Why should we be upset? They are succeeding

matter2003

The Sabres stated goal is to get as high a draft pick as possible. It has been said going back to last season and pretty often, which is surprising for any pro sports team to admit. They are succeeding beyond their wildest dreams right now.

Why are we upset? This is what they want...suck so bad we get the #1 pick in the draft.

Long term it might be for the best if they end up like Pittsburgh/Chicago and not like Edmonton...

Short term it sucks, but its not like they didn't let everyone know what they were trying to do. I think people are upset because they didn't expect it to be this bad, but the Sabres are probably thrilled

The Sabres stated goal is to get as high a draft pick as possible. It has been said going back to last season and pretty often, which is surprising for any pro sports team to admit. They are succeeding beyond their wildest dreams right now.

Why are we upset? This is what they want...suck so bad we get the #1 pick in the draft.

Long term it might be for the best if they end up like Pittsburgh/Chicago and not like Edmonton...

Short term it sucks, but its not like they didn't let everyone know what they were trying to do. I think people are upset because they didn't expect it to be this bad, but the Sabres are probably thrilled

No they didn't.

And, for the record, I'm not upset that the team sucks. I just want to make sure we have the right decision makers in place for when the team doesn't suck. And I don't really want Darcy's hands 100% all over the future. I'd like a new GM to at least make a few decisions on the rebuild (such as trading Vanek, Miller, Ott).

I am upset. It doesn't need to be like this. AND we could end up like the Oil anyways!

Long run, No Darcy, No Ron and we end up like Pitt or Chi I'm good with. Lets say we are going the way of Chi right now. Would you trust Darcy to tear it down after winning a cup and then rebuild on the fly to not only stay competitive but also win another?

Ya, me neither.

For the record, in order to go through a rebuild there are one of two conditions:

1. You are an aging team who has had multiple studs retire after a long period of success but are now on the decline.

2. You really ###### up and now have to tear it all apart and start over again.

For some weird reason number one doesn't sound like Buffalo.

And what are the odds of getting the top pick for finishing dead last?

Below are the percentage odds of last year's bottom 14 teams on winning the draft lottery. I imagine 25% would be a "flat rate" # and thus apply to this year as well, but I can't say for sure whether or not the percentages change based on how far behind they are (ie if 20-60-2 last place Sabres have 25% shot, do 10-70-2 sabres have 30% shot?) Anyway safe to say it is about a 1-in-4 or better. And at worst you pick #2.

1st - 25.0% - Florida Panthers

2nd - 18.8% - Colorado Avalanche

3rd - 14.2% - Tampa Bay Lightning

4th - 10.7% - Nashville Predators

5th - 8.1% - Carolina Hurricanes

6th - 6.2% - Calgary Flames

7th - 4.7% - Edmonton Oilers

8th - 3.6% - Buffalo Sabres

9th - 2.7% - New Jersey Devils

10th - 2.1% - Dallas Stars

11th - 1.5% - Philadelphia Flyers

12th - 1.1% - Phoenix Coyotes

13th - 0.8% - Winnipeg Jets

14th - 0.5% - Columbus Blue Jackets

Below are the percentage odds of last year's bottom 14 teams on winning the draft lottery. I imagine 25% would be a "flat rate" # and thus apply to this year as well, but I can't say for sure whether or not the percentages change based on how far behind they are (ie if 20-60-2 last place Sabres have 25% shot, do 10-70-2 sabres have 30% shot?) Anyway safe to say it is about a 1-in-4 or better. And at worst you pick #2.

1st - 25.0% - Florida Panthers

2nd - 18.8% - Colorado Avalanche

3rd - 14.2% - Tampa Bay Lightning

4th - 10.7% - Nashville Predators

5th - 8.1% - Carolina Hurricanes

6th - 6.2% - Calgary Flames

7th - 4.7% - Edmonton Oilers

8th - 3.6% - Buffalo Sabres

9th - 2.7% - New Jersey Devils

10th - 2.1% - Dallas Stars

11th - 1.5% - Philadelphia Flyers

12th - 1.1% - Phoenix Coyotes

13th - 0.8% - Winnipeg Jets

14th - 0.5% - Columbus Blue Jackets

This year also has the weird case of how they decide to handle New Jersey's pick since it will be forfeited. I'm assuming they will include that pick in the lottery anyway so that the percentages "remain the same" and New Jersey faces the chance of the additional shame of winning the lottery and then handing back the pick.

