Worst team in Franchise History

papazoid

Keep looking Saturday. My guess is at worst you can get in for $18. Lower level for $35.

In every game except the opener, you could get in for $12. Club seats $29 and lower $24 for majority.

If this gets disgustingly bad, I may pull off a Drane Campaign at the arena. I'd pay $20 a game in the clubs just for the train wreck.

I'm happy that you can get tickets on the cheap. But for a long time season ticket holder who pays the price no matter how the team does, it doesn't feel good to have you rub it in our face that we paid more.

Thank you

STH

You missed my point. I'm working under the assumption Regier is going to be here. That doesn't mean I want Regier to be here, it's just my judgment that he will be. Given that, would you rather toil around the bottom middle like we have since the co-caps left, or completely bottom out and have a significantly higher chance of drafting difference makers?

I think it's time for everyone to stop assuming Regier is going to be here, and go balls to the wall with the "Fire Darcy" chants, leave games early, don't show up, don't buy stuff, keep pounding GR phone lines, etc. This "tank and pray we get a couple elite players" plan is ridiculous. This team is freaking only $3 million under the cap as is, and can't do a dang thing. They incompetence is so much that we are left to hope for luck.

Fans didn't have patience 30 years ago to tank for 3 years with a competent person managing. Do you really think this city will tolerate "this plan" for 3 years in the ADHD/Twitter/Immediate Gratification environment we live in now...with a proven failure in charge? Other than the home opener...you could have gotten seats in the arena on the open market for $12 or less. People have been lamenting they can't give their tickets away to family/friends/coworkers. Last night the 3rd period seating Doppler was blue, with scattered humans. This is home game Game #5 into their plan. What is Game #20, #60.....#120 going to look like?

Either this team starts to put up some respectable play and at least passible results in a hurry, or the momentum behind this thing will be a true fan revolt. I've been praying for this for years....and it is MY only hope.

I have to believe Mr. Pegula does not take pleasure in looking like a fool, whether he has ultimate patience and stubbornness or not. There comes a breaking point for anyone. I hope he is there. There is still tons of promise long term if he can get some real hockey men in here. Great...we have 279 scouts.....maybe one of them will find the next Steve Nebraska on skates in the middle of Chile. It's sad, but for me the biggest entertainment has been to see how they can make this trainwreck even worse. It would be nice to actually believe in leadership and my team again. It's been a long time coming.....

To quote Mortal Combat..."Finish Him!"

I think it's time for everyone to stop assuming Regier is going to be here, and go balls to the wall with the "Fire Darcy" chants, leave games early, don't show up, don't buy stuff, keep pounding GR phone lines, etc. This "tank and pray we get a couple elite players" plan is ridiculous. This team is freaking only $3 million under the cap as is, and can't do a dang thing. They incompetence is so much that we are left to hope for luck.

Fans didn't have patience 30 years ago to tank for 3 years with a competent person managing. Do you really think this city will tolerate "this plan" for 3 years in the ADHD/Twitter/Immediate Gratification environment we live in now...with a proven failure in charge? Other than the home opener...you could have gotten seats in the arena on the open market for $12 or less. People have been lamenting they can't give their tickets away to family/friends/coworkers. Last night the 3rd period seating Doppler was blue, with scattered humans. This is home game Game #5 into their plan. What is Game #20, #60.....#120 going to look like?

Either this team starts to put up some respectable play and at least passible results in a hurry, or the momentum behind this thing will be a true fan revolt. I've been praying for this for years....and it is MY only hope.

I have to believe Mr. Pegula does not take pleasure in looking like a fool, whether he has ultimate patience and stubbornness or not. There comes a breaking point for anyone. I hope he is there. There is still tons of promise long term if he can get some real hockey men in here. Great...we have 279 scouts.....maybe one of them will find the next Steve Nebraska on skates in the middle of Chile. It's sad, but for me the biggest entertainment has been to see how they can make this trainwreck even worse. It would be nice to actually believe in leadership and my team again. It's been a long time coming.....

If the whole tank thing has to stop, then so does this nonsense. First of all, we're $4.5MM under the cap. Secondly, only 6 teams have more cap space, so it's not like we're still in the top 5 in payroll. So please, stop.

I'm happy that you can get tickets on the cheap. But for a long time season ticket holder who pays the price no matter how the team does, it doesn't feel good to have you rub it in our face that we paid more.

Thank you

STH

I'm just telling D4rk to keep looking.....he will get his price most likely.

