Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

And look who's right below him :flirt:

Are you the Ehlers fan around here? (or are you referring to someone else you like...or Grigorenko? lol, there's quite a few between.)

lets not start comparing the two just yet please :P

Exactly. Many still consider him an "elite" prospect. He is still really young. He wouldn't be the first late-bloomer. Just imagine being 18-19 years old and having the hopes of an entire NHL franchise and fanbase, placed upon YOUR shoulders...it wouldn't be easy.

And I think we all agree he should have never left Quebec, until this coming season (2014-15), at which point he would ply his trade and prove his worth for 2 years in the AHL...that could have helped A LOT. That's the route Toffoli and Pearson took, as well as many others, and it worked for them.

I just think it would be extremely stupid to get rid of such a once highly rated and regarded prospect...that's NOT what Marek Zagrapan was.

But that is not even the point...the point is...look at the first 16 already drafted...they are all pretty much "stars" in the league...and this is saying Sam Reinhart will fit in with those players. Neither Zagrapan or Girgorenko is within that group of players, nor were they ever. (They weren't drafted that high, either.)

If we did the impossible I would want Reinhart and Draisaitl.

We're definitely on the same page...grab those two and get me Demko, and I'll call that an amazing draft..."perfect," to be honest.

I think they will be far and away the two best players from this draft, with a doubt in my mind. :thumbsup: (And again, I love Tuch and Virtanen, lol.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

Kimelman and Hoffner go with Reinhart, Morreale goes with Draisaitl.

On a few of the local favorites:

Two have Demko going 18 to Minny, one at 22 to Pittsburgh.

Two have Barbashev going 28 to TB, one has him at 29 to LA (maybe we don't have to move much if we want him).

Edited by Tankalicious

Also saw that he's talked with 12 teams, and has one serious offer but will wait until the draft.

I'd guess that team is the canucks who will most likely take reinhart -- that would suck

Not that I think this will happen, but any scenario where Ekblad is available to us, I am in favor of. Could you imagine drafting 2 players that were granted exceptional player status in back to back years?

Uggh, glad some of you aren't in charge, i'd go nuts.

Trading myers for #3 should be enough alone, and even then we are overpaying.

In terms of real value it's not enough and it's DEFINITELY not overpaying. You're crazy if you think that.

However, I would hesitate to do it just because I think we need a guy of Myers age and experience. He's still very young but has the experience that allows him to teach.

It is overpaying if he becomes a franchise #1 - 2 D

But he hasn't and isn't now... If whoever we draft at 3 becomes a star then Edmonton overpayed. Trades have two teams trying to gauge value of two separate sides of a deal. It's not "Myers could become really good so he's more valuable than anything."

This draft is an exception where Myers for three is close, but it still falls short, in my opinion. And I wouldn't make a trade of Myers plus.

Next year Myers likely wouldn't be nearly close to what it'd take to get 3. Or last year. Last year you might get 3 with 8 and Myers.

Edited by Tankalicious

Are you the Ehlers fan around here? (or are you referring to someone else you like...or Grigorenko? lol, there's quite a few between.)

Exactly. Many still consider him an "elite" prospect. He is still really young. He wouldn't be the first late-bloomer. Just imagine being 18-19 years old and having the hopes of an entire NHL franchise and fanbase, placed upon YOUR shoulders...it wouldn't be easy.

And I think we all agree he should have never left Quebec, until this coming season (2014-15), at which point he would ply his trade and prove his worth for 2 years in the AHL...that could have helped A LOT. That's the route Toffoli and Pearson took, as well as many others, and it worked for them.

I just think it would be extremely stupid to get rid of such a once highly rated and regarded prospect...that's NOT what Marek Zagrapan was.

But that is not even the point...the point is...look at the first 16 already drafted...they are all pretty much "stars" in the league...and this is saying Sam Reinhart will fit in with those players. Neither Zagrapan or Girgorenko is within that group of players, nor were they ever. (They weren't drafted that high, either.)

first 16 what drafted when?

A dance partner?

@Russostrib: #mnwild GM Chuck Fletcher said depending on what's there at 18, he's not adverse to move back and pick up multiple picks

I think Buffalo is a partner, I'm just not sure how. Probably by taking on money.

My Guess: Buffalo takes #18 plus Backstrom and Brodziak and their money (about 9 Million)

Minnesota takes on #31 and #49 and poops easier for months and months.

Uggh, glad some of you aren't in charge, i'd go nuts.

Trading myers for #3 should be enough alone, and even then we are overpaying.

Thank you, this is exactly what I think.

Number three pick is not a guarantee to get an nhl player, even less to get a player better than Myers in the long run.

@ X. Definitely possible.

Brodziak fits Tim's better bottom six mantra and I guess we'd have to buy out Backstrom.

31 and 49 is almost fair for 18 on its own though.

Hope we can keep 31 and give them 39 instead.

Edited by dudacek

Number three pick is not a guarantee to get an nhl player, even less to get a player better than Myers in the long run.

A #3 overall will almost certainly be an NHL player. As for being better than Myers, right now Myers is an inconsistent 2nd pairing Dman, that's not exactly irreplaceable. Yes his ceiling is very high, but I'd be lying if I said my faith hasn't been shaken the past two seasons. The #3 overall pick is likely to be equivalent to what Myers currently is, and very possibly can be better. If Edmonton was willing to deal #3 for Myers, I'm pretty sure I'd run up to the podium--this isn't like trading him for a current 3rd line player who has no upside.

No guarantee. But the polygon equation that is Tyler Myers is one where all the sides aren't quite equal to the perimeter.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.