2013 NHL Draft Grade

Swedesessed

Draft Day Grade  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give the Buffalo Sabres for the 2013 NHL Draft?

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D
    • F

Alllan Muir of SI.com gives the Sabres an A+ : http://nhl.si.com/2013/07/01/nhl-draft-grades-sabres-blue-jackets-get-top-marks-in-eastern-conference/

Buffalo Sabres

The Sabres had an obvious need for size and talent on the back end and GM Darcy Regier addressed it in a way that exceeded the highest hopes of the team’s fans. Rasmus Ristolainen (8) and Nikita Zadorov (16) are big, mean, impact players. The second round was just as fruitful, with hard-working forwards JT Compher (35) and Connor Hurley (38) and sniper Justin Bailey (52) giving the front lines an injection of second/third line potential. Add in the trade that netted defenseman Jamie McBain from Carolina and the day could not have gone better for this rebuilding franchise. A+

Solid A.

This was an excellent draft. Regier/Devine have done very well during the Pegula era.

All the negativity I hear about the team (on WGR in particular - what's wrong with those guys?) is based on emotion and frustration, but not on clear headed logic.

I like the direction the team is headed and I haven't been able to say that for many years. They aren't contenders yet, but they are on the rise with a draft based philosophy.

I'm optimistic that the team is headed in the right direction.

As a Sabre fan from Day One, following this team is all about emotion and frustration. If I used clear-headed logic, I would have given up on this team halfway through this season and gone off to be a Blackhawks fan. But, my heart belongs to the Sabres, as difficult as it has been these past few years. Heading in the right direction? Time will tell, but Darcy has led us down this garden path before.

Clearly wanted to get bigger and more hard working.

Clearly got bigger and more hard-working.

But we also got five guys who can also play top 6/4 roles.

Not too many teams could say the same.

And we didn't reach for anyone.

Only flaw was a failure to trade for a scoring forward.

It will be interesting to compare Compher and Risto to Lindholm five years from now.

Cliff notes please?

It's a 14 minute plus interview. I posted the link so people can listen to it on their own and not have to worry about my possibly inaccurate filter.

He really loved the Sabres picks through the 3rd round w/o getting into individual analysis....besides that...my typing sucks.

B+

I was happy, met my expectations.

No top line forward that is near NHL ready is my only complaint.

Yet again I agree with your always level headed opinion on a topic. This was a good draft for the Sabres. They'll probably suck this season, but the draft was good independent of that.

As a Sabre fan from Day One, following this team is all about emotion and frustration. If I used clear-headed logic, I would have given up on this team halfway through this season and gone off to be a Blackhawks fan. But, my heart belongs to the Sabres, as difficult as it has been these past few years. Heading in the right direction? Time will tell, but Darcy has led us down this garden path before.

As a fan, emotion and frustration are evident. However, if you are analyzing what is best for the team then I will always side with logic and thoughtful objective evaluation.

As an example, if you analyze the trades Regier has made in the Pegula era. The Sabres have benefitted from almost every one of them.

Pominville,Regehr trade2,Leopold, Brennan,Roy,Hodgson,Gaustad,Regehr trade1 all winners in my book.

During the Rigas era, the Larry Quinn era and the Golisano era many of the decisions made were not hockey decisions, but financial decisions. Since Pegula has been owner I think Regier has done better than the haters believe. Of course, if you're drawing a conclusion based on emotion and frustration then Regier is viewed unfavorably to many people. If you look at his actions more objectively and logically he looks a lot better over the last couple years.

Yet another A for the Sabres draft: http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2013-07-01/nhl-draft-grades-2013-nashville-chicago-colorado-pittsburgh-boston

BUFFALO SABRES: A. Added needed size on the blue line with two first-round picks, Finnish defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen and Russian Nikita Zadorov, then went for forwards with three second-round picks, J.T. Compher, Connor Hurley, and Justin Bailey. Made a solid trade, sending Andrej Sekera to Carolina for Jamie McBain and one of those second-rounders.

I'd give it an A-. Addresses some of the needs of the team, but more to go.

I wrote somewhere else that this looks like year one of the two-year draft plan, with the plan being that without players to score goals the Sabres will be in the top-5 picks next year and pick up the top-6 forward they need. Ideally Darcy can flip assets (Miller for a young roster player and prospect, maybe?). If he'd gone the other direction, forwards this year then D, I think the forwards put enough pucks in the net to screw up draft position. 2013-14 will be lean, but ideally the picks from last year, this year, and next year all start to mature in 2015-16 to put something together.

