GDT: Sabres at Columbus 9-17-2013 7:00PM

26CornerBlitz

I noticed Columbus ran a split squad last night. They hosted Buffalo and played in Minnesota last night. They do this a lot in baseball, It will be interesting to see if more teams will be doing this in the future. It makes a lot of sense especially early in the preseason.

Definitely is a sensible move with so many players in camp that ultimately yields more opportunities for evaluations under game conditions.

Interesting. If I were coach I'd flip Grigorenko and Larsson with those lines. Any theories as to why Larsson is getting the scorers instead of the more defensive or two way players?

I'm late to this party, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I wonder if it is something so simple as pairing up the Swede with the Finn and putting the two eastern european kids together. Build a little early chemistry.

I noticed Columbus ran a split squad last night. They hosted Buffalo and played in Minnesota last night. They do this a lot in baseball, It will be interesting to see if more teams will be doing this in the future. It makes a lot of sense especially early in the preseason.

I agree. I think it gives guys more ice time and more looks from the coaching staff that way. This preseason I am glad they did not do it however as split teams also means split coaches, I want RR to have as much time working with his coaching staff as possible.

Interesting. If I were coach I'd flip Grigorenko and Larsson with those lines. Any theories as to why Larsson is getting the scorers instead of the more defensive or two way players?

I know you posted this prior to the game so during the game, Larsson was actually really involved in the offensive side of things and had some really good opportunities. He just wasn't able to get one last night but I think there is some offense to Larsson and Rolston may be interested in that.

Larsson projects as one of those guys you can plug in anywhere and improve that line.

He can anchor a third line, but he's got enough skill to be the grit and conscience on line one or two.

If that projects out as true (and I think that is highly probable) than flopping Pominville for Zadorov, Larsson and Hackett seems pretty nice at the moment.

@BuffaloSabres

NEW VIDEO: 1st period highlights http://goo.gl/O4IKZv

2nd period highlights http://goo.gl/VptvV5

Thanks again @BlueJacketsNHL

Both of Foligno's goals were very sweet, especially the 2nd one.

Griggy's goal reminded me of Brad Boyes' goals -- right place, right time for a conversion from the doorstep. Nothing wrong with that, but not sustainable production.

Griggy's goal reminded me of Brad Boyes' goals -- right place, right time for a conversion from the doorstep. Nothing wrong with that, but not sustainable production.

whether sustainable or not, i take hope from the fact that the goal was the product of an aggressive 2-player forecheck.

Not many players can make that goal, and Grig's SO goal from the night before. That SO goal was as impressive as Vanek's best that I have seen. The goal last night is one not many players would make - you need awfully quick hands to pot that one.

Yeah, Grig's was in the right place to get that puck last night, but, and this is my point, your average forward wouldn't put that in.

This is the kind of stuff I saw in Grig's at the beginning of last season - apparent skill, talent and vision.

I think you're right to say those right-place goals won't lead to reliable production. Grig's, though, is absolutely the player you want in the right place at the right time. He just needs to work on putting himself in the right place at the right time - BEING in the right place and PUTTING yourself in the right place is a small, but fundamental difference.

Larsson projects as one of those guys you can plug in anywhere and improve that line.

He can anchor a third line, but he's got enough skill to be the grit and conscience on line one or two.

This is another reason why I think the Sabres year will be so interesting. I'm not expecting the team to make the playoffs but there are going to be a number of young guys we will get to see this year (as a call up or regular) that I've seen little of. After reading the Wild message board after the Pomm trade and reading how upset everyone was, I can't wait to see this kid play. They had high praise for him. Sounds like the type of attitude and hustle the Sabres need in slowly change their culture. Can't wait to see him in the regular season.

Not many players can make that goal, and Grig's SO goal from the night before. That SO goal was as impressive as Vanek's best that I have seen. The goal last night is one not many players would make - you need awfully quick hands to pot that one.

Yeah, Grig's was in the right place to get that puck last night, but, and this is my point, your average forward wouldn't put that in.

This is the kind of stuff I saw in Grig's at the beginning of last season - apparent skill, talent and vision.

I think you're right to say those right-place goals won't lead to reliable production. Grig's, though, is absolutely the player you want in the right place at the right time. He just needs to work on putting himself in the right place at the right time - BEING in the right place and PUTTING yourself in the right place is a small, but fundamental difference.

Very well said.

Freeman I worry it will take a modern miracle for you to be impressed by anything Grigorenko does :lol:

Well, Boyes was in right place/right time a half-dozen or so times when he first got here, and it ended badly.

I agree that Griggy showed some nifty hands on the goal though. And the SO goal was very sweet.

Freeman I worry it will take a modern miracle for you to be impressed by anything Grigorenko does :lol:

I assure you that I want him to be good as much as anyone else here does. I just didn't see anything at all from him last year and I think we're kidding ourselves if we're expecting much this year.

Chris Drury could put himself in the right place A LOT and not saying they are comparable at this point (they are not) but Grigorenko needs to keep putting himself in the right place. I think this will be another long tough year for him. Hopefully with some regular linemates and a supporting locker room and coach he can develop and learn.