I feel bad for you guys. You put out tons of money and want to be entertained and feel passion. I am not rubbing it in. I had however warned that eventually this would happen. I gave up my tickets years ago figuring it would be sooner rather than later. I also took tons of crap when I tried to explain that the market was buoyed by "artificial" demand of season ticket holders. That the actual demand of the community at whole was not there and could be seen by the ticket sales and promotions. Heck, even before the season I was questioning how in the hell they still had the season ticket numbers given the lack of single game sales.

Sorry people are taking lumps.

If the whole tank thing has to stop, then so does this nonsense. First of all, we're $4.5MM under the cap. Secondly, only 6 teams have more cap space, so it's not like we're still in the top 5 in payroll. So please, stop.

Bologna.....you are spending at 93% of the cap and this is the product.

If you are doing 60 in a 45, and other cars are doing 63....you are still speeding and barely getting passed.

This year is shot. They are so bad that "tanking" isn't necessary. My point in all of this is that ownership accepts it. All it does is give DR a free pass. My entire bitch with this entire situation is that DR brought us to this level. Being allowed to try to fix it is my problem. I think all of us would have an entire new level of enthusiasm if somebody else was put in charge.

I know this is redundant. Just listen to the fans once. We are demanding change. We don't deserve this. Tanking or no tanking.

In today's world of sports the word "tank" should never be in your vocabulary. If you have to "tank" you have been mismanaged. Period. To then have the same management oversee the post "tank" rebuild could only happen in Buffalo.

You're right in the sense that tank is probably a bad word which implies the organization is trying to lose on purpose. I don't think that is what is going on at all. However, if DR is going to oversee the rebuild and you have no faith in him to do it right, which I happen to agree with, then you should be in favor of the Sabres getting the highest possible draft pick (tanking) because that will give him less latitude to screw things up.

If you are doing 60 in a 45, and other cars are doing 63....you are still speeding and barely getting passed.

http://capgeek.com/

http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings/_/group/1

The teams below us in payroll are either only a point or two above us in the standings, or to the extent they are much higher in the standings, they have top draft picks leading the charge to respectability. Rant about something else.

Thank you

STH

I feel bad for you guys. You put out tons of money and want to be entertained and feel passion. I am not rubbing it in. I had however warned that eventually this would happen. I gave up my tickets years ago figuring it would be sooner rather than later. I also took tons of crap when I tried to explain that the market was buoyed by "artificial" demand of season ticket holders. That the actual demand of the community at whole was not there and could be seen by the ticket sales and promotions. Heck, even before the season I was questioning how in the hell they still had the season ticket numbers given the lack of single game sales.

Rubbing something in someone's face is, by nature, a gratuitous act. Ghost was giving d4rk some market guidance, as he indicated above.

I'm torn on how to feel about STH's. OTOH, there's nothing "noble" about being a committed, suffering STH for a team that stinks and a franchise that is deeply inept. The Sabres are a business that provides entertainment; if they stink, then the market should respond in kind. OTOH, the Sabres are arguably more than just a business -- they're a part of our civic identity, our personal identities, our community. So, supporting them through thick and thin is laudable.

I dunno. When the team is this bad, I feel like they need some tough love to get to where they need to be.

Nonsense? Not to me. I remain stunned by how close to the cap this team is. Maybe it's just a function of how low the cap is this year?

EDIT: Thanks for the link. Just about the entire league is hard up against the cap this year, it appears.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Rubbing something in someone's face is, by nature, a gratuitous act. Ghost was giving d4rk some market guidance, as he indicated above.

"I'm not rubbing it in your face. I was however was more astute than everyone and gave up my tickets because i knew exactly this would happen"

I'm not bitching about having seats btw.

"I'm not rubbing it in your face. I was however was more astute than everyone and gave up my tickets because i knew exactly this would happen"

I'm not bitching about having seats btw.

Chz....I wasn't astute and admitted so to X. a few weeks ago. I had season tickets from 1994-2007. I supported the team through a lot of bad years. The way the entire situation unfolded that summer was enough for me to feel I was being yanked around and I gave them up. There were still 5 seasons of brisk sales and a demand to watch this team afterwards. I lost out if my goal was to have a viable outlet for selling seats while maintaining my option on playoffs and seniority.

I figured it would have happened earlier. I was wrong. The bright side about this is that people are only committed to their seats 1 year at a time. I was wrong for 5 years. So in essence, you are way ahead of the game compared to me.

I only point out the market conditions so that maybe Mr. Pegula, and Mr. Black have a sense at how much fans are willing to tolerate. I said when they walked in here and decided to keep status quo....don't take the fans for granted. Look at the TRUE dynamics of what is driving the market. I ate more tickets than I care to remember over the years. Under almost any normal circumstances...I am with you 100%. I love the team that represents my city, I will go through thick or thin, and I appreciate the fans that pledge their support. What we have seen the past 17 years however is one of the biggest outlying cases of 1 or 2 people being in charge of a non-championship team in the HISTORY of professional sports. I have a high tolerance level for enduring pain for things I love. I reached my breaking point. Many others seem to be as well now.

