Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Yeah all those scouts that put him in top 3 in 2012 couldn't have been that wrong :P

But the fact we got him in the big club to soon has ruined his value, its not even worth trading him.

Best thing we can do is hold onto to him and hope he develops into a #2 center.

Sam Reinhart may not be big or fast or strong, but he is fast enough and he is going to play at 6'1 195.

Those empty spaces you see him and his line mates cashing in on are usually created by exceptionally smart hockey plays.

He is not scared and his hands are amazing.

He's no Gretzky, but I'm playing that card to emphasize how elite hockey smarts can trump the size/speed stuff.

He has elements of that in his game. He goes to the right spots and moves the puck to the right spots.

The other guys do other things better than he does, but skilled, smart, playmaking centre is our biggest need.

Reinhart is the guy.

Yup.

I really hope Florida picks Ekblad.

Then there might be a huge change that we can make a trade with the Oilers that see us end up with the 2nd and 3rd overall pick. Question is what Defender would Edmonton want from Buffalo. They would also get a 2nd pick round as they dont pick until the 4th round. Buffalo has 3 2nd rounders so HELLO EDMONTON! But what Defender would Edmonton want? Pysyk? Ristolainen? Zadorov? McCabe?

Edited by Peppy22

I really hope Florida picks Ekblad.

Then there might be a huge change that we can make a trade with the Oilers that see us end up with the 2nd and 3rd overall pick. Question is what Defender would Edmonton want from Buffalo. They would also get a 2nd pick round as they dont pick until the 4th round. Buffalo has 3 2nd rounders so HELLO EDMONTON! But what Defender would Edmonton want? Pysyk? Ristolainen? Zadorov? McCabe?

It would be Ehrhoff or Myers. Why would Edmomton want to wait 3 years for any of those D (Pysyk isn't worth a 1st rounder let alone top 3 pick) to be ready?

I'd imagine Myers/Erhoff, two second rounders and st.louis' first round from 2015 or a good prospect/younger player like larsson. I'd do that. Question is, who would you guys take at 3rd overall?

I think the St. Louis 2015 would help.

But traditionally teams hate trading out of these spots. It would be expensive.

NHL Draft Week: Top Prospects And Advanced Stats

An amazing thing happened at extraskater.com this past weekend, they added CHL stats! This is amazing because it gives non-NHL scouts the ability to delve a little deeper into the young men who will be joining NHL organizations this upcoming weekend, and helps us to better evaluate the impact these young men could potentially have.

So with the first round of the draft upcoming this Friday, let’s take a look again at the likely top five of the draft using these statistics.

Why wouldn't the trade go the other way? If Sabres don't want one of those guys, why not pick up a freebie high pick to let Edmonton draft 2nd, and still pick the guy they want?

What freebie high pick? If you trade from #2 to #3 what is Edmonton giving you? If I am reading the draft correctly Edmonton has the 3rd overall pick and then nothing until pick #91. Can someone verify that?

What freebie high pick? If you trade from #2 to #3 what is Edmonton giving you? If I am reading the draft correctly Edmonton has the 3rd overall pick and then nothing until pick #91. Can someone verify that?

Seems like a draft trade made in heaven honestly. We have everything they want, and enough to spare

2nd rounder in 2015 would also work to swap spots

Who could the Sabres target in late-1st round trade?

Buffalo Sabres’ general manager Tim Murray has repeatedly said the Sabres would like to trade back into the first round. They have currency to deal with three second-round picks to work with and oodles of cap space.

In the past, the late first round has been a place to grab underrated prospects – some of which have turned into the league’s stars.

Here are some of the best picks in the first between the 20th and 30th selection between 2003-2008

2003: Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Corey Perry

2004: Travis Zajac, Cory Schneider, Mike Green

2005: Tuukka Rask, T.J. Oshie

2006: Claude Giroux, Semyon Varlamov

2007: Max Pacioretty, David Perron

2008: Tyler Ennis, John Carlson

Some promising current NHL prospects and young players have been picked there as well. Marcus Johansson, Mark Pysyk, Charlie Coyle, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Brock Nelson, Oli Maatta, Tanner Pearson and so on…

So it is worth it to move up and increase the chances of grabbing a quality-to-star player late in the first.

Which teams could they trade with?

I don't think it does.

Neither do I. I don't think people realize what it takes to get a top pick like that. Teams aren't going to trade out of the first round for a player and a pick. We don't have a single player who has the value to get us from 31 to 3. It would take a group of guys. Far too much, in my opinion. We'll be lookin at the teens.

I'd imagine Myers/Erhoff, two second rounders and st.louis' first round from 2015 or a good prospect/younger player like larsson. I'd do that. Question is, who would you guys take at 3rd overall?

If we did the impossible I would want Reinhart and Draisaitl.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.