Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I am just spitballing but I am guessing Reinhart is that guy. I am fine with that.

I wouldn't draw any conclusion about who they want since none of the top prospects have seen any action in a couple of months. Too hard to tell with the top four being so closely rated.

I still think their guy is Draisaitl.

Devine sounded pretty confident that the Sabres will get the guy that they want at 2. If you accept the idea of Ekblad and Reinhart as the likeliest targets at #1, one could surmise that they covet either Draisaitl or Bennett. But who knows? dunno.gif

Devine sounded pretty confident that the Sabres will get the guy that they want at 2. If you accept the idea of Ekblad and Reinhart as the likeliest targets at #1, one could surmise that they covet either Draisaitl or Bennett. But who knows? dunno.gif

Whoever they pick will be their guy. I always enjoy that part.

TOP PROSPECTS READY FOR DRAFT DAY

The 1st round of the 2014 NHL Draft will be held Friday night in Philadelphia

By Chris Ryndak - Sabres.com

Gabriel Landeskog. Drew Doughty. Evgeni Malkin. Eric Staal. Jason Spezza.

Each of those players was selected with the second-overall pick of the NHL Draft in recent years and each has made an impact in the National Hockey League.

The Buffalo Sabres hold the No. 2 pick in this year’s draft and will likely be looking to take the prospect they believe will develop into the best player –no matter his position.

NHL Central Scouting’s final rankings included three centers, a defenseman and a wing. With the defenseman – Aaron Ekbladlikely going first overall, the Sabres would then be picking from the top forwards still available.

The four forwards at the top of Central Scouting’s rankings include centers Sam Bennett, Sam Reinhart and Leon Draisaitl and left wing Michael Dal Colle.

The players know it’s possible that the Florida Panthers, who currently hold this year’s top pick, could take any of them.

“I think there’s a top five this year that anyone can go first overall. It all depends on what that team needs,” Ekblad said. “If I were to be that person, I know I would work as hard as I possibly can.

“That’s the way I sell it [to teams]. I just want to work as hard as I possibly can and show that I can play in the NHL next year. That’s my goal and I’m determined to do that.”

I wouldn't draw any conclusion about who they want since none of the top prospects have seen any action in a couple of months. Too hard to tell with the top four being so closely rated.

That's true I just think Devine's comment about Reinhart being the smartest player in 10-15 years kinda hints at his thoughts. That said Murray likes Draisaitl's size. 57 hours and 10minutes and we should know.

That is true. Haven't heard any whispers of teams trying to move up to one for either of those guys.

Well, I don't want to see them (the Sabres) say it this year or next, but it would be refreshing to see a (non-Sabres) GM interviewed right after stepping off the podium saying 'we like what Frenchy McDraftpick will do for our squad, but we really wanted that kid that went right before him, he's got Lemieux's size and Wayne's instincts - there's no way he'll miss and we missed him by 1; but still we think Frenchy'll be a keeper.'

Edited by Taro T

Well, I don't want to see them (the Sabres) say it this year or next, but it would be refreshing to see a (non-Sabres) GM interviewed right after stepping off the podium saying 'we like what Frenchy McDraftpick will do for our squad, but we really wanted that kid that went right before him, he's got Lemieux's size and Wayne's instincts - there's no way he'll miss and we missed him by 1; but still we think Frenchy'll be a keeper.'

Frenchy SUCKS!

That's like telling your guests at the wedding reception that you love another's bride more than the one you just wed.

Lol.

Edited by X. Benedict

That's like telling your guests at the wedding reception that you love another's bride more than the one you just wed.

I never said I thought it would happen ever, just that it would be a nice change of pace. Besides, didn't you notice the cans on that 3rd bridesmaid?

I never said I thought it would happen ever, just that it would be a nice change of pace. Besides, didn't you notice the cans on that 3rd bridesmaid?

Yea :wub:

post-2716-0-41210300-1403708972_thumb.jpg

She had a nice personality.

Maybe but that's harder to stare at.

and then Chz showed up and slapped me.

I'm happy to have another person aboard the "Stafford isn't as bad as he's made out to be" bus. Prepare to be ridiculed!

He looked better last year than he has in years past. I can't tell if it's because he was trying harder, or if the players around him just sucked so bad that it made him look better. Either way, trade his dead ass for the first 5th round pick someone throws our way. He is a perfect example of what you DONT want around your developing players of the future.

Still laughing. This made my morning. :lol:

Frenchy SUCKS!
That's like telling your guests at the wedding reception that you love another's bride more than the one you just wed. Lol.
She had a nice personality.

Oh, bravo. Especially that piece.

p.s. A Google Image search for bridesmaid boobs delivers this:

wed.jpg

Huzzah!