There is nothing more I would like than to have full confidence in Mr. Pegula and the franchise to use their seeming unlimited resources and enthusiasm, to full efficiency.....or as close to it as possible. I love this city....I love it's people....I enjoy the game of hockey.....and when the light bulb finally goes on for him, I will be the first to forgive and throw my full support and positive energy behind this franchise.

I hope you can relate to where I am coming from. Please don't mix up my history of cantankerous playfulness on this site for a lack of passion or desire to love this team again. And I owe you and other ticket holders thanks....because if you didn't support this team over the past 6 seasons, we might not have an owner in position to bring us to excellence once again.

So what? He's here, and likely not going anywhere. So what would you rather do: keep picking in the 8-12 range, hope we get exceptionally lucky on a prospect and hope Regier can coherently assemble a team, which he hasn't done since the first lockout....or completely tank and get some impact players who can elevate the team around them, regardless of what else Regier does?

Well, you've assumed away a huge issue here. Edmonton is lousy with high draft picks. They still stink. Same goes for Florida. And the same went for Colorado UNTIL they overhauled their senior management (admitting that it's really too early to tell this year).

Preach it, brother! Testify!

I dunno. When the team is this bad, I feel like they need some tough love to get to where they need to be.

Me too.

Well, you've assumed away a huge issue here. Edmonton is lousy with high draft picks. They still stink. Same goes for Florida. And the same went for Colorado UNTIL they overhauled their senior management (admitting that it's really too early to tell this year).

I keep hearing that the Taylor Hall fella is starting to pan out. But, yeah - that team is still garbage.

This year is shot. They are so bad that "tanking" isn't necessary. My point in all of this is that ownership accepts it. All it does is give DR a free pass. My entire bitch with this entire situation is that DR brought us to this level. Being allowed to try to fix it is my problem. I think all of us would have an entire new level of enthusiasm if somebody else was put in charge.

I know this is redundant. Just listen to the fans once. We are demanding change. We don't deserve this. Tanking or no tanking.

Exactly!

I did say "can", not "will" :P

We've gone round and round about this before, but I've never claimed the high picks are a guarantee, just that it's the most likely way to acquire difference-makers, and we can all agree difference-makers are necessary to build a contender.

Let's look at this another way: Impact players aren't hitting free agency anymore (and Buffalo would be a tough sell right now regardless), most star contracts signed these days have some sort of NTC or NMC which greatly reduces the probability we can trade for them, and the chances of getting a difference-maker with one mid-1st round pick is exceedingly low (the chances that somebody picked 10-25 will turn out great is probably quite high...but the probability that YOUR pick is that great player is probably quite low). How exactly are we supposed to acquire difference makers outside of the draft, and how likely is it that it happens?

Let's look at this another way: Impact players aren't hitting free agency anymore (and Buffalo would be a tough sell right now regardless), most star contracts signed these days have some sort of NTC or NMC which greatly reduces the probability we can trade for them, and the chances of getting a difference-maker with one mid-1st round pick is exceedingly low (the chances that somebody picked 10-25 will turn out great is probably quite high...but the probability that YOUR pick is that great player is probably quite low). How exactly are we supposed to acquire difference makers outside of the draft, and how likely is it that it happens?

Excellent point, especially the bolded parts.

I did say "can", not "will" :P

We've gone round and round about this before, but I've never claimed the high picks are a guarantee, just that it's the most likely way to acquire difference-makers, and we can all agree difference-makers are necessary to build a contender.

Well, I agree that difference-makers at forward don't become available that often, but I think there are a couple of them that do make it to UFA or get traded each year -- e.g. Nash, Gaborik, Parise, Kovy, Kessel, James Neal, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter have all moved within the past few years.

Most importantly, I think if you have a good team that isn't a cup contender and lacks elite offensive talent, but still has good coaching, goaltending, defense, system, toughness, forechecking and backchecking, you can, if you GM it correctly, jump in opportunistically when those difference-makers become available and be attractive enough to those players that they will sign with you or waive NTCs. So you have a culture of winning that nourishes your homegrown talent and hopefully cultivates them into becoming really good players while at the same time attracting outside players.

Or you can ride the elevator into the basement like the Sabres are doing and hope for the very slim chance that a player you draft will be not only a great player but the kind of leader that inspires his teammates -- who have been marinating in a poop-stew of loserdom for their entire careers -- to raise their games. So if you get Toews (and you also get Kane and Keith and Seabrook), or if you get Crosby (and you also get Malkin and Staal) -- yes, it can work. But it hardly ever does.