This is another reason why I think the Sabres year will be so interesting. I'm not expecting the team to make the playoffs but there are going to be a number of young guys we will get to see this year (as a call up or regular) that I've seen little of. After reading the Wild message board after the Pomm trade and reading how upset everyone was, I can't wait to see this kid play. They had high praise for him. Sounds like the type of attitude and hustle the Sabres need in slowly change their culture. Can't wait to see him in the regular season.

I think the culture has changed. There was a lot less quit in that team last night. It is preseason so we need to keep that in mind but the level of compete has definitely improved. The catch is can they parlay preseason battling to all season battling. I have no desire to see this team suck for 41 games and then be like "man I guess we hsould try" for the last 41. They need to play 82 games of hardnosed hockey. I did like that last night they didn't go into dreaded Alamo mode.

Lots to like but I remain concious this preseason.

Well, Boyes was in right place/right time a half-dozen or so times when he first got here, and it ended badly.

I agree that Griggy showed some nifty hands on the goal though. And the SO goal was very sweet.

I assure you that I want him to be good as much as anyone else here does. I just didn't see anything at all from him last year and I think we're kidding ourselves if we're expecting much this year.

Most of Foligno's career goals have been half accidents and that isn't stopping you from being excited about him ;)

In all honesty, when I read your posts about Grigorenko, the tone just feels like you've all but completely written him off. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's how you come off to me.

Most of Foligno's career goals have been half accidents and that isn't stopping you from being excited about him ;)

In all honesty, when I read your posts about Grigorenko, the tone just feels like you've all but completely written him off. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's how you come off to me.

True. In Freemans defense there are aspects of Grigorenko's game that have me worried. He has the talent yes, but I don't see the level of compete needed to succeed at the NHL level. That level of compete and energy really seems to limit his chances and keeps him from being able to have more opportunities. He needs to work harder on the ice or he will be another talented kid who never goes anywhere.

You are certainly right about Foligno. That initial stretch at the end of 2011-12, in which he scored half a dozen goals on random deflections off of his butt, got everyone way too excited. I will be pleasantly surprised if he is able to pull his weight on the top line all year.

As for Griggy, I am not expecting anything this year. I have not written him off for his career though. My tone might be more negative than my actual thoughts about him -- perhaps this is a reaction to what I regard as unrealistic expectations that others have for him.

True. In Freemans defense there are aspects of Grigorenko's game that have me worried. He has the talent yes, but I don't see the level of compete needed to succeed at the NHL level. That level of compete and energy really seems to limit his chances and keeps him from being able to have more opportunities. He needs to work harder on the ice or he will be another talented kid who never goes anywhere.

I think the age gap between Foligno and Grigs makes a significant difference. Let's assess Grigs' future when he is 22.

As for Griggy, I am not expecting anything this year. I have not written him off for his career though. My tone might be more negative than my actual thoughts about him -- perhaps this is a reaction to what I regard as unrealistic expectations that others have for him.

Again, let's give him another three years. If what he has right now can be developed, I think the expectations are very realistic. May even be on the low side.

I think the age gap between Foligno and Grigs makes a significant difference. Let's assess Grigs' future when he is 22.

Again, let's give him another three years. If what he has right now can be developed, I think the expectations are very realistic. May even be on the low side.

I totally agree about wait-and-see on Griggy. I do think though that some feel he is going to be a difference-maker at #1 or #2 center this year -- which I would be very surprised (and happy) to see.

I do think though that some feel he is going to be a difference-maker at #1 or #2 center this year -- which I would be very surprised (and happy) to see.

I see, and on that I am with you. I'm not sure he has #1 (or #2) center capability right now. I'm willing to be flexible as the season progresses.

The Sabres played with our minds by hyping Grigs so much after his draft, then sticking him on an NHL roster he had no business making.

If he had played out the year in the Q, everyone would still be considering him an elite prospect and hoping he could make the jump.

He's still a better prospect than the Forsbergs and Faksas and Pouliots and Cecis he was drafted beside.

He may have a man's body, but he's still a boy who has to learn to use his skill against men.

Girgensons has had to fight for every inch to be where he is.

Grigorenko is a golden boy who is having to adjust to the game not coming easily to him for probably the first time in his life.

He still has first line ceiling, but we will have to be patient.

The Sabres played with our minds by hyping Grigs so much after his draft, then sticking him on an NHL roster he had no business making.

If he had played out the year in the Q, everyone would still be considering him an elite prospect and hoping he could make the jump.

He's still a better prospect than the Forsbergs and Faksas and Pouliots and Cecis he was drafted beside.

He may have a man's body, but he's still a boy who has to learn to use his skill against men.

Girgensons has had to fight for every inch to be where he is.

Grigorenko is a golden boy who is having to adjust to the game not coming easily to him for probably the first time in his life.

He still has first line ceiling, but we will have to be patient.

Epic post. Well done.

Archived