Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

The isles are 4th worst right now…if they stay there the worst they pick is pick 5 in the draft. if thats the case I am okay with them giving us the pick this year. Out of reinhart, bennett, ekblad, dal colle, draisaitl, ehlers, id be happy with any of those guys at 5 or 6. If they do worse than that I am definitely hoping they give us the pick next year, but i think they draft this year if they are top 5

So the magic number right now is 5 points and if the Sabres lose tonight it drops to 6 points it drops to 4 points the Sabres need to give up or to guarantee last place. Another words if they 6-3 in the their last games they will still finish last. Tank on. Looks like the Ranger game I am going to on April 10th will be a gimme game for the Sabres, not sure about the Rangers, sounds like they are still playing for something.

Drunkard, on 28 March 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

I don't see Murray trading our pick or the Islanders' pick if they decide not to defer. Personally, I'm hoping we draft #1, select Reinhart, the Islanders don't defer and we're able to draft Dal Colle at 4 or 5. Those 2 along with our top pick in 2015 should go a long way to us finally having a solid top 6 in a few years.

I still prefer Draisaitl over Dal Colle, but one or the other would be a boon if the Isles decide to give up the pick this season. Dal Colle definitely has the size to help out. Either way you go between the one or the other you are getting a solid addition to a rebuild.

April 1st Islanders host the Panthers. A Panthers victory will bring the Islanders close to the fourth pick.

Final game of the year is the Sabres hosting the Islanders. It may be one of the most important games in Sabres history considering it may determine where the Islanders pick this year in the draft and may determine if they keep the pick or defer.

March 28th Recap late 1st / Early 2nd Round Prospects

OHL

Connor Chatham RW Plymouth, 1G 0A

Alex Peters D Plymouth 0G 0A -6+/- (yes this is correct)

Alex Nedeljkovic G Plymouth, 7GA 29SVS

Robert Fabbri C Guelph DNP – Injury

Storm win game 8-3 and take series 4 games to 1

Final Play off Stats:

Chatham 5GP 3G 0A -2+/-

Peters 5GP 0G 0A -6+/-

Nedeljkovic 5GP 20GA 190SVS 4.40GAA .905GAA

Eric Cornel C Peterborough 1G 0A +1+/-

Spencer Watson RW Kingston 1G 1A +2+/-

Petes win game 6-5 in OT and force game 6 trailing series 3-2

Brendan Lemieux LW Barrie 1G 2A +3+/- in 7-0 victory over Sudbury

Colts win series 4-1

Michael Bunting LW Sault Ste. Marie 3G 0A in 6-1 victory over Owen Sound.

Greyhounds win series 4-1

Edited by Crusader1969

April 1st Islanders host the Panthers. A Panthers victory will bring the Islanders close to the fourth pick.

Final game of the year is the Sabres hosting the Islanders. It may be one of the most important games in Sabres history considering it may determine where the Islanders pick this year in the draft and may determine if they keep the pick or defer.

I don't want to sound like a jerk with this but I would be shocked and I mean shocked if the Islanders let us use a top 5 pick. They are gonna use that pick and will most likely be alittle bit better than they are right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a move for some players in the offseason and most likely we will be using their pick next year which I think will fall from 8-14.

I don't want to sound like a jerk with this but I would be shocked and I mean shocked if the Islanders let us use a top 5 pick. They are gonna use that pick and will most likely be alittle bit better than they are right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a move for some players in the offseason and most likely we will be using their pick next year which I think will fall from 8-14.

I agree they would most likely give us a top 5 pick, but i did dont understand the assumption they are going to be better next year. They lost a top line winger (moulson/vanek) and have a lot of issues. (they are a really poorly ran team lol)

Edited by Numark

I don't want to sound like a jerk with this but I would be shocked and I mean shocked if the Islanders let us use a top 5 pick. The Islanders are gonna use that pick and will most likely be alittle bit better than they are right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a move for some players in the offseason and most likely we will be using their pick next year which I think will fall from 8-14.

I'm not sure why people keep saying the Islanders will be better next year.

They are real bad now, and it's not like they have a bunch of guys who underachieved this year, or who are in the system ready to break through.

Their goaltenders and defence corps are probably worst in the league.

It's not an attractive free agent destination and the free agent crop doesn't have that many impact players anyway.

And Garth Snow is the GM.

I think they are the Sabres' best competition for the basement.

That said, there is no way Snow — a guy barely hanging on to his job — gives the Sabres a top five pick.

Any decision to defer will have to come from higher up the command chain.

Edited by dudacek

I'm not sure why people keep saying the Islanders will be better next year.

They are real bad now, and it's not like they have a bunch of guys who underachieved this year, or who are in the system ready to break through.

Their goaltenders and defence corps are probably worst in the league.

It's not an attractive free agent destination and the free agent crop doesn't have that many impact players anyway.

And Garth Snow is the GM.

I think they are the Sabres' best competition for the basement.

That said, there is no way Snow — a guy barely hanging on to his job — gives the Sabres a top five pick.

Any decision to defer will have to come from higher up the command chain.

That is exactly why Snow isn't going to give us their top 5 pick. No GM is gonna let us pick when he has a full year to better his club that way he can at least work on making sure they get better. I just think he will do whatever he can to make sure the pick he gives us isn't a top 5 in either draft.

