All about the Rochester Amerks 13-14

LabattBlue

I expect Zadorov to be with the Sabres this season. That's good enough for me.

I think it's much more likely that Nikita is back in juniors next year and in Rochester the following year.

As for Larsson, I would love to see him establish himself as a legit third line center, but we should all remember that that is a pretty important NHL player. Larsson hasn't shown anything to this point.

I think it's much more likely that Nikita is back in juniors next year and in Rochester the following year.

As for Larsson, I would love to see him establish himself as a legit third line center, but we should all remember that that is a pretty important NHL player. Larsson hasn't shown anything to this point.

With respect to Zadorov, I just don't see it. There's nothing more for him to gain at that level. He's not Grigorenko.

With respect to Zadorov, I just don't see it. There's nothing more for him to gain at that level. He's not Grigorenko.

There isn't much for him to gain in London, but there's less to lose in London than there is in Buffalo.

Well, I think the same argument about not having anything more to learn was applied by many people to Griggy.

More importantly, I think both GM and TN believe in the "better a year too late than a year too early" philosophy -- especially next year, when they're going to stink again.

Well, I think the same argument about not having anything more to learn was applied by many people to Griggy.

More importantly, I think both GM and TN believe in the "better a year too late than a year too early" philosophy -- especially next year, when they're going to stink again.

I think the problem with Grigorenko was that he very clearly wasn't ready and the coaches didn't want him there.

Zadorov is a much different situation. He didn't look lost or out of place during his time here. In fact he looked downright good.

I can't come up with a good reason for why our defense shouldn't be Myers, Ristolainen, Ehrhoff, Pysyk, Zadorov and McCabe.

All aboard the bad logic train.

Just because it doesn't please you. They may want to keep him away from so much losing and failure for another year. Don't want him to learn to lose. Especially with the kind of attitude he has. Don't want to kill that.

Just because it doesn't please you. They may want to keep him away from so much losing and failure for another year. Don't want him to learn to lose. Especially with the kind of attitude he has. Don't want to kill that.

So because Grigorenko couldn't handle it we have to baby every prospect now? No thanks.

So because Grigorenko couldn't handle it we have to baby every prospect now? No thanks.

Has nothing to do with Grigorenko. Right now the franchise is at rock bottom as far as the level of play in Buffalo. No need to expose a guy line Zadorov to that.

Article on the front page says Ullmark will be with the Amerks. I expect Hackett to be gone and Liewen, Makarov and Ullmark to compete for the remaining spots.

Weird all i read about Ullmark is him spending another year in Sweden before flying over to North America.

But to be honest besides Ullmark and Makarov, I'm not seeing many good goalies in our system.

I'm with you on this one. If he got his 9 games last year and gets another 9 games this year in the NHL, he's on the express train to the NHL the second he leaves the OHL. His only significant AHL time is going to be if London makes an early exit from the playoffs next year. Unfortunately, since they're one of those power teams, they'll be making their annual deep playoff run.

The biggest reason not to have Zadorov, or any of the recent draft picks, in Buffalo is because the team is going to be terrible. Why put them in a situation that they can't succeed in. I don't expect Murray to provide any immediate help for next season. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see Myers and Ehroff traded at the draft. There is no one to support Zadorov, Risto, etc. in Buffalo. Murray gets through one more season of the tank, the 2015 draft and then we see major changes to the roster for the 2015-2016 season. One more year in the AHL or juniors for everyone who is eligible, hopefully they get some playoff experience and then move up to the Sabres.

I think the problem with Grigorenko was that he very clearly wasn't ready and the coaches didn't want him there.

Zadorov is a much different situation. He didn't look lost or out of place during his time here. In fact he looked downright good.

I can't come up with a good reason for why our defense shouldn't be Myers, Ristolainen, Ehrhoff, Pysyk, Zadorov and McCabe.

The biggest reason not to have Zadorov, or any of the recent draft picks, in Buffalo is because the team is going to be terrible. Why put them in a situation that they can't succeed in. I don't expect Murray to provide any immediate help for next season. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see Myers and Ehroff traded at the draft. There is no one to support Zadorov, Risto, etc. in Buffalo. Murray gets through one more season of the tank, the 2015 draft and then we see major changes to the roster for the 2015-2016 season. One more year in the AHL or juniors for everyone who is eligible, hopefully they get some playoff experience and then move up to the Sabres.

Wahh they need someone to hold their hands wahh.

No, no they don't. You want veteran support? Ehrhoff and Myers are your guys.

I want our best prospects to develop. Playing in the NHL, even if the team is mediocre, is still better than wasting away in some minor league. Other players aren't being sheltered. Girgensons doesn't need to be coddled. McCabe and Deslauriers are going to play. What about their feelings? Or some bullsh*t to that effect.

The team is going to suck if the players on it suck. Put your best players on it. These kids have a lot to learn, so let them.

I want our best prospects to develop. Playing in the NHL, even if the team is mediocre, is still better than wasting away in some minor league. Other players aren't being sheltered. Girgensons doesn't need to be coddled. McCabe and Deslauriers are going to play. What about their feelings? Or some bullsh*t to that effect.

