18:02 of the third period, Cowen came across the ice to hit Girgensons as he entered the Ottawa zone. No penalty was called on the play. Girgensons remained in the game.

The following grounds are being considered for supplemental discipline: illegal check to the head. However, the Department of Player Safety retains the right to make adjustments to the infraction upon review.

Buffalo won the game, 2-1, in a shootout.

@SunDoniB

Cowen gets 2 game suspension for hit on Sabres rookie Zemgus Girgensons. That's what you get for being so tall, Cowen #sens

@SunDoniB

Cowen gets 2 game suspension for hit on Sabres rookie Zemgus Girgensons. That's what you get for being so tall, Cowen #sens

DoPS Video: Jared Cowen Suspended 2 Games

NEW YORK -- Ottawa Senators defenseman Jared Cowen has been suspended for two games, without pay, for an illegal check to the head of Buffalo Sabres forward Zemgus Girgensons during NHL Game No. 458 in Buffalo on Tuesday, Dec. 10, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 18:03 of the third period. No penalty was assessed to Cowen on the play.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, Cowen will forfeit $31,794.88. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

@SunDoniB

DoPS Video: Jared Cowen Suspended 2 Games

Interestingly, the guy that hit Girgensons in the AHL last year, Panik, has a phone hearing coming up too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwAM8ymdohI

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl

Suspended Cowen on Girgensons: "Obviously he was OK because he came after me and wanted to do something. I guess he was just faking it."

This is what is wrong with how the NHL discipline office deals out things. It is based off of if you injured someone and the players know it. Cowen should keep his mouth shut but that quote tells me a lot of about him. This suspension doesn't phase him at all and he thinks he got it because Girgs faked being injured. So hits to the head are okay as long as ppl don't get injured right? right? That is what Shenanigans has basically said.

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl

Suspended Cowen on Girgensons: "Obviously he was OK because he came after me and wanted to do something. I guess he was just faking it."

This is what is wrong with how the NHL discipline office deals out things. It is based off of if you injured someone and the players know it. Cowen should keep his mouth shut but that quote tells me a lot of about him. This suspension doesn't phase him at all and he thinks he got it because Girgs faked being injured. So hits to the head are okay as long as ppl don't get injured right? right? That is what Shenanigans has basically said.

Doesn't the fact that he suspended him say the exact opposite?

Doesn't the fact that he suspended him say the exact opposite?

No. Shenanigans has said in his videos things such as "the play did not result in an injury therefore" meaning that being injured is directly taken into his consideration. This in turn leads to that remark by Cowen which I would bet other players think. Hey the guy didn't get injured so he was faking why suspend me at all? Am I reading btw the lines a bit? Perhaps, but that is what that quote says to me. The fallout is the focus not the actual incident.

No. Shenanigans has said in his videos things such as "the play did not result in an injury therefore" meaning that being injured is directly taken into his consideration. This in turn leads to that remark by Cowen which I would bet other players think. Hey the guy didn't get injured so he was faking why suspend me at all? Am I reading btw the lines a bit? Perhaps, but that is what that quote says to me. The fallout is the focus not the actual incident.

Cowen's quote doesn't show me anything other than Cowen is an idiot. Girgs got right back up and skated. He didn't fake anything and that had nothing to do with his punishment. The hit was worth 2 games (IMO), and that is what Shanny gave him.

Cowen's quote doesn't show me anything other than Cowen is an idiot. Girgs got right back up and skated. He didn't fake anything and that had nothing to do with his punishment. The hit was worth 2 games (IMO), and that is what Shanny gave him.

Again I am not arguing Shenanigans suspension. I am arguing he has allowed the idea that a hit is only dangerous/illegal if someone is injured to pervade the minds of some players in the league.

I see your point, and it's a good one. The amount of hurt caused by the hit equals the severity of the action. The action itself is the basis of the punishment, but the punishment is mainly based on two factors 1) the amount of hurt and 2) the rep of the offender (let's ignore the player's status[star or other] within the league).

So, players are being sent the message that a hit like that will receive what amounts to a slap on the wrist, which, to players who are inclined to hit like that, means little. See Patrick Kaleta, Shawn Thornton.

If the idea is to get rid of that type of play, then the message HAS to be that REGARDLESS OF THE HURT IMPOSED the punishment is this or that.

Ottawa Sens defenceman Jared Cowen wouldn't change anything about his hit

Jared Cowen sure did learn his lesson from being suspended two games for an “illegal hit” and having to fork over almost $32,000 of his pay as a result.

Yup, he learned that hockey is a game of inches…but then, he already knew that before, too.

As for how he reacts the next time a Zemgus Girgensons is looking to pick up a suicide pass through the middle of the ice, well, Cowen says he’s not about to just step out of the way and give up the scoring chance.

“I wouldn’t do anything differently,” the Senators defenceman explained after an on-ice workout Thursday morning at Canadian Tire Centre. “If I don’t make that hit, I don’t play and I don’t play well. It’s just that maybe I move a little bit to the left, an inch or two, and maybe that’s the difference. That’s all that it was.”

Again I am not arguing Shenanigans suspension. I am arguing he has allowed the idea that a hit is only dangerous/illegal if someone is injured to pervade the minds of some players in the league.

I see your point, and it's a good one. The amount of hurt caused by the hit equals the severity of the action. The action itself is the basis of the punishment, but the punishment is mainly based on two factors 1) the amount of hurt and 2) the rep of the offender (let's ignore the player's status[star or other] within the league).

So, players are being sent the message that a hit like that will receive what amounts to a slap on the wrist, which, to players who are inclined to hit like that, means little. See Patrick Kaleta, Shawn Thornton.

If the idea is to get rid of that type of play, then the message HAS to be that REGARDLESS OF THE HURT IMPOSED the punishment is this or that.

I agree with all of this. I guess I'm just happy with baby steps. Three years ago that probably isn't even a suspension.

Archived