That is exactly why Snow isn't going to give us their top 5 pick. No GM is gonna let us pick when he has a full year to better his club that way he can at least work on making sure they get better. I just think he will do whatever he can to make sure the pick he gives us isn't a top 5 in either draft.

If Snow feels this may be his last kick at the can why would he give-up a #1(in 2015) he can use during the season in a trade that puts the Islanders into the playoffs and draft some kid in 2014 that won't likely play a game in an Islanders uniform before Snow loses his job.

Edited by deluca67

If Snow feels this may be his last kick at the can why he give-up a #1(in 2015) he can use during the season in a trade that puts the Islanders into the playoffs and draft some kid in 2014 that won't likely play a game in an Islanders uniform before Snow loses his job.

I think there is logic in both of the above statements and that is why no one can with any confidence figure out what the Islanders will do. Guess it will be a hurry up an wait deal and give us one more thing to discuss after such a crappy season up to the draft.... Yipee (sarcasm)

Would you rather have Kane or MacKinnon? If Reinhardt projects to Mac you don't trade him for kane, regardless of what he says. I would suspect this is posturing to see what multiple 2s or a two and the Blues one would garner.

Haven't been able to follow very closely, but are some of these so called draft / scout experts projecting Reinhardt as high as MacKinnon?

If so, I don't agree with that. MacKinnon is one step below Crosby, IMO. Most likely the Calder winner.

I would take E. Kane over Reinhardt, but not Kane over MacKinnon (no kidding, duh).

EDIT TO ADD:

EHLERS!!

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

March 29th Recap late 1st / Early 2nd Round Prospects

WHL

Travis Sanheim D Calgary 0G 0A in 5-3 to Kootenay

Hitmen lose series 4 games to 2

Sanheim final play-off stats 1G 1A +5+/-

Brycen Martin D Swift Current, 0G 0A -1+/- in 4-1 loss to Medicine Hat

Broncos trail series 3 games to 2

Edited by Crusader1969

Haven't been able to follow very closely, but are some of these so called draft / scout experts projecting Reinhardt as high as MacKinnon?

If so, I don't agree with that. MacKinnon is one step below Crosby, IMO. Most likely the Calder winner.

I would take E. Kane over Reinhardt, but not Kane over MacKinnon (no kidding, duh).

EDIT TO ADD:

EHLERS!!

Not quite accurate, they seem to say Reinhardt as characteristics like MacKinnon and could develop into a similar player. I disagree, not the same type, but I think they are comparing his vision and that he makes those around him better by being able to set them up. I don't think he is the same kind of skater, he is bigger though and uses his body more to shield the puck, but doesn't seem to have Mac's speed. Just my opinion of what I have seen...

Edited by Icehole

March 29th Recap late 1st / Early 2nd Round Prospects

NCAA

Thatcher Demko G Boston College 18SVS 2GA in BC’s win over Denver

BC advance to 2nd Round

USHL

Ryan Collins D USNTDP 0G 0A 2+/-

Jack Dougherty D USNTDP 0G 0A

Jack Glover D USNTDP 0G 0A -2+/-

Dylan Larkin LW USNTDP 1G 0A +1 +/-

Johnathan MacLeod D USNTDP DNP

U18 USNTDP 5-4 OT victory over Omaha

Joshua Jacobs D Indiana 0G 0A +1+/- in 3-2 loss to Dubuque

Nick Schmaltz C Green Bay 1G 1A in 4-1 victory over Team USA under-17

Edited by Crusader1969

So I am not sure if anyone has posted this video, but TSN's Craig Button has the Sabres drafting Bennett 1st and getting this year's pick from the Islanders and drafting Draisaitl in the fourth spot with Reinhart going 5th to Calgary. I gotta think if the Sabres have an opportunity to get Reinhart 4th they take him over Draisaitl, though who knows. My question is who has the bigger motor with all that skill.

Granted he assumed Buff would win the lottery and the current top 5 would draft accordingly.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

With the stories that Wang is shopping the team and the fact that they will move into a new arena next year do either of those things impact the decision to keep or defer the top pick this year? Will the potential new ownership group want to enter into their first year owning the team, trying to sell tickets to a new arena watching the Sabres own their 1st round pick which could possibly turn into a generational player like McDavid?

Edited by Bills12Sabres11

EDIT TO ADD:

EHLERS!!

Just a question, why take an excess forward when we need playmaking capable centers. I'm starting to see that Cody Hodgson is more likely suited as a RW. This team really doesn't have a true center at the moment. Unless Grigorenko turns it around.

Just a question, why take an excess forward when we need playmaking capable centers. I'm starting to see that Cody Hodgson is more likely suited as a RW. This team really doesn't have a true center at the moment. Unless Grigorenko turns it around.

This team needs players, they are not at the point to start filling specific needs. If the best player available in 2014 is a defenseman than they need to draft that defenseman. If it were a goalie, i'd say draft the goalie. The Sabres need players and they need a lot of them. The better the job Tim Murray does in maximizing assets they shorter the time frame this rebuild can take.

Edited by deluca67

This team needs players, they are not at the point to start filling specific needs. If the best player available in 2014 is a defenseman than they need to draft that defenseman. If it were a goalie, i'd say draft the goalie. The Sabres need players and they need a lot of them. The better the job Tim Murray does in maximizing assets they shorter the time frame this rebuild can take.

This is exactly the correct mentality. Best player available is who we need. If Murray thinks ekblad is above Reinhart, that's who we take

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.