So this year will be an odd case. The team who finishes worst will actually wind up with higher odds than normal. They'll have their 25% chance plus whatever odds New Jersey has. If the Devils win that worst team gets bumped to #2. But since New Jersey loses theirs, #2 becomes #1.

This years draft isnt the one that matters as much as 2015. They got to be the worst by then. Its the sidney crosby blueprint. Bottom out in the year it matters. Connor McDavid is the key generational talent like crosby. Top 3 this year is good. Once we ditch vanek and miller we should super suck next year. Im on board if we can get that shot a him. You build championship teams around players like him. IMO we've been putting together the supporting cast but he the crown jewel that will make it go.

Drafting high means little, if the wrong people are doing the drafting.

To put it another way - A team with Regier at the helm will never succeed in anything but being a poorly run hockey team.

This year also has the weird case of how they decide to handle New Jersey's pick since it will be forfeited. I'm assuming they will include that pick in the lottery anyway so that the percentages "remain the same" and New Jersey faces the chance of the additional shame of winning the lottery and then handing back the pick.

So this year will be an odd case. The team who finishes worst will actually wind up with higher odds than normal. They'll have their 25% chance plus whatever odds New Jersey has. If the Devils win that worst team gets bumped to #2. But since New Jersey loses theirs, #2 becomes #1.

We won't know if New Jersey wins the lottery, though. Unless "sources" report it. Because we don't see the ping pong balls. Those happen in a hidden place, and then they place the teams in order in the envelopes. So it'll likely start with the 13th pick. Anybody who finished behind NJ will just move up one spot.

But yes, that would technically mean that JUST the worst team or the first team behind NJ will have a slightly better shot at winning the lottery.

We won't know if New Jersey wins the lottery, though. Unless "sources" report it. Because we don't see the ping pong balls. Those happen in a hidden place, and then they place the teams in order in the envelopes. So it'll likely start with the 13th pick. Anybody who finished behind NJ will just move up one spot.

But yes, that would technically mean that JUST the worst team or the first team behind NJ will have a slightly better shot at winning the lottery.

They only make one drawing. Which ever team is drawn gets #1. Slots 2-14 remain in the order of the standings. So there is no mystery to the system. Whoever picks first won the one and only draw.

They only make one drawing. Which ever team is drawn gets #1. Slots 2-14 remain in the order of the standings. So there is no mystery to the system. Whoever picks first won the one and only draw.

I know. Hence why I said ONLY the worst team or the worst team behind NJ get a better chance because if NJ wins the lottery then that team still get the first pick. Only one team can move up and a team can only move down one slot. Unlike the NBA where the top 3 picks are actually in a lottery.

Why should we be upset? Because it didn't have to come to this. We have a GM that doesn't know his ars from a hole in the ground that got us into this predicament and is now in charge of getting us out? He's duped three different owners into thinking that he knows how to get this done. This "suffering" that Ted Black was talking about again on WGR could take another 10 years with Darcy at the helm. And then it will be another excuse if (when) it backfires!!!

I know. Hence why I said ONLY the worst team or the worst team behind NJ get a better chance because if NJ wins the lottery then that team still get the first pick. Only one team can move up and a team can only move down one slot. Unlike the NBA where the top 3 picks are actually in a lottery.

I'm not sure why you said we wouldn't know if New Jersey won. If you go with what I suggested originally that they include the Devils in the lottery, you'll know if they do win it. The league would announce them as having the #1 pick. That's my whole premise. New Jersey needs to be included in the lottery (if they do miss the playoffs) and everyone needs to be informed if they do win it. By doing that, there's an extra sting from the punishment for the Kovalchuk contract.

So here is a quick summary of what I said earlier. If New Jersey is included in the lottery (and they should be), the team that finishes worst in the league has a 25% chance of getting the #1 pick plus whatever odds New Jersey had of winning the lottery.

Archived