"you have to give something to get something" is bandied around a lot, we fans are going to have to "give" 2013-14 to "get" a more promising 2015-16.

Corey Pronman of Hockey Prospectus was on Sports Radio 1270 today and gave his assessment of all eleven 2013 Sabres' picks: http://www.sportsrad...=5673&is_corp=0

He doesn't do draft grades, but definitely a good listen.

Hockey Prospectus NHL Draft Wrap-Up by Corey Pronman: http://hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1550

First round: Buffalo walked away with two of the best defensemen in this draft class in Ristolainen and Zadorov. They are two big defenders who play different styles. Ristolainen is an older, more advanced player who played significant minutes in a top league. He is mobile and tough but can show above-average offensive ability and defend versus good players. He is the second-most NHL-ready defenseman in the 2013 draft class behind Jones. Zadorov is a tremendous physical specimen. He is 6'5'', 220 pounds, with great skating ability. He embraces the physical game and simply crushes opponents on a nightly basis. His offense is just average and he still needs work on his reads, but there is a lot of upside to his game. He will likely need a few years to fully develop before advancing to the NHL.

Rest of the picks: I'm a big fan of J.T. Compher. He can skate, handle the puck, make good reads in both ends, score, and play a gritty game. He has average size, but almost every other attribute about him is pointing in the right direction. Hurley could have been in my first round based on talent but I had him a little lower because he was a high school kid. He is a good to great skater, who can make a ton of plays with the puck but he could stand to be a little more aggressive in the physical game. Bailey is risk/reward pick. He is a big body with great hands and a top notch shot. He is a bit raw due to missing time from injuries and has a bit of an awkward stride. Baptiste came on well in the second half. He has great speed, plays hard, and has about average offensive potential. I liked Possler last year with the Swedish U18s. He is not the biggest guy, but he has quality speed and skill and fine potential in that range. Florentino is a defender with a good frame who scouts praise for his ability to move the puck well, and he has a big shot. Skating and defensive coverage are his issues going forward. Malone flashed good speed and skill with the USA Under-18 team. He has notable upside, and is certainly a guy to track when he starts playing at Harvard. Locke was touted in previous years, but never lived up the billing. He had a better year. He has quality skill and offensive hockey sense and is a nice flier type of pick to go with late.

Summary: Buffalo stocked their system at this draft, getting players of all types, and I'm not just saying that because their first five picks were suspiciously close to my rankings! They got a very good all-around defenseman, a physical monster on D, a great all-around center, a couple of toolsy forwards, a safe third line guy, some offensive gambles in the late rounds, and a goalie. As Buffalo looks to spark an organizational rebuild, this draft may prove to be a very key part of that.

As a fan, emotion and frustration are evident. However, if you are analyzing what is best for the team then I will always side with logic and thoughtful objective evaluation.

As an example, if you analyze the trades Regier has made in the Pegula era. The Sabres have benefitted from almost every one of them.

Pominville,Regehr trade2,Leopold, Brennan,Roy,Hodgson,Gaustad,Regehr trade1 all winners in my book.

During the Rigas era, the Larry Quinn era and the Golisano era many of the decisions made were not hockey decisions, but financial decisions. Since Pegula has been owner I think Regier has done better than the haters believe. Of course, if you're drawing a conclusion based on emotion and frustration then Regier is viewed unfavorably to many people. If you look at his actions more objectively and logically he looks a lot better over the last couple years.

I actually don't care whether Regier "won" or "lost" any trades. I care whether or not the TEAM wins. I'm emotional because I've followed my hometown NHL team since they were founded and frustrated because they have not won a Stanley Cup in 43 years, and haven't been "in the hunt" for over a decade.

I was in junior high when the Sabres came into being (1970). I am planning on retiring in 6 or 7 years. A Sabres' Cup win doesn't look imminent before then. That is just sad. Maybe a financially unfettered Regier will be able to build a winner. I just hope that I'm not living in a retirement home in Boca Raton when it happens.....

More high praise, this time from:

The Hockey Writers, 2013 NHL Draft Results: Top 10 Team Performances: http://thehockeywrit...m-performances/

1. Buffalo Sabres

From the onset to the conclusion, from round 1 through to round 7, from Ristolainen to Locke, no team had a better overall draft than the Sabres. Each pick presented really good value from the respective draft position. While Ristolainen and Zadorov add the obvious size, skill and skating ability to the blueline every team covets, the true gold mine was in the second round, where Cup contenders often find key contributors (see Blackhawks and Bruins lineups).