The team is going to suck if the players on it suck. Put your best players on it. These kids have a lot to learn, so let them.

Hold up for a second. The first thing is that McCabe will be turning 21 this year and Deslauriers is 23. Zadorov is 19 until march. This leads to the second thing. No one is talking about "babying" our prospects. What we are talking about though is not rushing our prospects. I love Zadorov because he brings exactly what the Sabres need. The thing is he is the defender we deserve but not the one we need right now. His game improved leaps and bounds in London this year, his 2nd year in NA. Leaving him out for 1 more season and then in 2015 letting him jump straight to the NHL isn't a bad idea at all especially for a defender. I won't advocate what to do with Zadorov because we will have to see him at training camp before deciding. The worst part of a rebuild is the wait for fresh, talented, young players to make the jump. Give them time and remember Girgensons is the exception.

Hold up for a second. The first thing is that McCabe will be turning 21 this year and Deslauriers is 23. Zadorov is 19 until march. This leads to the second thing. No one is talking about "babying" our prospects. What we are talking about though is not rushing our prospects. I love Zadorov because he brings exactly what the Sabres need. The thing is he is the defender we deserve but not the one we need right now. His game improved leaps and bounds in London this year, his 2nd year in NA. Leaving him out for 1 more season and then in 2015 letting him jump straight to the NHL isn't a bad idea at all especially for a defender. I won't advocate what to do with Zadorov because we will have to see him at training camp before deciding. The worst part of a rebuild is the wait for fresh, talented, young players to make the jump. Give them time and remember Girgensons is the exception.

I think Zadorov could be another Girgensons type of exemption. I don't think another year of Juniors is going to kill him, but I think he'd benefit from playing the faster pace of the NHL more so.

I'm really not interested in looking at player development through the lense of "look at what X player did". I want the players who are ready to be playing. That's what needs to happen. Not ready? Fine, let them stay where they are. But this aversion to playing them on the Sabres just because we expect that team to suck does not mean that won't be the place where they are in the best position to succeed.

Play them where they belong.

Edited by d4rksabre

I'm really not interested in looking at player development through the lense of "look at what X player did". I want the players who are ready to be playing. That's what needs to happen. Not ready? Fine, let them stay where they are. But this aversion to playing them on the Sabres just because we expect that team to suck does not mean that won't be the place where they are in the best position to succeed.

Play them where they belong.

I said nothing about the team sucking. My main concern isn't the team it is what does Zadorov gain by staying in London and what does he gain by coming to Buffalo.

In London he will get top #1 minutes. He can work on everything from positioning to his burgeoning offensive talent. He will be a big fish in a small pond. In Buffalo he will be getting whatever ice time he earns, not sure what that would be. He will be forced to adjust on the fly and have less time to work on offense and positioning. However he will be competing at NHL speed.

The real question that Timmy has to ask is "Has Zadorov maxed out his ability to learn and grow as a player in London?" If that answer is yes then by all means bring him to Buffalo. If that answer is no, let him play another year in London and grow the little bit more.

Weird all i read about Ullmark is him spending another year in Sweden before flying over to North America.

But to be honest besides Ullmark and Makarov, I'm not seeing many good goalies in our system.

Cal Peterson is young so he is kind of out of sight, out of mind. But he has a chance over the next few years to establish himself as a prospect at Notre Dame

Ehrhoff and Myers are probably gone at the draft.

Unless the Sabres drastically change their stated direction and actions, the Sabres won't be mediocre they will be very bad possibly worse than this past season. And they should be to maximize draft position in the 2015 draft.

My take on the Sabres approach to player development: It seems that Murray and Nolan agree that young players should spend time in the AHL or juniors unless they are spectacular. The Sabres don't have any players that are spectacular. However, if someone shows next year that they are spectacular they'll be in the NHL.

Deslauriers will play with the Sabres. He's 23 and has already spent 2 full seasons between the AHL and 17 games with the Sabres.

McCabe will most likely spend next year in Rochester.

Girgensons spent a year in the AHL and did little until the playoffs. He showed that he was ready this year to play in the NHL.

I don't think anyone is worried about the players feelings when it comes to where they play. The major concern is the player's development and that probably occurs best when the player is put in a position to succeed and learn all facets of the game. I don't think that occurs on the Sabres next season.

Zadorov wasn't exactly Bobby Orr when his team was getting bounced from the playoffs and Memorial Cup, so I think there's plenty he can still work on in juniors. The problem with him adjusting to the speed of the NHL is he'll be so busy doing that, he won't be able to improve other aspects of his game.

Zadorov wasn't exactly Bobby Orr when his team was getting bounced from the playoffs and Memorial Cup, so I think there's plenty he can still work on in juniors. The problem with him adjusting to the speed of the NHL is he'll be so busy doing that, he won't be able to improve other aspects of his game.

If he assumes his ultimate form, he still won't be bobby orr. He's just not that kind of defenseman.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.