Worst team in Franchise History

papazoid

I was a Bisons fan and watch Punch build the Sabres from a expansion team to Stanley Cup contender in 5 years. Even the 71-72 season was exciting due to Gilbert Perrault and Rick Martin. No excitement being generated by the Sabres,

The 71-72 Sabres won only 16 games, the current Sabres are on pace to finish with about that many wins. I don't see where rebuilding means you have to suck, through 9 games this team seems to be moving further back instead of forward.

When does the rebuilding start ? At some point you have to remove all the wrecking balls before you can start rebuilding.

regier_darcy_6401.jpg

If we draft in the top 3 the next couple of drafts, were getting first line players

What IF and that is a big IF we added Sam Reinhart and Connor McDavid in the next 2 years? The catch being to do so Darcy has to captain the ship down the toilet just like he has been. If it were guaranteed would you do it?

Bflo is just following the Penguin's blueprint. Some years you have to totally tank. Not half-tank like the Sabres have been doing the last umpteen years.

trouble is, it's not a blueprint. your mileage will vary.

will you end up like the penguins or the hawks, or will you end up like the thrasher-jets or the panthers?

+1. There won't be a waiting list for seasons tickets after this year.

So? If the team manages to draft a couple of stars and turns into a perennial contender, they'll make back way more than they need to cover a couple of atrocious years.

What IF and that is a big IF we added Sam Reinhart and Connor McDavid in the next 2 years? The catch being to do so Darcy has to captain the ship down the toilet just like he has been. If it were guaranteed would you do it?

I think Regier is here regardless, so yes.

Absolutley and you don't think twice.

The 71-72 Sabres won only 16 games, the current Sabres are on pace to finish with about that many wins. I don't see where rebuilding means you have to suck, through 9 games this team seems to be moving further back instead of forward.

When does the rebuilding start ? At some point you have to remove all the wrecking balls before you can start rebuilding.

regier_darcy_6401.jpg

One difference between this team and 71-72 is that tie games no longer exist. Under 71-72 rules this team is still officially winless!

Some say we're following the Pittsburgh model by tanking. Its funny but I don't remember the Pens actually coming out and saying we're tanking for high picks. In a round about way both Regier and Black have said thats the plan. As a 40 year fan who has been through some highs and some lows this is the lowest I've seen this franchise fall integrity wise. Its an embarrassment seeing management not trying to improve this roster. For that reason alone both Black and Regier should be sent packing. As a team president and G.M. your job is to always do what you can to improve the franchise. I guess in a way they are doing what they can by not doing anything. Pathetic and spineless. Watching trainwrecks is oddly exciting. Not so much when you're on the train. I feel sorry for the few professionals that work for this organization. Ryan, Thomas, thanks for the memories but get out while you can.

Even if they go 1-80-1 this year and 0-82-0 next year, there would still be a 56% chance that we wouldn't get either player, much less both. In fact, there would only be a 6.25% chance of getting both.

Even if they go 1-80-1 this year and 0-82-0 next year, there would still be a 56% chance that we wouldn't get either player, much less both. In fact, there would only be a 6.25% chance of getting both.

Jeremy White actually brought up an interesting point. NJ has no pick this year due to the Kovalchuk contract. Does anyone here (lookin at you Chz) know how that would impact the lottery? Would they still be assigned a pick for lottery purposes and then have to forfeit it, or would they be excluded entirely?

If NJ finishes second last and can win but has to forfeit the pick, then our chances of keeping #1 this year go up significantly! :)

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Some say we're following the Pittsburgh model by tanking. Its funny but I don't remember the Pens actually coming out and saying we're tanking for high picks. In a round about way both Regier and Black have said thats the plan. As a 40 year fan who has been through some highs and some lows this is the lowest I've seen this franchise fall integrity wise. Its an embarrassment seeing management not trying to improve this roster. For that reason alone both Black and Regier should be sent packing. As a team president and G.M. your job is to always do what you can to improve the franchise. I guess in a way they are doing what they can by not doing anything. Pathetic and spineless. Watching trainwrecks is oddly exciting. Not so much when you're on the train. I feel sorry for the few professionals that work for this organization. Ryan, Thomas, thanks for the memories but get out while you can.

I don't know that Pitt ever explicitly stated they were tanking but it seemed pretty obvious to me at the time that they were. Just like the Nordiques did to get Sakic, Nolan, and Lindros.

I appreciate the honesty from the organization. If all these picks & prospects work out (ok most) you are looking at efficient rebuild.

2014 1st rounder-2014 1st rounder (Vanek)-Armia

Foligno-Hodgson-Girgensons

Flynn-Larsson-2014 2nd rounder

Tropp-Kea-???

Risto-Ehrhoff

Pysyk- Zadorov

McCabe-Myers

Enroth-Hackett

That's not including Grigorenko or any return on other players moved this season. I think we're going to be fine. It's just going to really suck for the foreseeable future.

I have no problem with the honesty saying it's a rebuild, but how can they keep Darcy in charge of the mess that he created? As a fan, it's as insulting as it gets.

Which is why the unsuccessful tank last season hurts. That looked like a great opportunity to begin a Pens or Hawks type rebuild.