J.T. Compherhas the skill and will to be a winner. Connor Hurley possesses an impressive offensive skill-set; the youngest player drafted will need some time to develop before being NHL ready, but should be well worth the wait. Justin Bailey, son of former Buffalo Bills linebacker Carlton Bailey, has immense potential, but was slowed by injuries this past season. Eastern hockey bird dog Eldon MacDonald has stated that Bailey reminds him somewhat of former NHL great – the gentleman and ultra-smooth Jean Beliveau.

post-535-0-51763700-1372896300_thumb.jpeg

I give them a C.

So they picked up a good defenseman, so what? Given the talent in this draft, it would have been impossible NOT to pick up a good player at the nr. 8 slot. So I don't give them much credit for that.

Sorry to be contrary, but you don't pass up on a player like Nichushkin period. Particularly when this team is woefully short on scorers. As I have said before, we have promising Dmen coming up, but no one (outside of Armia) coming up as a scoring forward. Yes, I know there is a risk there, but when you have the chance to draft another Malkin, you don't hesitate because it is worth the risk (which IMO was minimal). The Sabres will regret this, mark my words.

They do not get credit for Zadorov, who not only is another defenseman, but won't be playing for us for another 3 years or so, if then. Instead they should have gone after Mantha or Shinkaruk, who again, could have helped up front.

Waiting until the 2nd round to pick up a forward was total negligence IMO.

Sorry to be contrary, but you don't pass up on a player like Nichushkin period. Particularly when this team is woefully short on scorers. As I have said before, we have promising Dmen coming up, but no one (outside of Armia) coming up as a scoring forward. Yes, I know there is a risk there, but when you have the chance to draft another Malkin, you don't hesitate because it is worth the risk (which IMO was minimal). The Sabres will regret this, mark my words.

He could just as easily be Marek Zagrapan. As could Grigorenko, for that matter. You really want to see the resulting suffering from gambling on your first pick two years in a row? The Sabres will likely have a nice, high pick next draft too.

I give them a C.

So they picked up a good defenseman, so what? Given the talent in this draft, it would have been impossible NOT to pick up a good player at the nr. 8 slot. So I don't give them much credit for that.

They do not get credit for Zadorov, who not only is another defenseman, but won't be playing for us for another 3 years or so, if then. Instead they should have gone after Mantha or Shinkaruk, who again, could have helped up front.

Waiting until the 2nd round to pick up a forward was total negligence IMO.

I was delighted with the 2nd round ...Compher, Hurley, and Bailey was a monster second round IMO.

You are entitled to your feelings of course, but I don't see Mantha in the league soon. Shinkaruk is a slight possibility....but Risto is probably one of the 5 most NHL ready in the draft. I don't see anyone taken 11-30 making an NHL roster this year.

I was delighted with the 2nd round ...Compher, Hurley, and Bailey was a monster second round IMO.

You are entitled to your feelings of course, but I don't see Mantha in the league soon. Shinkaruk is a slight possibility....but Risto is probably one of the 5 most NHL ready in the draft. I don't see anyone taken 11-30 making an NHL roster this year.

You are quite possibly correct. But to my point, I'd say the chances of Nichushkin making our team this year are a lot better than Ristolainen's.

You are quite possibly correct. But to my point, I'd say the chances of Nichushkin making our team this year are a lot better than Ristolainen's.

Doesn't take much to make this team as a forward; Nich could quite well make the roster and not be the better player long term.

He could just as easily be Marek Zagrapan. As could Grigorenko, for that matter. You really want to see the resulting suffering from gambling on your first pick two years in a row? The Sabres will likely have a nice, high pick next draft too.

You could legitimately say that every pick is a chance. But the qualities this kid has are outstanding and just what we need to bolster this team's development. We could build our future defense around Myers or McNabb or Pysyk. We could have built our future forwards around this kid.

Doesn't take much to make this team as a forward; Nich could quite well make the roster and not be the better player long term.

And Ristolainen could be a bust. There are no guarantees. But considering the reward/risk factor, Nichushkin was worth it IMO.

And Ristolainen could be a bust. There are no guarantees. But considering the reward/risk factor, Nichushkin was worth it IMO.

I like both players. If you take an organizational look at the Sabres' Forward prospects....They have no players like Nichushkin and IMO should have accepted whatever risk was involved in drafting him by overlooking the so called "Russian Factor".

I'm not a draft fan, I'm a hockey fan. This draft stuff is out of my depth. I don't track the available talent until I see them playing with the big club. I like to watch hockey games; I don't know enough about prospects and drafts to pass judgment. I just wanna see some hockey.

Archived