Good post. It blows my mind that so many people seem to think that this is going to work. Let's suck ass for a few years and all will be well. Really?? If it was that easy every team would follow that model. Why for the love of God do so many of you think our next big star is always just a year or two away. Every freaking year it's someone different. Then when reality sits in we hang our hat on someone else. The flavor of the week right now is J.T. Compher. Really??? 95% of us have never seen this kid skate. Could be standing next to us in the grocery store and you would have no clue.

Stop living in a fantasy world. The reality is we are the worst team in the NHL. We are one of the worst teams in the AHL. All these damn prospects we talk about are no different than half the other teams in the league.

This management and ownership is an absolute joke and if you are one of the few on here that are buying into this crap then you are a damn fool!!

Ummmm maybe because we don't have many (any?) stars right now so rather than throw my hands in the air and say I'm never going to watch or support this team, you hope that there is someone around the corner. I have absolutely no say in the teams plans (nor do you) but as a fan of a hockey team that's the only hope I have right now. I can't change anything so rather than piss and moan day in and day out, I'm going to look to the future. I hope Darcy gets fired and a braintrust can come in here and turn things around but what can I talk about now that doesn't involve b*tching about how bad my hockey team is. If it's so bad and you don't enjoy it, don't watch.

Edited by Derrico

Can we go back to the end of last year and gauge what percentage of Sabres fans wanted to tank to get the best picks? Or does that not fit this week's narrative?

The salary cap point is completely irrelevant.

Nevermind on the cap thing. I see it's been addressed already.

To further your analogy, it's like the speed limit was dropped 20 MPH and you still had a couple of sports cars in the garage, but you're stuck with them because nobody wants to buy them.

Preach it, brother! Testify!

Me too.

Actually Florida is doing it the right way. If you've watched them you would know.

Ummmm maybe because we don't have many (any?) stars right now so rather than throw my hands in the air and say I'm never going to watch or support this team, you hope that there is someone around the corner. I have absolutely no say in the teams plans (nor do you) but as a fan of a hockey team that's the only hope I have right now. I can't change anything so rather than piss and moan day in and day out, I'm going to look to the future. I hope Darcy gets fired and a braintrust can come in here and turn things around but what can I talk about that now that doesn't involve b*tching about how bad my hockey team is. If it's so bad and you don't enjoy it, don't watch.

Good post.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Can we go back to the end of last year and gauge what percentage of Sabres fans wanted to tank to get the best picks? Or does that not fit this week's narrative?

The salary cap point is completely irrelevant.

Nevermind on the cap thing. I see it's been addressed already.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/18550-2011-trade-deadline-thread/page__st__360#entry256669

Oh...and please look at the date of the thread.....will you give me the LAST 3 YEARS of my life back?

http://forums.sabres...360#entry256669

Oh...and please look at the date of the thread.....will you give me the LAST 3 YEARS of my life back?

I wasn't talking about 2011. I was talking about the end of last year when the 'tank and pray' strategy seemed to gain strength.

[/size]

Watching one sh!tty hockey team is more than enough for me. :rolleyes:

Huberdeau is above and beyond anything BFLO has under 25 at the moment. There was more energy out of that team last night against the Bruins than the Sabres have had all year. Goaltending is the only issue they have going forward unless Markstrom gets his head out of his ass.

Want to know the difference? They've had the patience to wait three years to build a solid team going forward. They didn't ask for a total rebuild and then cry about it 9 games into the first season.

I wasn't talking about 2011. I was talking about the end of last year when the 'tank and pray' strategy seemed to gain strength.

I don't know if there was a thread with a poll about tanking... but I would have said yes last year to tanking for more reasons than I care for.

Please read my posts on that page.

I said exactly what would happen over the next 3 years by them not rebuilding then. The culture is STILL the same today, and they have half-heartedly, in slow motion started a rebuild. Now you are entrusting the SAME GM who it took 3 years to come to the realization of what I said 3 years ago....we wasted 3 offseasons of finding a true captain and leaders to show the kids how to play, and are 3 years behind the curve in the quantity of draft picks that could have been developing.

How anyone in the world wants to tell me that I am "negative", have a "narrative", or whatever.....your GM and team just wasted 3 years and got paid $5 million to just start the plan I advocated 3 years ago. But "what has he done wrong?"

There were others here who thought along the lines I did.

We are supposed to get excited about a GM who is 3 years behind the curve of a message board and we are even more of a laughingstock today?

JEESH!!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.