Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I'm not married to the notion of drafting any one player. And I'm even trying to brace myself for them going defense with Ekblad.

A few of these guys look great and I don't want to be disappointed if they don't take the one guy I decide I really like.

This is pretty much the only thing that would upset me. Unless a trade happened soon thereafter involving him, Risto, or Zadorov for some young top-line forward, I'd be livid. Maybe it's my fan bias but I really don't wanna lose Risot or Z, so that would be just disappointing all around IMO

I'm not married to the notion of drafting any one player. And I'm even trying to brace myself for them going defense with Ekblad.

A few of these guys look great and I don't want to be disappointed if they don't take the one guy I decide I really like.

yep thats where I'm at. and If we somehow come out of the draft with any two of Bennett/Ekblad/Reinhart…oh shoot i just woke up. Bennett/Reinhart would be a dream

Didn't the Penguins rebuild start with Fleury at #1 overall in 2003? They took him over two centers #2 Eric Staal and #3 Nathan Horton.

That is true. Who would you rather have now? Fleury, Staal, or Horton? Drafting a goalie #1 overall in this current hockey era is foolish. I know that isn't what you were advocating but just mentioning it.

Does anyone else think Darcy might have known how forward-heavy these next two drafts were, prompting him to draft two d-men over the likes of Nichushkin and Lazar? I'm not saying Risto and Zadorov were poor choices, but he does seem to have set us up very nicely for the upcoming drafts

We know DR didn't have a plan. Risto was taken because Devine wanted him. The draft Blue N Gold video pretty much proved that they targeted Risto and got him. Zadorov also was a Devine pick as he flat out asked if DR wanted to be harder to play against and said Zadorov would give you that. Risto was a target, Zadorov fell into their laps.

IIRC Bennett has consistently been labeled the best skater in this draft.

Jake Virtanen is the best skater in this draft.

Sam Bennett has been mentioned for being quiet. Sam Rienhart has been mentioned for being a leader. These are all things to consider.

March 30th Recap late 1st / Early 2nd Round Prospects

NCAA

Thatcher Demko G Boston College 32SHA 3GAA in BC win over Mass-Lowell.

BC advances to Frozen Four

OHL

Eric Cornel C Peterborough 1G 0A +1+/-

Spencer Watson RW Kingston 0G 1A

Peterborough defeats Kingston 5-4 and force game 7

WHL

Brycen Martin D Swift Current 0G A in 2-1 loss to Medicine Hat

Broncos lose series 4 games to 2.

Martin’s season is now over. Final play off stats 6GP 0G 2A

Give me Reinhart. I haven't wavered from it and there's absolutely no reason for me to. He's the best player in this draft. Take him.

Either way, I do see us taking a Sam that plays on a team who has a giant K on their jerseys either way if we get the first pick.

I'm with you from what I seen of him he's a solid player who makes other's better!

well, why not both? if reinhart were there id take him over draisaitl with our 2nd pick

Reinhart and Draisaitl is my dream for the top of the first round. Though I would gladly suplement with Dal Colle, Bennett. (Potentially). I like Nylander/Ehlers more than Kapanen, but that's tailing towards 6-10.

Team fit: It is fair to say Buffalo GM Tim Murray is the NHL's version of HGTV's Nicole Curtis (though the physical similarities probably end with the glasses). Like his "Rehab Addict" counterpart, the rookie GM has set about to return the ramshackle mess that is the Sabres franchise to its former glory. Despite the fact that Murray earned rave reviews with the haul of future assets he brought back from the trade deadline, his real skill (and the reason he was given the job in the first place) is in the talent evaluation department. With the first overall pick, Buffalo will select Reinhart to bolster one of the weakest offensive attacks (1.82 goals per game) in the NHL modern era.

Pronman's take: Reinhart is the best pure passer in this draft class. His ability to dictate the tempo of a hockey game, in terms of increasing or decreasing pace and making plays at all those speeds, elevates his game to a distinct level. Reinhart can make all kinds of plays with the puck, and his elite hockey sense stands out regularly in terms of the passing lanes he sees.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10703367/2014-nhl-mock-draft-10-sam-reinhart-goes-first-overall

Custance had Reinhart to Buffalo at 1 overall and Dal Colle at 4 to NYI.

Any chance you have a link on that?

Edited by WildCard

Both Bennett and Reinhart are said to have great hockey senses. I hope we win the lottery or whomever does so picks Ekblad so we know which forward Tim Murray wanted.

Again the thing with Bennett is some say he has a higher ceiling but he is a quiet guy. Reinhart may have a lower ceiling but everyone calls him a leader.

I totally agree with you though. I want the exact guy team Murray thinks is best.

I would enjoy listening to that. A link from someone when WGR posts the audio would be much appreciated.

If I am still at a computer I will. I'd like to listen to it again.

"Jake McCabe is close to signing, that's good reporting... If it gets done he will more likely be here (Buffalo) then there (Rochester)" - Tim Murray

Edited by LGR4GM

If I am still at a computer I will. I'd like to listen to it again.

"Jake McCabe is close to signing, that's good reporting... If it gets done he will more likely be here (Buffalo) then there (Rochester)" - Tim Murray

We also have the new ISS Rankings for April:

http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-releases-april-ranking-for-2014-nhl-draft/

Not sure why we wouldn't get him to Rochester to help that team make the playoffs.

We also have the new ISS Future Considerations Rankings for April:

http://futureconside...a/top-rankings/

Also if Sam Reinhart had scored at his 6 game playoff rate during the regular season he would have had 57g, 136a in 68gp

Not sure why we wouldn't get him to Rochester to help that team make the playoffs.

I honestly am unsure, maybe someone gets demoted to Rochester (Ristolainen) to make room.

Edited by LGR4GM

We also have the new ISS Rankings for April:

http://futureconside...a/top-rankings/

Also if Sam Reinhart had scored at his 6 game playoff rate during the regular season he would have had 57g, 136a in 68gp

I honestly am unsure, maybe someone gets demoted to Rochester (Ristolainen) to make room.

We may be getting him to turn pro now with the promise of playing in the nhl now (see Ruwedel)

We may be getting him to turn pro now with the promise of playing in the nhl now (see Ruwedel)

I assume it is either your point or TM really wants to see Rochester make the playoffs and a guy like Risto gives them a better shot of getting in than McCabe does.

If I had to guess after listening to Murray's comments today, Sam Bennett and Leon Draisaitl are a smidge ahead of Reinhart and Dal Colle is the outside guy because he is a winger. If hey get NYI pick though I think Dal Colle would be the target.

I think McCabe comes to Buffalo to see how he measures up against NHL caliber players. Not a make or break moment but a chance to evaluate his progression and path. It also gives them the opportunity to send Risto down to lead a po push. Muy dos centavos.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.