That's true I just think Devine's comment about Reinhart being the smartest player in 10-15 years kinda hints at his thoughts. That said Murray likes Draisaitl's size. 57 hours and 10minutes and we should know.

Devine and Murray have both talk ad nauseum about Reinhart, Ekblad and Draisaitl. Given the fact that GM's and scouts rarely tip their hands in regards to player selection, I find this most interesting.

Devine and Murray have both talk ad nauseum about Reinhart, Ekblad and Draisaitl. Given the fact that GM's and scouts rarely tip their hands in regards to player selection, I find this most interesting.

I agree, this raises an eyebrow for me. They've been oddly quiet about Bennett.

Speaking of Bennett, those even strength scoring numbers Potato posted raised my interest level in him. Seriously impressive stuff from the youngest of the group in only his second junior season.

Speaking of Bennett, those even strength scoring numbers Potato posted raised my interest level in him. Seriously impressive stuff from the youngest of the group in only his second junior season.

We are going to get a good player. More than which player, or who is better, the player they choose will indicate what kind of team they want to build.

Agreed. And seeing reinhart being pretty far down on that list while being older and in his THIRD season already is a little concerning for me. I think it's been said that reinhart has the best linemates as well, which adds to it. I honestly have no idea who I want. I've switched from Bennett to reinhart to draisaitl in a month, and think I may go back to Bennett lol. Bennett>draisaitl>reinhart for me. If draisaitl improves his skating I think he becomes the best player from this draft. I just hope ekblad goes first so I know for sure Murray got the forward he believes is best.

We are going to get a good player. More than which player, or who is better, the player they choose will indicate what kind of team they want to build.

Or it may just indicate who they thought was the best player.

But I like this idea. And if it's true, then I think I want Bennett.

Up front? Fast. Relentless. Edgy. Attacking.

At the back? Big. Skilled. Nasty.

That's the identity of the Imlach team, and the identity I've always thought best fit the Sabres.

Compher, Baptiste, Girgensons and Bennett?

Risto, Zadorov, McCabe?

I think I might enjoy that.

Edited by dudacek

After reading the article on Ho-Sang and watching his highlight video, I'm all for taking him with our first pick in the second round if he is still there, and wouldn't even mind trading up for him. Kid has sick, sick skill and is explosive. If we came out of the draft with draisaitl/reinhart and ho-sang I'd be thrilled. We can afford to take a chance on this guy with all the picks and prospects we have.

I want a guy who can put an opponent on their heels with his skating. I know getting bigger is a focus, but we've already addressed that with a few trades and we can't take big guys with skating issues every pick, or guys that project to be solid 3rd to 4th liners. I'm all for taking a guy that has top end skill but definitely a risk especially this year.

Or it may just indicate who they thought was the best player.

But I like this idea. And if it's true, then I think I want Bennett.

Up front? Fast. Relentless. Edgy. Attacking.

At the back? Big. Skilled. Nasty.

That's the identity of the Imlach team, and the identity I've always thought best fit the Sabres.

Compher, Baptiste, Girgensons and Bennett?

Risto, Zadorov, McCabe?

I think I might enjoy that.

It could be that Murray wants to add speed to the forward group. If so, then Bennett is our guy. If he wants a big, strong, physical type of player then it'll be Draisaitl. I think the reason they talk about "hockey smarts" re: Reinhart is he isn't terribly fast nor terribly big. Physically he doesn't stand out... so "hockey smarts" is a nice way to talk about what he brings to the table. All 3 can score, so I'm sure any of the three are instant upgrades over our current craptastic forwards.

Agreed. And seeing reinhart being pretty far down on that list while being older and in his THIRD season already is a little concerning for me. I think it's been said that reinhart has the best linemates as well, which adds to it. I honestly have no idea who I want. I've switched from Bennett to reinhart to draisaitl in a month, and think I may go back to Bennett lol. Bennett>draisaitl>reinhart for me. If draisaitl improves his skating I think he becomes the best player from this draft. I just hope ekblad goes first so I know for sure Murray got the forward he believes is best.

I'm in your boat. I switched from Bennett to Reinhart only to go back to Bennett again. At least 1 of them, maybe both, will be there at 2 so I feel good about that pick.

My interest is really focused in on where TM will trade back in to the 1st round at, if he can. I'd like to see what type of player they have on their minds for that one, to me, that should go a long way in telling my self anyways, where they feel they needed to shore up some depth or who they felt could be an impact player.

As long as Ekblad goes #1, it's Bennett. If someone trades up and takes Reinhart #1 then all bets are off and they may try and trade down. Calgary at #4 would be the obvious choice, but there would be a tough decision to make. At that point maybe you go down to 8-12, pick up a potential young top 6 forward, another 2nd to use to move back up, and you take Barbashev.

I think we need to petition Sam Bennett to wear #97 so we can pull out those old Bills jerseys and save $150.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.