Although I do agree with wishing we had a top 3 pick in last years draft, I still think (hope?) 5 years from now if this team has turned it around they will be talking about multiple cornerstones of the team picked in last years draft: Risto, Zadarov, Compher.

Good post. It blows my mind that so many people seem to think that this is going to work. Let's suck ass for a few years and all will be well. Really?? If it was that easy every team would follow that model. Why for the love of God do so many of you think our next big star is always just a year or two away. Every freaking year it's someone different. Then when reality sits in we hang our hat on someone else. The flavor of the week right now is J.T. Compher. Really??? 95% of us have never seen this kid skate. Could be standing next to us in the grocery store and you would have no clue.

Stop living in a fantasy world. The reality is we are the worst team in the NHL. We are one of the worst teams in the AHL. All these damn prospects we talk about are no different than half the other teams in the league.

This management and ownership is an absolute joke and if you are one of the few on here that are buying into this crap then you are a damn fool!!

Good post. It blows my mind that so many people seem to think that this is going to work. Let's suck ass for a few years and all will be well. Really?? If it was that easy every team would follow that model. Why for the love of God do so many of you think our next big star is always just a year or two away. Every freaking year it's someone different. Then when reality sits in we hang our hat on someone else. The flavor of the week right now is J.T. Compher. Really??? 95% of us have never seen this kid skate. Could be standing next to us in the grocery store and you would have no clue.

Stop living in a fantasy world. The reality is we are the worst team in the NHL. We are one of the worst teams in the AHL. All these damn prospects we talk about are no different than half the other teams in the league.

This management and ownership is an absolute joke and if you are one of the few on here that are buying into this crap then you are a damn fool!!

Who said it's guaranteed to work? All most of us are saying is that it's better to tank and thereby increase the odds of getting a truly elite impact player than to be stuck on the treadmill of mediocrity, still not make the playoffs, and lower your odds substantially of getting the types of players this team so desperately needs. And it's also worth noting that you can still make trades and FA acquisitions while you rebuild, it's not all about the draft.

Edited by Claude_Verret

Who said it's guaranteed to work? All most of us are saying is that it's better to tank and thereby increase the odds of getting a truly elite impact player than to be stuck on the treadmill of mediocrity, still not make the playoffs, and lower your odds substantially of getting the types of players this team so desperately needs. And it's also worth noting that you can still make trades and FA acquisitions while you rebuild, it's not all about the draft.

In today's world of sports the word "tank" should never be in your vocabulary. If you have to "tank" you have been mismanaged. Period. To then have the same management oversee the post "tank" rebuild could only happen in Buffalo.

In today's world of sports the word "tank" should never be in your vocabulary. If you have to "tank" you have been mismanaged. Period. To then have the same management oversee the post "tank" rebuild could only happen in Buffalo.

So what? He's here, and likely not going anywhere. So what would you rather do: keep picking in the 8-12 range, hope we get exceptionally lucky on a prospect and hope Regier can coherently assemble a team, which he hasn't done since the first lockout....or completely tank and get some impact players who can elevate the team around them, regardless of what else Regier does?

Who said it's guaranteed to work?

#Blueprint, gub dammit!

So what would you rather do: keep picking in the 8-12 range, hope we get exceptionally lucky on a prospect and hope Regier can coherently assemble a team, which he hasn't done since the first lockout....or completely tank and get some impact players who can elevate the team around them, regardless of what else Regier does?

Well, since you put it that way. :sick:

(Is "neither" a choice? I think it ought to be.)

So what? He's here, and likely not going anywhere. So what would you rather do: keep picking in the 8-12 range, hope we get exceptionally lucky on a prospect and hope Regier can coherently assemble a team, which he hasn't done since the first lockout....or completely tank and get some impact players who can elevate the team around them, regardless of what else Regier does?

What I really would like to do is get a GM in here who would get us picking 25-30. And how do you foresee getting those "impact" player? Your two biggest impact players are about to leave. You think we get impact players back for them? No we get a few more prospects and draft picks.

Therefore, the next two years we pick bottom 5. Then maybe we move up and pick 8-16 for a few more. So what your telling me is you would rather suck for two years, then maybe move up to mediocre for a year or two, and hope that if the plan works by year 4-6 we are upper tier.

Are you kidding me??

What I really would like to do is get a GM in here who would get us picking 25-30. And how do you foresee getting those "impact" player? Your two biggest impact players are about to leave. You think we get impact players back for them? No we get a few more prospects and draft picks.

Therefore, the next two years we pick bottom 5. Then maybe we move up and pick 8-16 for a few more. So what your telling me is you would rather suck for two years, then maybe move up to mediocre for a year or two, and hope that if the plan works by year 4-6 we are upper tier.

Are you kidding me??

You missed my point. I'm working under the assumption Regier is going to be here. That doesn't mean I want Regier to be here, it's just my judgment that he will be. Given that, would you rather toil around the bottom middle like we have since the co-caps left, or completely bottom out and have a significantly higher chance of drafting difference makers?

Are you kidding me??

Um, what?

All the more reason we need to finish as bad as we can to get better draft picks.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/21661-19-9-2/#entry447257

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.